FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:25:41 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Again.. semantics. X Events are like FCP 7 or MC Projects, not bins."

Actually yes and no. From a pure data point-of-view, an FCP 7 project contains all the data, as does an MC bin (not the project) and as does an FCP X Event. So, FCP 7 Project = FCP X Event (or Project) = MC Bin. At the Finder level, each of these constitute individual files that contain all of the relevant data within. In the case of both FCP X and MC, I can move around Event (X), Project (X) and Bin (MC) files independent of the larger production they are part of.

[Charlie Austin] "KW Collections are the analog to bins."

Sort of. They are only analogous to bins (in the application's use of the term within the UI) if we are restricting that to bins that contain only subclips. Master clips only exist at the Event level. In FCP X, if you trash a Collection, the master clips are still there. In FCP 7 or MC, if you trash a bin and the clips inside, you will have deleted master clips if that's what was inside.

But veering back on-topic, the idea that FCP X Events = FCP 7 Projects = MC Bins supports the original notion that I started with. Namely... How is the database structure of X really all that different than what's come before it? I contend it's not. Merely that the databasing method is different in the programming sense, but hardly different in any practical way that the user cares about.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]