FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.0.6 performance issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
10.0.6 performance issues
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:23:46 pm

I know some have mentioned a snappier response. I'm tending to see the opposite. Curious what others are seeing. My system is without a broadcast card. 8-core MP, 16GB RAM, Quadro 4000 card and RAID-0 internal media drive. Media is all ProResLT or ProRes.

My main issue is with timeline/project performance. When I play a sequence I notice subtle, visual stuttering on horizontal movement. It's not dropping frames, but rather looks like this issue has to do with how it's writing the image to the graphics card. Pref settings doesn't seem to change this.

The second thing I've noticed is that now there's a 1 sec response lag between pressing the space bar or the L key and having it start to play. It was instant in 10.0.5.

None of these issues are there in FCP 7, PProCS6, Sym 6.5 on this same machine with the same media.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: 10.0.6 performance issues
on Oct 25, 2012 at 3:14:44 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The second thing I've noticed is that now there's a 1 sec response lag between pressing the space bar or the L key and having it start to play. It was instant in 10.0.5."

I'm still on 10.0.5 with an AJA ioXT and I have always had the playback response lag with this combo.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 25, 2012 at 3:42:35 pm

On a humble Imac and I just got my first screen freeze ever. Keyword display won't close...going to have to force quit...dare II say "here we go again"

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Oct 25, 2012 at 3:55:28 pm

Definitely snappier here. No lags. Title interactions especially seem more snappy.

James
MacPro1,1, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770, OSX 10.7.5

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:08:20 pm

[James Culbertson] "Definitely snappier here. No lags. Title interactions especially seem more snappy."

Are you using an i/o card?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:22:33 pm

Not with FCPX at this time.

I have a Matrox MXO2LE I use with FCP7.

James

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:25:26 pm

Hi
Maybe the 1.7-2.4 times speed-up that AVX brings to vector/image processing on Sandy Bridge+ CPUs is the reason for the difference?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:16:27 pm

Swapped the Quadro 4000 for the ATI 5870 and the performance is a bit better. No stuttering (at least in full screen made) and slightly less lag in play start response.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:26:48 pm

Sounds to me like it might be card driver optimization.

Be interesting to see if the card MFGs release flash patches for their firmware.

I'm using a stock MacBook Pro - and running on a simple Radion 4870 in my Mac Pro - and I'm not seeing any truly significant difference on either. (The laptop still runs X faster and smoother than my desktop!)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:30:32 pm

Play > Start lag I've had an every version of FCPX. Even AJA'a systems as IBC had the issue. On our main edit suite (MacPro 2008 8-core, 16GB RAM, 4870, Kona 3, OSX 10.8.2) it's substantially less responsive than FCP7 or PrPro CS6.

I can test a bit on my 2011 laptop and see if things are better.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:33:01 pm

In Geoff's post on Rendering Speed, the large improvements in rendering were on this modest configuration:

"All tests were made using the same machine: Mid-2010 iMac i7 @ 2.93GHz, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024MB, running OSX 10.8.2"

It may be a combination of factors but I suspect the end result is the render tuning is related to the CPU architecture and GPU architecture and later architectures will fare better. That mid-2011 iMac with a Radeon 5750 may have been a poor performer that the FCPX changes have addressed but others on different configurations (older or newer) may not see a dramatic change. Still when you see worse performance on playback, it might imply the software is doing things differently, requiring an upgrade to components, but what? If your performance becomes worse while you have more recent gear than the configuration in this message, then "Houston, we have a problem." Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Steven Love
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:04:50 pm

I have for the first time now after updating to 10.0.6, am experiencing major import issues with my media from my Canon 60D. 1080p 29.97 footage. I had 10 clips that were no longer a total of 1.5hrs. Every clip encountered an error. I have been using FCPX since it was released and never seen this before. However I imported 4 clips from my Sony AVCHD camera and there was no errors at all. So now I have at least isolated the issues to some degree, but this a huge problem! But surprisingly the clips were on my drive despite the error, its just annoying because it stops in the middle of the import until you click ok. I uploaded a screen shot of there error, I'm not sure if I did that correctly but this is the link

screenshot2012-10-24at11.28.56pm.png [x]

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 Nahlem, 16GB of RAM, ATI 4870HD, 4TB & 4TB RAID 0
17" MacBook Pro 2.2ghz quad core i7 8gb of ram 500gb 7200rpm HD 1gb video card

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 26, 2012 at 1:18:17 am

I just found out something that impacts the lag issue. My sequence had a series of a/v clips with all sync audio disabled. The audio in the mix was coming from VO and music edited into two connected secondary storylines. When I detached and removed the unused sync audio from the a/v clips, the play start response got a lot better.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:21:14 pm

I've done a bit more testing on this issue of stop/play lag. It seems to be an issue with existing projects. The cause appears to be related to the fact that the audio configuration has changed to accommodate the new multichannel editing features. On the test sequence I was playing with, I had originally disabled the audio for the sync clips. When I checked that today, they had the new configuration but the clips were all enabled. Yet they were silent. So clearly an update anomaly. When I selected all the clips and toggled the audio tracks off again, stop/play performance improved. My guess is that it's probably fine on an entirely new project.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:51:09 pm

Oliver
"My guess is that it's probably fine on an entirely new project."

Makes sense. When Apple tweaks anything in the Aperture database with every minor revision then they completely rebuild affected components in the database. This isn't what happens when FCPX is given a minor update--existing things (like compound clips) function in the same way which may be best considering the repurcussions of converting a video project, but new things adopt the new changes.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 26, 2012 at 6:54:06 pm

[Oliver Peters] "My guess is that it's probably fine on an entirely new project."

I had a bunch of issues with audio configurations and compound clips on old projects/events. No show stoppers, just weirdness. Haven't seen any of them on new projects. YMMV... ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Kyle Prince
on Nov 13, 2012 at 1:11:57 am

Oliver I'm getting a very similar issue in a new project, retina MacBook Pro, and a FireWire 800 drive using either proxy or optimized media. Footage in the browser plays back fine and skimming is smooth for the most part. However if I go to play the sequence I get a 1-2 second delay if editing off the internal ssd and up to a 15 second delay if the media is on the external drive. I think it might have to do with some sort of preloading, as the delay gets longer the earlier in the sequence you start (although its only a minute long sequence). I've tried trashing preferences, using a different drive, and transcoding the media but nothing seems to help much. The lag makes the program extremely irritating to use.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 13, 2012 at 2:09:33 am

[Kyle Prince] " I think it might have to do with some sort of preloading, as the delay gets longer the earlier in the sequence you start (although its only a minute long sequence). "

Wow, I've never had anything quite so bad. How complex are the sequences? Filters? Effects?

NLEs all have something called "building the pipeline" . That's essentially having to look forward and backwards through the timeline so that at any given point when you play forward or reverse, it knows what media to have ready. In the older Avid days, there was a console command called "toggle playlength", which let you change the lookahead interval to 1 minute. So the timeline would play for a minute and stop. This greatly improved speed when making tweaks in the full timeline for a full feature film. That issue is largely gone thanks to better performing machines and optimized software. Nevertheless, it seems like this sort of buffering is a result of the same type of issue.

With X, it doesn't seem consistent to any one thing. Try a brand new project and see if you still have the issue. I've found most of my projects that were created before the upgrade, all have various little quirks when I try to do anything with them now after the upgrade. Probably due to the change in audio configurations. This has definitely messed up some of my timelines in little ways. Nothing that I couldn't recover from, but still not a good situation. Then add corrupt renders into the mix. Oh joy!

OTOH, I'm really enjoying being back on Media Composer these past few days ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]