FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is FCPX 10.1.0 the next release after 10.0.6?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Lang
Is FCPX 10.1.0 the next release after 10.0.6?
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:14:34 pm

Does anyone have any insight into what is planned for the next update after this rather full release of 10.0.6? Do we know if 10.0.6 is the last "feature" update before the next major point release? I don't discount that there could be 10.0.7 but suspect that will be bug/performance fixes and not significant features.

What do we expect to see for new features in 10.1.0? I suppose integration of audio mixing capabilities within FCPX or easy integration with an updated Logic. Other major enhancements needed that you've believe are coming next? Any idea of the timeframe?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Is FCPX 10.1.0 the next release after 10.0.6?
on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:59:03 pm

The next update should focus on timecode. Viewers, overlays, generators, and perhaps ganging. There's a lot of unused space on the screen. Lots of room for configurable tc viewers. Or buttons. Custom buttons. Perhaps customization could be the next focus. Layouts, bin views, etc. Id like to have multiple event windows open at once. thumbnails in list view too. scrubbing / ranging directly from rhe viewer. I'd also like to see the ability to copy and paste Keyframes and other keyframing enhancements. Bring back motion integration too.

I guess we shouldn't even mention the obvious exporting / importing formats, tape control, or opening legacy projects. That's not gonna happen.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:29:38 pm

Thanks, Bret. No shortage of good ideas.

When you mention integration of Motion, I wonder if they will alter their approach to how various functionality is provided within or external to FCPX. For example, the Color application from FCP7, you can argue, has been integrated in the sense of replaced by colour capabilities in FCPX. Motion and Compressor are separate apps that can tightly interface with FCPX. And other functionality like creating DVDs has been abandoned entirely by Apple. Would Apple take FCPX in a new dimension if they began to absorb functions currently done elsewhere? For example, now that chapter markers are supported (at least for QuickTime playback), why not add a few templates (and support a custom layout) in FCPX that could assemble a DVD right there or at least to pass to Compressor to finish the task?

I've never used Smoke, but I understand it is trying to be a one-stop shopping experience including more and more functionality besides its original core strengths. DaVinci Resolve 9 has added more functionality to be able to work as a NLE or perform a first edit pass perhaps before handing off to FCPX. Perhaps 10.1.0 will see FCPX further enhancing the breadth of its capabilities beyond its core NLE strength.

I tend to think DVDs are an oversight that should be corrected. Like Blu-Ray. But maybe there's the next great thing coming that will replace both those distribution icons and I certainly don't think it's YouTube or Facebook or Twitter integration that seems to be Apple's short-term focus. Or am I looking in the rear-view mirror? Perhaps a Vimeo with very good quality video (less compression) is the future and no computer or HDTV will ever ship with an optical drive/player in a few more years.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Oct 26, 2012 at 8:08:46 am

Hello,

I would also like to see a consolidation of all postpro-steps 'into' FCP-X.

The question is how it is realized. Looking at Smoke, different functions
were available from a kind of desktop, thought this changed in Smoke2013.

So consolidation doesn't necessarily mean to put ALL functionality into a single app.

Since Apple either way needs to do something in regard to network storage and sharing projects, I could imagine well that e.g. Motion, LogicPro-X, Compressor could access FCP-X Events and Projects directly.
Mixed with a kind of access management,
this app-compound would behave like a single app but access a single database.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 26, 2012 at 4:48:45 pm

Bernhard:
"Mixed with a kind of access management,
this app-compound would behave like a single app but access a single database."

So changes from any program are immediately reflected in the other program and you could bounce back and forth easily to review the Logic change for example back in FCPX and then readjust in Logic or perhaps readjust Logic's changes in FCPX the way Motion could be used today for some things.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Oct 27, 2012 at 7:52:28 am

Yes,

and it would also be good if every filter and effect that could fit
into FCP-X would be found in it. And filters/effects that won't
fit could be summed up as 'Motion' or 'Logic' effect.

(Motion's Masks are something that won't 'naturally' fit but
nevertheless I would like to have directly inside FCP-X,
as well as advanced keyframe editing.)

So when round tripping, some filters/effects are preserved and editable 1:1,
while others are summed up in a placeholder-effect and require to open
the other app.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]