FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anyone else notice how similar the FCPX GUI is to Adobe?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Corbett
Does anyone else notice how similar the FCPX GUI is to Adobe?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:07:49 am

Does anyone else notice how similar the FCPX GUI is to Adobe? I reckon the designers might be guilty of some plagiarism! But that's okay. I MUCH prefer the GUI palette of FCPX as compared to the dreary FCP7 layout. The dark grey and tonal look reminds me of edit*, smoke and combustion. It’s much easier on the eyes and easier to identify elements and tools.

I'm most concerned about why the ability to import old FCP7 projects was removed from X. Even when CS4 was released, it was a major, major rewrite and there were many difficulties with backwards compatibility, but Adobe persisted (I was on the beta team) and it was perfected eventually. Apple seems to have thought this was too much trouble.

I do agree with how shocked people are with the feature destruction in X. Only those in the know can tell, and they’re not squawking. But for those of you who are nervous about learning Premiere, it's not a bad experience, and as there are both good and bad things when you migrate from one NLE to another, you would find much to like. I successfully integrated Final Cut Pro into my CS5 Mac world a couple of years and I'm sure Final Cut users can do it in reverse.

For those who don’t want to migrant to another platform, I went through a similar process when discreet edit* folded in the early 2000’s. I got at least another 18 months out of the system before I felt I had to move on. It was not an easy period of my working life. So I feel for those who have a considerable investment in Final Cut.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: Does anyone else notice how similar the FCPX GUI is to Adobe?
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:14:33 am

Looks exactly like imovie to me...

Have you done a Red workflow in Adobe from offline to grade? And where did you go for the grade if so...?

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:26:52 am

I've never even opened iMovie, and sorry no Red use here, but over on the Red-user site, you'll find lots of good stuff about Red and Premiere. We mainly use XDCAM from the Sony F3.

I was surprised at the time that Adobe was passionate about developing native Red support, even before the camera was hot. Premiere was always known as a "student" amateur product and I think that perception always burned at them while CS was developed; that it wasn't "pro" and not up there with Final Cut and Avid.

But along with Red, just about any format that exists can be directly imported with any "log and transfer" mumbo jumbo and start editing immediately.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:06:16 pm

I have done one project in RED on PP CS5 and I have to say, it's AMAZING. There's no diference then editing any other kind of media, exempt that you can click on any clip and select source properties and play around with the raw file to your hearts content. Also, with the 5.5 upgrade, the REDRaw controls have gotten a lot better. You can now do most of the functions that you can do with a raw DSLR still with 4K video... kinda blew my mind when I first played with it.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:25:40 pm

[John-Michael Seng-Wheeler] "I have done one project in RED on PP CS5 and I have to say, it's AMAZING"

I've played around with it too. I have CS5 and plenty of red of tinker with. I just haven't conformed it to a grading system. I only have Color and have not read much about taking it to DaVinci yet. Hope some here have had success or know the workflow. I contacted Adobe about this before my last project as I was really fighting hard to get out of FCP, but even they hadn't done anything at that point so was told to hold off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]