FORUMS: list search recent posts

It's your COW, What do you want/need to know/see in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin P McAuliffe
It's your COW, What do you want/need to know/see in FCPX
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:38:28 am

Hey Community,

I'm hard at work producing tutorials on FCPX for the faithful herd, and I thought I should ask the most important question. What do you, the community, want to see? If you haven't picked up FCPX, Motion 5 or Compressor, what are you dying to see? What questions about the application itself do you want answered. Drop me a line, or post a response here, and I'll answer try to answer all your questions as a tutorial. Let's make this launch a learning experience for everyone (especially Apple).

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Trainer
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: It's your COW, What do you want/need to know/see in FCPX
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:50:19 am

I want to see how to make SD DVD's and Blu Ray disks from an FCPX timeline. How fancy can you get in "authoring" them, within the existing X application?
I want to see the process of importing DVCpro25 and DVCProHD tape, (which is all we shoot, and 80 percent of our tape vault).
I want to see what kind of titling and graphics you can do within the application, without resorting to Motion.
I want to see how to play out live, to feed a live program, and how to capture a live source.
I want to see how three suites can work collaboratively with centrally stored footage, simultaneously, where one guy edits, another tweaks audio, and the third adds graphics.

These are things I need the software to be able to do on day one of implementation in our shop.

(The other things I want to see, you can't show me, because Apple hasn't put them in yet.)

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:59:36 am

Uh... multi-clip??????

mark

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:13:18 am

I know, Mark, we use multiclip, or stacking and razoring synched camera tracks, maybe once a month or more, for multi-cam training videos or news events that need a quick turn-around. But to be fair, he can't train you on things that aren't there yet.

Just the other day I looked over at my Grass 141 linear edit controller in our main control room, with some sense of nostalgia. It has been a couple years since I last did an A/B roll linear edit on it, and it is scary how much you forget about a system like that unless you constantly practice. When I looked at it, I was thinking it was probably time to dismantle it since we do multicam in FCP-6 in my office now.

Today, I'm not so sure.:-)

Return to posts index

Sam Krauser
on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:15:57 am

An organisational tutorial...What you can and can't do with Events...Where you can (and should?) put them on your computer...And maybe an example of a workflow (Import settings, Metadata etc)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:54:01 am

AV Foundation explained. Until people understand some basic things about it, they won't understand why FCPX is different. Yes it's a geeky subject and it needs to be explained in lay terms but even just a few minutes and people may understand why some things are so alien.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:08:36 am

What basic things? Like the one they never thought to include any provision for Video I/O hardware into the thing?

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:05:06 pm

Hi Kevin

Your first tutorial was very helpful and cleared up some of the 'misinformation' that is floating around. I would like to see what is new with the titler and how the new version of the 'motion' tab (transform, distort, keyframing etc.) works. Also, is there a way to share projects between edit systems like if I want to start something on my Mac Pro and then finish it on the road with my laptop. What is the workflow? Thank you.

NT

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Jun 23, 2011 at 5:14:38 pm

Whilst not exactly standard tutorial stuff, I think what we all need is some concrete...

How much control do I have over where and how I keep my assets? Is FCPX going to pressurise me like a car salesman to keep them in my Movies folder on my OS drive?

Can I select a series of folders to populate my Events? I'm as interested in excluding as in including.

Is there any alternative to 'storylines'?

Can I arrange audio into dialogue, SFX, music tracks?

How do we move projects between machines?

Return to posts index

David Hiller
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:19:36 am

How do I import all my P2 and XDCam footage into FCPX?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]