FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compound clips, be warned

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Compound clips, be warned
on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:46:44 pm

Not sure yet what the issue is, but when I opened up my last project, which included compuond clips that married a quicktime with a luma matte, the matte had moved considerably. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not just one compound clip, a bunch of them.

Makes sure you're done with any projects before updating. I finished this one yesterday thankfully.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Compound clips, be warned
on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:49:09 pm

Also, all my render files are gone or disconnected now. Except the render files that were only a color correction. Very interesting. So they've changed something with the processing of something that didn't affect clips that only had color correction renders.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 23, 2012 at 9:24:02 pm

Another oddity. Instead of turning down clips volume, I turn off the audio portion of the clip in the inspector. Seems like turning down the volume wouldn't help performance as it would still be playing the clip, just at no volume.

But now, in those projects, I can't regain the audio. It shows that it's there, and I can turn it on and off, but there's never any sound. So I would have to reedit those clips back in apparently.

And geez, the event viewer is nice, but can we get a scrub bar already so we can actually scrub the clip where we view the clip? I put my events on the second display. I was hoping that the new viewer would have some way to control the scrubbing right there as well as select a range right there. My chiropractor will love me. Looking one way while my body faces the other all day.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 23, 2012 at 9:28:38 pm

[Bret Williams] " My chiropractor will love me. Looking one way while my body faces the other all day."

How far apart are your displays????

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 23, 2012 at 9:49:03 pm

Ha ha. For me what would've really been nice would be some sort of viewer at the top of the event when in list mode, instead of the long thumbnails across the top. At least you can scrub in there and see pretty close to what you're getting.

I guess now, I don't have to look at the viewer all the way to the right, just the one a little to the right, because my events are on the left. I suppose in Europe people would put their events on the right. :) Or if you're left handed.

But as for scrubbing in the viewer, why not just let us scrub it and mark it just like the little thumbnails? They let us scrub everything else. Scrub a dub. Wait, sorry, skim. Skimming. We don't scrub anymore. That was so FCP 7.

What would help the list view immensely would be a thumbnail list view! Can I please have a thumnail, AND all the data at the same time? AND then you know what would be cool, the ability to PRINT a keyword collection. I know, that's so FCP .... errr... Avid.

I pretty much end up working in thumbnail view set to ... wait, they're filmstrips, I forgot. Filmstrip view set to all. My head can't wrap around a clip going from one line to the other. Just can't do it.

Anyway, I think I'm getting delirious. Two alnighter edits this past weekend and now an FCP update.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:04:44 pm

[Bret Williams] "the ability to PRINT a keyword collection"

Surely someone is writing an app to XML this to a webpage.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:21:54 pm

[Bret Williams] "Another oddity. Instead of turning down clips volume, I turn off the audio portion of the clip in the inspector. Seems like turning down the volume wouldn't help performance as it would still be playing the clip, just at no volume.

But now, in those projects, I can't regain the audio. It shows that it's there, and I can turn it on and off, but there's never any sound. So I would have to reedit those clips back in apparently"

I think this can be fixed by selecting the affected clip, choosing Open in Timeline, choosing the disabled audio channels, and hitting V to enable them again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 23, 2012 at 9:59:15 pm

I figured out the compound clip masking problem. I had actually tried unsuccessfully to use an image mask effect to marry the luma matte and animation clip, but realized that image mask only supports still masks. I had left the effect in place but turned it off. FCP X 1.0.6 turned the effect back on. But the reason that it confused me, was that the mask was animated. Apparently 1.0.6 now actually supports a moving image mask effect! No more stencil luma in a compound clip. You can just marry your clip to a moving image mask layer apparently.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:37:56 pm

[Bret Williams] "But the reason that it confused me, was that the mask was animated. Apparently 1.0.6 now actually supports a moving image mask effect!"

Heh.. from bug to feature in 7 posts! :-) FWIW, since .6 handles CC's differently... CC's created before the update can't be opened in a timeline by double-clicking, You need to use the "open in timeline" command. I've been busily copying old CC's, breaking them apart, making new CC's (which you must name and which then appear in the event!), and pasting attributes back onto them where applicable.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:40:39 am

I was pretty happy with compound clips the way they were. Now it's just gonna be the same confusion everyone had with legacy. If I copy and paste, it's a new clip on it's own, but if I get it from the event then it's linked. Usually in 7, thankfully, the link was easily broken, otherwise people would've been complaining they made a change to something in one project, and it changed 6 others! I think that's where we're headed. Linked compound clips need to be labeled VERY clearly. In fact, it would help if in the event, it listed how many times it was used, and where it was used, but we know that data doesn't even exist. Only in the project. After effects does a great job of telling you how many times a precomp is used and where it's used. You can create a mess pretty quick if you lose track.

Return to posts index

chris sinclair
on Oct 25, 2012 at 3:31:44 am

In the KenStone article, he explains this issue and the solutions:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_first_look_06_martin.html

Improved Compound Clips
In Final Cut Pro 10.0.6, Compound Clips have changed, resulting in dramatically improved performance and making it much easier to make changes to multiple Compound Clips at once. One thing that is important to understand is that these changes only affect Compound Clips created in 10.0.6 or later . Compound Clips created in earlier versions of Final Cut Pro will work the way they used to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]