FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.0.6 is...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
10.0.6 is...
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:33:00 pm

...getting more and more like FCP 7 isn't it. I'm beginning to like it more and more.

Override Connections...nice.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 10.0.6 is...
on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:14:43 pm

That and blading through more than on track at once shift+cmd+b! Those two, audio, and piops will save more time than anything.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:59:55 pm

blading through all layers....

Does FCP7's in - out select in to out -- shift delete work in FCPX? -- that was the quickest way to remove a large chunk of everything and pull it back together.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:16:05 pm

Not as simply as that. But now that you can blade through all layers, just deleting the clip in the primary would probably do the same thing if all the layers above are connected to it. Seems like a good function to bring back.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Oct 26, 2012 at 1:55:35 am

Does this mean the blade tool will work on audio only with an audio clip that has been disconnected from its parent? Currently I'm not able to do this which is a real pita

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:25:23 pm

[Andy Field] "Does FCP7's in - out select in to out -- shift delete work in FCPX? -- that was the quickest way to remove a large chunk of everything and pull it back together."

You don't need all those steps.

in the primary, define a range, hit delete.

unless of course you don't want to do that.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:43:39 pm

but more steps are more fun!

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:33:48 pm

[Andy Field] "but more steps are more fun!"

Definitely keeps the heart rate up.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:36:14 pm

Aerobic editing

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:05:29 am

But it won't do that. The clips above the range won't get deleted. They'll just get mashed together in that awesome non-destructive editing manner apple invented.

However, I tested the new method and it's pretty much the same steps. Go to point A and instead of marking an in, do a shift+cmd+b, then go to point b and shift+cmd+b. Now in the primary, highlight the clip between pt a and b and press delete. All the clips above are connected to it because of the blading process, and so they get deleted too since they're connected. There really is a method to the madness.

In 10.0.5 wihtout the blading, you could delete the clip between a and b, but the clips above would just slideabove and under clips that come after pt b in no apparent logical order. And you'd have to manually trim every clip back, or slide and delete each clip, then delete.

Blading through everything is such a huge improvement in my multi layered bullet pts workflow!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2012 at 11:12:49 pm

[Bret Williams] "But it won't do that. The clips above the range won't get deleted. They'll just get mashed together in that awesome non-destructive editing manner apple invented. "

I'm not sure what you mean here. Check out this screengrab:

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/range-delete-fcpx

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Oct 26, 2012 at 12:26:39 am

You don't need to select in to out to ripple delete in FCP 7. Just in and out.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:06:40 am

What's the difference?

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 26, 2012 at 6:35:35 am

[Bret Williams] "What's the difference?"

one less keystroke,

"x" to mark a clip or "i" "o" to get a range then "delete" to ripple

versus

all the above with a "option" "a" to select whats in the range or a clip.

just like in Avid, its "T" and then "X", two simple keystrokes.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2012 at 4:22:18 pm

Symantics. He didn't say what you said. He said an in to out (which can be selected many different ways) or in and out (which can be selected the same different ways). Whether you select it with one keystroke or two, you're still selecting an in and an out, which in turn selects a range from in to out.

I don't think anyone was mentioning or thinking about the option+A key, which is not needed for a ripple delete, but to copy the contents of in to out.

And yes, you can select with x or t, but only if the area you want happens to be defined by a clip. In that case, in FCP X you can do the same selection, but unfortunately it won't ripple delete everything above unless you blade.

But the gist is, that now that we have blading through multiple tracks, you can do a similar ripple delete to 7 with roughly the same number of steps. Whereas before the number of steps was directly related to the number of tracks you were deleting and trimming. A real PITA.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Oct 26, 2012 at 4:31:07 pm

Option–A isn't needed to copy the contents of the in to out range.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:10:35 pm

The trouble is it would be nice to have the option to lock off audio tracks that you did not want bladed or deleted..and I cannot figure out how that would work.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:12:50 pm

It just feels like we are still trying to find workarounds to do some very basic operations rather than just being able to do them.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:31:16 pm

Logically, Solo should accomplish this. Does it?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 26, 2012 at 6:01:15 pm

Good call but no it doesn't...just checked....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2012 at 8:24:40 pm

[James Ewart] "The trouble is it would be nice to have the option to lock off audio tracks that you did not want bladed or deleted..and I cannot figure out how that would work."

Marquee select or command select what you want.

Command-b.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:13:30 pm

marquee select is new for me but command b a range and then multi blade still chops my music track which I have not selected .

Three steps forwards and still the odd step back!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2012 at 11:23:44 pm

[James Ewart] "marquee select is new for me but command b a range and then multi blade still chops my music track which I have not selected ."

Click and drag to select clips.

Hit command-b.

Here's an example:

Command B, Bee.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:49:26 pm

Marquee select is new to you? How do you operate a computer?

In all seriousness, use one single motion to drag select, and then cmd+click to select anything you don't want bladed.

Or I guess you can do it via keyboard in FCP 7, which would be like what, 10-20 keystrokes? Locking and unlocking tracks and all. Depends on how big of a layer stack you have going. It would probably look like you're doing a lot though.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:54:43 pm

It's a term I am not familiar with...select a range...drag a range...lasso even. For me a marquee is a very large tent in which people hold weddings and barmitzfahs...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:05:24 pm

It might just be derived from Photoshop then. I'm not sure. I don't know why it's called marquee. Perhaps it's called marquee in photoshop because of the animated dotted lines that surround the selection, kinda like a marquee sign where the lights appear to circle around.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:08:36 pm

That' a maybe as (and I now this sounds weird) but I almost never use photoshop..that kind of work doesn't come my way much...I'm sure I should because then things like After Effects might be more possible.

As it is I'm fairly pleased with myself just opening FCPX titles in Motion and modifying them a teency bit now and then... schoolboy stuff really

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]