FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calling all thunderbolt users,

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brooks Tomlinson
Calling all thunderbolt users,
on Oct 31, 2012 at 3:41:50 pm

I was talking with a friend, and we have noticed how any device you ever attached externally at one point has to be unpluged and plugged back in.

Has anyone noticed this with thunderbolt?

Does anyone use a thunderbolt to fibre adapter to hook up to their SAN? is it as reliable as card that is in the computer?

What about the external views, like aja, or blackmagic. Does it always connect? even on the a restart? do you find you have to sometimes unplug the cable? (I noticed I had to at first with my Ultrastudio express)

These questions come from the thoughts of "can we really switch to an iMac?". Thunderbolt is great for the one man band, but is anyone using it in a facility?

let me know what you have seen,

Thanks,

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

John Christie
Re: Calling all thunderbolt users,
on Oct 31, 2012 at 4:17:13 pm

I have had a Promise Raid on my iMac for over a year. I've never had to unplug it. Maybe 3 times I've had to turn it on and off to get it to connect. But I only have one TB device connected.

It sure beats the days of SCSI "voodoo" when you'd have to add and remove devices to the chain until you got it all working.

Even firewire seems to be more temperamental than TB.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:09:36 pm

We are using SAN Link to mount Xsan volumes on 4 iMacs. No issues to report and never had to unplug them.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:14:42 pm

All on one iMac
-Promise Pegasus, never been unplugged or anything in a year. Electricity might have gone out once or twice, but it's always on and always 'there'.
-BMG Ultra Studio Express - No problems. It's always just on.
-Ethernet adapter goes into the Promise connected to a NAS. No problems with that either.

Tb is awesome. I can't wait till everything is set up for it.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Trey Leitko
on Apr 24, 2013 at 12:09:05 am

So you might have just answered my question. Is your system connected: iMac > Thunderbolt Raid > Ultra Studio Express? Are you daisy chaining the Ultra Studio Express through the Thunderbolt Raid? I guess what I am asking is: If your Raid and your BM Ultra Studio Express are both connected via thunderbolt how are you connecting them to the iMac. Unless I am mistaken iMac only has one thunderbolt port.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:01:28 am

[Trey Leitko] "Unless I am mistaken iMac only has one thunderbolt port."

Both current model 21.5" and 27" iMacs have two Thunderbolt ports.

Keep in mind that Thunderbolt can be daisy chained and while most video in devices are end of chain (AJA IO XT is one exception) Hard drives generally have pass through connectors.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:15:04 pm

Hi,

I have an iMac with an iO XT and a Pegasus RAID, both connected via Thunderbolt. Never had to disconnect any of them in 10 months of constant use.

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:41:05 pm

I had some problems initially running an MX02 and a LaCie 6TB RAID as well as a 23" external monitor. I just kept changing what was plugged into what. Kinda like SCSI. I thought for a while I had a bad cable. Once I had it working it just kept on working.

Now I have dropped the 23 external screen, I dont feel I need it with my 27" iMac. I also retired (temporarily) the MX02 on this system, it does not work with 10.8.2 or FCPX 10.0.6.

I now use a Ultrastudio Express instead and it runs perfectly switching between CS6 Apps and FCPX. This setup works great with my new Retina MBP as well.

So apart from some initial trouble everything works great w/o any restarts or hot plug/unplugging needed. I have 3 external TB raids I move around between Macs w/o any problems. I have found the single drive LaCie rugged TB's are no faster than the USB3 version, this is due to single 5400 drive limitation.

FRom what I see TB is rugged and very reliable.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:04:05 am

Imac here with an intensity extreme from Black Magic, at one time a lacie little big disk tb and an external monitor daisy chained from that, never had to unplug any of them.

Now its a pegasus r6 instead of the lacie, all is good in the hood.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:43:38 am

Can we, right here in this thread, get some rampant speculation and general discontent about Apple single-handedly trashing everything we've ever worked for because they replaced fw800 with a far more useful, capable, and technologically advanced bundle of protocols? Please?

Way too much positivity in here gentlemen, get your collective sh*t together.

I'll provide the hastily written, unspellchecked, yet mildly entertaining color commentary.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:56:32 am

WTF! I want to switch to the new iMac, but it doesn't have FW800 which is explicitly essential to my workflow. We won't be able to function. I'm most likely going to have to make the move to windows. Apple doesn't care about pros anymore.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:12:50 pm

[Bret Williams] "WTF! I want to switch to the new iMac, but it doesn't have FW800 which is explicitly essential to my workflow. We won't be able to function. I'm most likely going to have to make the move to windows. Apple doesn't care about pros anymore.
"

Alot ofthe audio guys are up in arms about this as well. So many audio interfaces are firewire.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:55:24 pm

You guys are wimps.

