FORUMS: list search recent posts

One problem you don't get with FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
One problem you don't get with FCPX
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:19:03 pm

I came across this blog from Larry Jordon and have a lot sympathy with the trouble he had getting reliable information from the Adobe technical support, and also with his core problem of restrictions being placed on how he used his licensed Creative Cloud software. It's all in the small print.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/

It's interesting that even someone with Larry's vast experience gets caught up in the cursory way that many companies treat their customers. And it's only because of his status in the industry that he got a resolution to his problem.

I'm sure Larry would have got a quicker response if he had posted his problem onto the Cow Adobe Premier Pro forum.

One of the things I have liked about FCPX is the ease with which it is possible to download it from the App store and install it on all my computers.

And also the ease with which it is possible to install updates.

However some of the plugins I have bought have also placed restrictions on running their software on more than one machine.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
Re: One problem you don't get with FCPX
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:25:24 pm

I don't think Larry was complaining about the problems of installing Adobe CS 6. His issues stemmed from trying to install it on more than two computers and then trying to do it remotely with Hotel wifi...

You can't install FCP X on more than five computers of one itunes account.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:00:33 pm

[Michael Sanders] "I don't think Larry was complaining about the problems of installing Adobe CS 6. His issues stemmed from trying to install it on more than two computers and then trying to do it remotely with Hotel wifi..."

Yes, as I pointed out in my post what Larry is really complaining about is the level of expertise he received from Adobe support and also the length of time it took for him to get the wrong advice.

Most people dealing with dealing with Online chat support lines knows how frustrating the process is.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:04:30 pm

Yes your licensing agreement prevents you from doing so.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 18, 2012 at 4:30:59 pm

[Michael Sanders] "You can't install FCP X on more than five computers of one itunes account.
"

I'm pretty sure I installed it on 6 machines. Maybe an 11in air doesn't count since it's so teensy.

According to this article there's no limit:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1157018/appstore_licensing.html
----
"That’s it. There’s no authorizing or deauthorizing of Macs, like you do with iTunes media. There’s no five-Mac limit, or device limit of any kind. If you are a Mac hoarder who has 55 different Macs at your house, all running OS X 10.6.6, you can fly that Guns of Icarus Zeppelin on every single one of them."

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 18, 2012 at 4:34:20 pm

[John Davidson] "I'm pretty sure I installed it on 6 machines. Maybe an 11in air doesn't count since it's so teensy."

How well does it run on that?

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 18, 2012 at 4:38:05 pm

It's a Late 2010 air (pre-thunderbolt) 11-inch. It comes in handy when traveling and you just want to see some footage/photos etc. It's mostly pretty good for what it is. I'm sure the SSD helps a bit, but if working with a USB drive it's not anything I'd write home about.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Oct 18, 2012 at 5:17:47 pm

If you want you can install it on 10+ systems. FCPX doesn't care at all about it. And i'm sure Apple doesn't care at all.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:09:11 pm

We talked to Larry personally (as he states in his blog), and apologized for his bad experience. We also talked to our customer support reps. to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Creative Cloud activation is brand new to the company. We apologize for any problems users may have.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:18:40 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "Creative Cloud activation is brand new to the company. We apologize for any problems users may have.
"

It's a great idea and I would imagine very complex to implement, I'm sure most people won't read this story without realising this.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:54:56 am

My biggest gripe is that it treats the collection as a whole, which is completely ridiculous. I use quite a few of the apps myself, but not on the same machine. IOW I have a machine for video editing and animation, and a machine for web design and flash and stuff. I'd like to also have a portable machine with both AE and Drreamweaver, but even though that would be no more than 2 installs of any app, it's 3 machines and that's out.

I know I can turn them on and off, but that seems prone to error if you can't get online. Is that what was in the article?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:58:39 am

Yeah, that's kind of the issue he ran in to - the deactivating takes 72 hours, so it's not really good for an instant machine switch scenario.

On a positive note, we have production premium on one machine and two machines with the Creative Cloud set up. I was worried that by using my adobe ID on the production premium machine that it would get confused and think we had crossed the 3 machine limit, but CC seems to understand that we own one outright and are cloud renting the other two.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:08:24 pm

[John Davidson] "On a positive note, we have production premium on one machine and two machines with the Creative Cloud set up. I was worried that by using my adobe ID on the production premium machine that it would get confused and think we had crossed the 3 machine limit, but CC seems to understand that we own one outright and are cloud renting the other two."

I have Creative Cloud on my Windows 7 desktop and MacBook Pro laptop. No issues installing or setting up, though I was, at one point, constantly being bugged to fill out my profile when it was already filled out.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:15:32 pm

[John Davidson] "Yeah, that's kind of the issue he ran in to - the deactivating takes 72 hours, so it's not really good for an instant machine switch scenario. "

We have requested to our agents not to use the "deactivate all" feature on the activation server, since this will lock the customer out for 72 hours. This should no longer be an issue.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]