FORUMS: list search recent posts

A little feedback note to the "App" store to make us smile up a bit, or not...Let's think Positive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Dare
A little feedback note to the "App" store to make us smile up a bit, or not...Let's think Positive
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:31:46 am

It's been a few years since I have chimed in here...2003, so hello fellow FCP editors!

Just been reading the reviews on the App Store and this one takes the cake. Before I copy and paste it I'd like to share with you that I too have been an advocate for FCP since the first version. I am shocked and stunned that it seems we have lost an amazing developed product that really only needed 64bit and some of the new features in FCP X. Can you imagine what FCP could be if it just added all those amazing features? Wouldn't it be great to switch to Classic view with some of the gear just working in the background? Customizable GUI colours? (My eyes can't handle white on Black for to long)

Anyway, let's hope that from all this change, that change could be great if "our" FCP engineers listen and not abandon what Apple should be proud of, that was FCP. It was once the Jewel of the crown for the company.

This is a copy from Andrew Gingerich from the App store posted today June 21, 2011.

Here it is....

Dear Final Cut Pro, I’m thinking about breaking up with you.

I just filled out the Final Cut Pro feed back form. This is the letter I sent:

Dear Final Cut Pro,

I was in love with you. But… you’ve changed. Sure, you just got that really sweet makeover, and since you started work ing out you’ve been in really great shape. You’ve got an awe some new color cor rec tor. Those are great things. But what about my needs? I know you think your scopes look best when they’re just to the left of the viewer, but some times I need to see the scopes at the same time that I’m look ing at the footage full-screen on my sec ond mon i­tor. I love your wave forms, but I also love your vec torscope. Can’t I see them both at the same time? Customization is impor tant to me—you knew that from the very begin ning of our relationship.

Ever since the change, you just haven’t been your self. You used to be all about time code, but it seems like you barely even think about it any more. And you’ve been really jeal ous lately. I know it makes you feel inse cure, but some times I need to send a time line to After Effects or export an OMF to Pro Tools. I love you, baby, but you’re being really possessive.

We never go out any more. You used to pipe video out to my broad cast mon i tor all the time, remem ber that? That was one of our favorite things to do. You used to be really friendly with Mackie con trol sur faces, but now you don’t even talk to them.

It’s not your sleek new inter face that both ers me. You’re just as user-friendly as you’ve always been, maybe even more so. It’s just… I know guys say this all the time, but I really mean it: you were way hot ter back before your makeover, when you weren’t so wrapped up in appear ances, and you were more con cerned about doing what you did bet ter than any one else in the whole world. That’s why I fell in love with you, so many years ago. I used to look into your eyes and feel like with you by my side, any thing I could imag ine was pos si ble. Now… I hate to say it, but you’ve got ten kind of vain.

It really hurts me to say this, but I think I should see other pro­grams. In fact, I have a date with Premiere Pro this week end. I under stand if you’re angry, but this is just some thing I have to do for myself.

I can’t bring myself to believe this is the end. I’ve loved you so much, for so long. I just hope you can get your per sonal prob lems worked out, because until you do… I guess this is goodbye.

Love always,
Andrew

Life is too short!

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: A little feedback note to the "App" store to make us smile up a bit, or not...Let's think Positive
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:53:58 am

And you know... after a certain point counseling just never works!

The damage is done. The trust is broken. Things will never be the same again.

Mark

Return to posts index

Jason Dare
Re: A little feedback note to the "App" store to make us smile up a bit, or not...Let's think Positive
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:06:50 am

Here's an ironic twist of fate...A book that has just been released on the History of editing...Just reading it now and wow! Systems from the past like "Convergence, Ampex, Sony, Bosch and CMX." Remember those days? I only remember Sony BVU we love you...used to have to loop the tape because the tape feed arm wouldn't wind up correctly. Sync...Oh my!

It's called "TimeLine" by John Buck on the Kindle store.
Takes you back and makes you realize where we have come from and where we might be going.

Thanks John!

Life is too short!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:13:58 am

What you missed was the letter in which FCPX broke up with FCP. FCPX found AV Foundation and moved to a much more technically advanced civilization in a much more productive galaxy.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:20:14 am

[Craig Seeman] "What you missed was the letter in which FCPX broke up with FCP. FCPX found AV Foundation and moved to a much more technically advanced civilization in a much more productive galaxy."

/Sigh...denial is the first stage...

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:25:05 am

[Jamie Franklin] "/Sigh...denial is the first stage..."

clever

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

2.93Core i7 ** 4GB ** 10.6.7 (Office / Photoshop/ FCP 7)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 8GB ** 10.6.7 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

Where They Raced
http://www.wheretheyraced.com

Return to posts index

Jason Dare
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:28:25 am

[Craig Seeman] "What you missed was the letter in which FCPX broke up with FCP. FCPX found AV Foundation and moved to a much more technically advanced civilization in a much more productive galaxy."

That's part of my point. Let's think about the new AV foundation and move forward. We still have a great tool now right? FCP7.
Let's hope that they add all the engineering stuff that is missing, and embrace the new era that is really quite an evolution of media broadcast as well as providing what we need now for current broadcast/film standards.

Life is too short!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:06:43 pm

Jason that's really about it.

In my head the transition between FCP7 and FCPX is much like OS9 to OSX. I think the one problem is that there's no "classic" mode that OSX had. I don't mean they need to have an FCP7 interface but there's no bridge between the two. For a time we'll still need to use mature FCP7 features just like we needed to use mature OS9 programs. Remember how Cheetah( 10.0) was limited compared to OS9. It was almost just for show. Puma (10.1) could be used but still wasn't up to much of what OS9 offered. It wasn't until Jaguar (10.2) that OSX finally became something that could be lived in even though it still had shortcomings.

FCPX is going to progress much faster. It's part of what makes App Store over disc and ship, attractive. Apple has no bridge though. That Apple's own KB talks about partitioning as a best way to move forward is an example of how serious a problem this is. One must be able to open "classic," in this case FCP7 while using FCPX.

Return to posts index

eric monroe
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:44:39 am

how does that Kool-aid taste friend?

Return to posts index

Jason Dare
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:55:30 am

Rather Salty!

Life is too short!

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:13:13 am

Better than bile.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:44:06 pm

The technology behind the new FCPX is the right step but can you imagine how much pain they would have avoided if they had kept a similar UI? I can understand that some of the main features are not there yet, my IT director told me that 64bit apps take a ton of code to right, Windows 7 took 58million lines of code to write, more than 1 person could write in a lifetime. But at this point the biggest deal breaker is not being able to share your projects or events or whatever you call them with others. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:34:51 pm

[Devin Crane] " I can understand that some of the main features are not there yet, my IT director told me that 64bit apps take a ton of code to right"

Whether intentional or not, your word substitution in this case speak volumes... It'll sure take a ton of code to make this software "right."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:41:16 pm

Hilarious....and very sad too

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]