I tried to plug in my original Corvus 11 megabyte hard drive that uses a 2-pin serial cable for data transfer and I COULD'T EVEN FIND A PLACE TO PLUG IT IN to my damn FCP-X system.

(And I KNOW it's totally "PROFESSIONAL" because I paid something like TWO THOUSAND BUCKS for it back in 1986.)

So there.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:04:52 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Alot ofthe audio guys are up in arms about this as well. So many audio interfaces are firewire."

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=885718&Q=&is=REG&A=d...

if you can't swing 29 bucks....

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:19:50 pm

Guys; Bret was joking...

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:46:13 pm

I'm peeved about my useless NuBus cards. Then there's the stack of SCSI hard drives that cost like $200 per Gigabyte, ALL RENDERED USELESS by Apple updating their technology.

And where's the friggen punched paper tape reader for my EDLs. I don't want a file convertor, I want a paper tape reader to Thunderbolt adaptor. Those edit sessions might need revisions!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:03:44 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Can we, right here in this thread, get some rampant speculation and general discontent about Apple single-handedly trashing everything we've ever worked for because they replaced fw800 with a far more useful, capable, and technologically advanced bundle of protocols? Please?"

Happy to oblige!

Disclaimers: I'm not exactly pining for NuBus. I understand that old technology must make way for the new. If I had to choose between FW800 and TB, I'd take TB any day of the week.

I do think the vast majority of users in our little corner of the world would have been better served by an oh-so-slightly thicker iMac that had those 2 cool Thunderbolt ports, those 4 USB 3.0 ports (plus maybe another 2 for good measure) and 1 or 2 FW800 ports for legacy storage and peripherals.

Firewire has been a staple of the Mac platform since the dawn of the DV revolution, and it stings a bit to have it ripped off like a Band-Aid. Thunderbolt is clearly the future, but I think a slightly longer grace period on Firewire's sunset while Thunderbolt naturally marches toward peripheral dominance on the Mac would have been useful.

It's not really a big deal, since we do have the (chain-ending) Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter, but I could have gone for another generation or two with FW800 on the system. Then again, I could also go for another millimeter and a half between the USB ports on my MBP so I could plug in one of those regular-sized thumb drives next to anything else...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:40:39 am

[Walter Soyka] "It's not really a big deal, since we do have the (chain-ending) Thunderbolt-Firewire adapter, but I could have gone for another generation or two with FW800 on the system. Then again, I could also go for another millimeter and a half between the USB ports on my MBP so I could plug in one of those regular-sized thumb drives next to anything else..."

Can't wait for this thing.

http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:07:20 am

You do understand that the FW-TB adapter will only work with non-storage devices if the driver for that device is TB aware. For hard drives that's a non-issue, for most other devices, especially audio gear, scanners and cameras it is a big deal. Virtually none of them will work, and a lot probably never will. Great move again.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:58:03 am

[Frank Gothmann] "You do understand that the FW-TB adapter will only work with non-storage devices if the driver for that device is TB aware. For hard drives that's a non-issue, for most other devices, especially audio gear, scanners and cameras it is a big deal. Virtually none of them will work, and a lot probably never will. Great move again.
"

Finally! I knew it was coming.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:25:12 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Finally! I knew it was coming."

Good. Then you can probably also explain the advantages of dropping FW (and optical drives) from desktop machines so they end up a few mm thinner.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:40:44 am

I don't have an answer for you as I don't work for Apple, but fw800 and optical drives are connectable to Mac machines if you need them.

I don't feel bad for Apple if audio gear companies don't want to update a driver. Thunderbolt is better than fw800.

There are refurbished and warrantied machines available from Apple if you really need a built in fw and optical drive port.

My $4,000 ioHD is a door stop, and I am not crying. I used it for a really long time. It served me well. It's now old.

Ironically, AJA released thunderbolt aware drivers before Thunderbolt PCIe enclosures or the ioXT were even available and released.

The alternatives are better, faster, and cheaper.

Just as we had to adapt PS/2 to USB, I think we'll make it.

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:06:01 pm

Jeremy Garchow , you high jack my thread, lol. But bret on a windows, I think the end is near, the mayan were right.

Thanks For all the responses, just wanted to get some feel for peoples workflow.

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:00:26 pm

[Brooks Tomlinson] "Jeremy Garchow , you high jack my thread, lol"

I commend you for bringing forth the slightest bit of optimism to this forum. It was great to see until I came in and ruined it. It was life imitating art, imitating art life.

I'll do better next time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 2, 2012 at 7:01:12 pm

Just yesterday we had an iMac attached to our San via a Promise SanLink that suffered chronic kernel panics. After eliminating the San Link as a cause, it's looking like the Thunderbolt cable was the culprit. Not too surprising considering it's got a chip in the connector.

John

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2012 at 1:30:40 am

I've had more than a few non chipped cables go bad, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]