FORUMS: list search recent posts

Was this discussed?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Craig Seeman
Re: Was this discussed?
on Nov 4, 2012 at 3:49:13 pm

No, because we all know Phillip is right except for everyone else who thinks he's wrong.

I'm not sure of the detail of the metrics and analytics someone gets by selling software used in a particular NLE but if they are of any value, Phillip may actually know who is buying his products.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Nov 4, 2012 at 4:35:37 pm

Philip talks a lot about X being the fastest NLE on offer. I keep hearing this over and over, that it's 2-4 times faster to use X. How? I already work quickly using the keyboard as much as I can, and surely most of the speed in editing is gained from knowing what to cut and where to put it without needing to try out multiple scenarios before finding the right one. That comes from experience and practice, not a new interface.

So, how is X faster? What specifically does it do differently that will speed up my workflow? I'd really like to know because if it does (which I haven't found to be the case yet) I will certainly use it more often.

Ben.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:14:38 pm

[Benjamin Mullins] "So, how is X faster?"

I wont necessarily claim it's faster in every aspect but some examples are:

The ability to move a clip and its connected clips without having to make a complex selection or complex trims in advance of the move to avoid clip collisions.

The ability to manage media such that they can exist in multiple simultaneous Keyword Collections and Smart Collections without having to duplicate them.

The Timeline Index which (maybe with some irony) is like having a living EDL which allows you to jump from any one point to any other point quickly. I mention the irony because it's almost like edit system of yore when you can jump from edit 1 to edit 189 on a list be simply selecting and loading the edit (but then you'd have to wait for the machines to cue or reels to change).

Not having to deal with track management since tracks seemed to serve competing purposes of compositing and organization. I don't have to "Track target." I don't have to deal with V4 being tied to A7, A8 (for example). True you may have to "Role target" but I find that easier to manage (especially visually for me).

Precision Editor makes certain common trimming faster for me (although admittedly not as deep as trimming in Avid but I'm talking about speed for common functions).

It's not to say FCPX is faster in every function but it's fast in some very common functions at least for me and apparently for many others as well.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 5, 2012 at 12:21:48 pm

I guess if you really want to know maybe give it a try for a few projects.
But if your content where you are, then no worries.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:10:55 pm

[Benjamin Mullins] "So, how is X faster? What specifically does it do differently that will speed up my workflow? I'd really like to know because if it does (which I haven't found to be the case yet) I will certainly use it more often."

For me, a speed boost comes from being able to edit without any rendering. I could render in the background, but I don't need to; it just plays through. Also, the ability to "roll" my own effects and title templates in Motion has made things faster. I used to go into AE to render out a new title sequence to import and use in FCP7. Now I just throw the template on the timeline and change the text and adjust the graphics right in FCPX. No rendering; no leaving the program. If I need to fix something with a garbage matte, no round tripping to AE; I just fix it in FCPX; no rendering. I like that!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:55:57 pm

Craig -
The timeline index and not having to target tracks I understand, but the main thing I find to be more work in X is adding the keywords. I find it quicker just to name clips and organize in bins. With X I'm renaming the clip, then adding the same text as a keyword so that I can organize in a folder in the event browser. Is this correct or I am missing the point of keywords? I understand their use when searching for media but are they supposed to be used instead of organizing clips in a folder or in conjunction with?

Jason -
I get the exact same speed boost in CS6 from not needing to render the timeline and the dynamic link with After Effects. I think this is just a development in non-linear editing across the board.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 5, 2012 at 8:08:55 pm

It seems you're missing something.

You can name clips just as you can in any other NLE.
You can create a keyword collection and simply dump a bunch of clips in it and they all get tagged much like dumping a bunch of clips in a bin. Keywording has the additional benefit of tagging only parts of a clip or having the same clip or parts go into multiple locations, very easily and very quickly.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 5, 2012 at 8:41:01 pm

[Benjamin Mullins] "Jason -
I get the exact same speed boost in CS6 from not needing to render the timeline and the dynamic link with After Effects. I think this is just a development in non-linear editing across the board."

I hear you. I'm just pleased that FCPX works so well on my Macbook Pro.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]