FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best (meaning, "fastest") Way for a Professional Editor to Learn Final Cut Pro X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Zimmerman
Best (meaning, "fastest") Way for a Professional Editor to Learn Final Cut Pro X?
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:21:31 pm

Sorry to sound useless, but bear with me. With FCPX 10.0.06, I'm doing my best to give it another shot.

And good grief, it is a miserable and daunting undertaking.

I'm a very (very very) experienced offline editor. Does anyone have any opinions on what the best book, online tutorial, or even in-person class might be for someone like me? I just need getting footage in, cutting, and getting lists out covered — no coloring, no distributing, etc.

Any thoughts? I can come at it from either a FCPX for Avid Editors angle, or a FCPX for FCP7 Editors angle.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: Best (meaning, "fastest") Way for a Professional Editor to Learn Final Cut Pro X?
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:35:26 pm

[Kevin Zimmerman] "... a miserable and daunting undertaking."

Kevin,

According to Bill, it takes six months to find the bodies.
(http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/43078)

Franz

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Best (meaning, "fastest") Way for a Professional Editor to Learn Final Cut Pro X?
on Nov 7, 2012 at 9:29:30 pm

Just to amplify my "6 months" comment....

I think that's fair if what you're trying to do is achieve what can fairly be called "mastery" - in other words, be the kind of operator for whom there are few if any weaknesses in understanding and operation of all the software's modules.

Having said that - it's perfectly possible to do professional editing in just a month or two of dedicated exploration.

The timeline isn't really all that different other than understanding clip relationships, when and how magnetism helps or doesn't, and some basic stuff like understanding how compounding works.

Other things like mult-cam and Motion interchange will be important to some - but not important at all to others.

Finally, you'll spend a good bit of that full six months moving beyond just understanding the toolset to the more complex stuff like how to maximize your personal use of keywords and the underlying database.

One more thing to note. The amount of time and hassle you have adapting to X depends largely on how adaptable you are as an editor. The people who have the MOST trouble, seem to be those who resist coming to grips with the fact that things you've come to expect ALL editors do to in a similar way - X doesn't.

If you can clear your mental decks, it's faster. The more you demand it honor your prior experience, the bigger the fight you'll have in store.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

willy pimentel
on Nov 7, 2012 at 8:23:46 pm

Look for izzyhyman. Got up to speed ver y quickly
And Best of all, the intro Class is free

Willy Pimentel
Motion Graphics Editor
Macbook Pro 2011 thunderbolt/ TBolt Displey/ 2 SSD Hds /lacie Tbolt

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 7, 2012 at 8:27:59 pm

Free but I don't think they've been updated for 10.0.6
http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

I think Ripple Training is very good.
http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/apple-pro-apps-tutorials/final-cut...

I suspect MacProVideo is also good given who the tutorialists are.
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/final+cut+pro+x-suite

Larry Jordan is also good but it's not something I'd equate with "quick."

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
on Nov 7, 2012 at 8:25:22 pm

Check out ripple training. These guys are good.

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Nov 7, 2012 at 8:52:23 pm

The Ripple training series is quite good. I've heard Larry Jordan's is too. I'mm sure both will get you where you want to be.

I've been cutting on FCP since 2000. Made the switch to X in January. Never looked back. It's really not hard to learn. It's just different in some fundamental ways. My suggestion is to start with a real project that has a for off due date and jump in. Then do the training whenever you get hung up.

IMHO, if you don't master to tape, FXPX 10.0.6 is superior to 7 in just about every respect. Good luck.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:39:10 pm

I watched tutorial after tutorial from all the sources listed below. I refused to let myself touch the program for a set period of time while I kept watching these tutorials. By the time I saw a few 'build your own transitions and generators' tutorials, I was chomping at the bit.

