FORUMS: list search recent posts

A/V OUT over Apple TV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Butler
A/V OUT over Apple TV
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:39:52 am

I am building a new setup and wanting to use a 27" iMac with a second 27" display then Video Out to a projector (connected through an apple TV using Airparrot http://airparrot.com/).

This is possible using Premiere because Premiere recognises all connected monitors as 'Adobe Monitor' but I'm not sure if it will be possible with FCPX.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: A/V OUT over Apple TV
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:24:20 am

I just downloaded the trial for parrot and tried it from my MBPr, it works OK, you can use it as a second monitor instead of just mirroring and put the viewer on the TV.

I tested with FCPX 10.0.6 and OS 10.8.2.

The image is bad, the color is way off and the gamma seems off as well. It may be possible to adjust in monitor settings but I find it works better just using apples mirror feature when you need to see on an external monitor, you can easily jump back and forth turning the Apple TV on and off from the menu bar. Doing this makes the color much better and the performance is better as well. The reason I turn ATV off unless i need to show a client full size video on the MBP is that you get more pixels on the MBPr when not using the ATV mirroring. I would never use this config in a suite situation only on the road or in a clents office.

The best solution is to get a TB interface like the BM Ultrastudio solutions. You can then use a PRO HD-SDI monitor or a HDMI monitor to view video while still keeping your interface on the main mac screen. For travel this makes a lot of sense. You can edit from a MBPr in a hotel room with a LCD or Plasma TV and with a $145.00 Ultrasudio (or the $495.00 version that also inputs video from HDMI or HDSDI and also component and SD output). This is cool. No external power needed only an HDMI cable, MBPr and Ultrastudio. AJA and Matrox also have similar solutions. Currently the MX02 does not work with the latest Mac OS or FCPX.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]