In other words, observe the workflow until you get the passion to use it that you got as a kid to learning new software. Getting the car keys isn't enough. You have to watch Dad drive it for a few years to really want to drive yourself. Then it won't be a chore, it'll be a joy.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 8, 2012 at 9:26:23 am

[Kevin Zimmerman] " I can come at it from either a FCPX for Avid Editors angle, or a FCPX for FCP7 Editors angle."

Can you come at it from a "I've never used an NLE angle"? I'm being serious, not snippy. When I learn a new NLE (or return to an NLE I haven't used in years) I try to approach it as a blank slate that's never used an NLE before. Once I've learned how the NLE wants to be used and the underlying philosophy, for lack of a better term, then I'll venture into the realm of "Well, I used to do X in my other NLE, how can I accomplish the same task / is there a comparable feature in this NLE?"

With that being said, I haven't ventured much beyond the superficial with FCP X because it doesn't behove me to know it. If/when that changes I'll reevaluate of course.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:22:25 pm

[Andrew Kimery] ""Well, I used to do X in my other NLE, how can I accomplish the same task / is there a comparable feature in this NLE?""

But that's precisely the issue.

If you follow this thinking, you'll be looking for traditional "slots" to fit your new knowledge pegs into.

The whole point of X - was that it changed the shape and position of many of the slots.

My best example is still that if you've traditionally done ALL your editing operations on a timeline - and now X gives you the Event Browser where you can do lots and lots of pre-editing that makes your timeline operations more efficient - but because you're accustomed to an "all timeline" focus - you'll be tempted to start out learning exclusively timeline operations - when it would be better for you to start at the TOP of the X flow (import operations) learn that thoroughly - then proceed into the Event Browser - from their to learning the proper database operations - then to bring all of THAT knowledge into the X timeline - so that you learn it in the context of where it lives and works.

This (in my opinion) is one of the BIG issues with the transition. If you SEE X is just another version of what you already know - it impedes your understanding of how it really operates and worse, you don't start building best practices from the beginning.

I personally did a LOT of this 16 months back when I learned X. And I look back at my first dozen projects and I can see clearly now that I screwed up TONS of stuff through my ignorance.

Those projects are a mess. They have screwed up keyword collections. They have Events that should connect to Project A connected to Project C. They have assets that belong to Edit D living in Project J - and so forth.

ALL because I initially tried to operate X as if it was just an extension of my decade in Legacy.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 8, 2012 at 8:56:18 pm

[Bill Davis] "But that's precisely the issue.

If you follow this thinking, you'll be looking for traditional "slots" to fit your new knowledge pegs into."

I'm not sure how you did it but you completely misread my post. I said I think the best way to approach a new NLE is to pretend you've never used an NLE before so you don't bring any baggage with you (which can impede the learning process). I also pointedly talked about accomplishing tasks because in the end we need to be able to accomplish the same tasks (edit multicam, export for approvals, send out for coloring, etc.,) even if the tools/features/methodology used is different.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 8, 2012 at 3:16:53 pm

I'll ask the obvious: Did you read the manual?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:19:43 pm

[Kevin Zimmerman] "And good grief, it is a miserable and daunting undertaking."

Exactly as I found trying to relearn Avid after using FCP for a number of years.

There are LOTS of free tutorials on YouTube and Ripple training is excellent

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:30:09 pm

This is what I used: http://www.dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/Manuals.html
The manual for 10.0.6 isn't out yet, but these visual manuals are well worth the money.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:57:20 pm

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Nov 8, 2012 at 5:14:28 pm

After editing for over 35 years, I took the Lynda FCPX essentials online curse and it did the job for me, Now i fly on the NLE.

Return to posts index

massimo verona
on Nov 10, 2012 at 6:46:30 am

One thing I found useful as a pretty novice user was NOT to try to learn fast. There's a certain amount of time needed to learn, for the neurons to make the connections. Feeling anxious and worrying about how fast it was coming just made me not want to practice.

I spent some more time just nosing around the interface, trying things out without feeling pressure I had to get this chore done right now... I learned some good stuff pretty quick that way.

Failing as fast as I can at writing producing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]