FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update next week

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Update next week
on Oct 15, 2012 at 6:56:22 pm

Seems there's lots of rumours about next week's launch of the Mini iPad. The latest being a new Macmini and a 13" MBPr

Could we see 10.0.6 or even 10.1

Can one dare to dream....

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Update next week
on Oct 15, 2012 at 7:32:05 pm

Looks like next week is a big hardware week for Apple, perhaps they'll get the software out this week, 10.06 and Logic Pro X?

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Oct 15, 2012 at 7:35:47 pm

What the hell, I'll weigh in.
This sounds like a great week for a big update.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 15, 2012 at 8:15:09 pm

I'm not sure it'll all happen next week but I don't doubt there's going to be a lot in the next few weeks.
13" MBP Retina (although I was under the impression there might be some supply chain issues around that).
New iMacs are supposedly very close.
I'm not sure how FCPX ties in directly with any of the hardware though (it already had Retina update). I can see Apple dropping 10.6.8 support for FCPX though as well as bumping up the GPU specs which would mean the entire line would have to be ready (new MacMini?).

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Oct 15, 2012 at 8:58:47 pm

Whenever it is, it can't come soon enough. The publicly announced and discussed features will be a big help to us.

Keith

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:27:56 pm

according to a chinese thread the imac is on the way and thinner with a laminated panel thing, also a bit more expensive.

http://imac.macrumors.com/

for about the fifth time I've backed out of picking up an i7 iMac - this one six months old, business off-sale stacked to the SSD ram eyebrows, because I can't help feeling the 2 GB card is a little dead weight given my increasing gravitation to PPro 6. As i read it, it's uncertain how far adobe going to reach back with the openCL stuff.

I rather intensely wonder if apple will continue the run in the mbp, and give this iMac nvidia, no one is calling it on the chinese pics yet.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Update next week...new MacPro
on Oct 16, 2012 at 12:31:25 am

The new MacPro is here....the new MacPro is here.....

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Update next week...new MacPro
on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:29:34 am

Set your clock for a year from now I think you're be warmer.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:25:49 am

My 2 cents comes from years working with major retailers (and like it or not, that's a huge part of Apple today) where I saw that they typically want to "clear the decks" for the big holiday retail season, so they tend to push other initiatives ahead or behind that.

Only Apple knows their transactional capacity - but with the new Phones and rumors of new products like the iPad mini - this could be a massive season for them. Not sure they'd want to trigger another million software purchases/upgrades out in the middle of that.

I could be totally off base, but I imagine we'll either hear something in the next few weeks - or after the first of the year. Used to be it was Thanksgiving thru NewYears - but in retailing today, it's more like Halloween thru NewYears that will see Apple in major retailer mode.

Only time will tell.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:16:22 pm

So you're thinking that Apple is worried that it's servers won't be able to handle the appStore traffic from the release of 10.0.6 AND the influx of new device traffic from the iPad mini?

I think you might be overestimating the number of FCPX users relative to other apps. I guarantee you there are WAY more people downloading any popular game (which can be relative in size to the average FCPX update) on any given day than will download 10.0.6 on it's release. And that's not an inditement of FCPX's popularity, just a relative size of the market.

And from a optics perspective, Apple no longer needs to worry about juggling which hardware/software product gets apple.com's splash page for maximum visibility. Software has been offloaded to the appStore, where many products from different categories can get equal billing.

I agree with you about a dead zone around the holidays, specifically after the US Thanksgiving. That's why I maintain we'll see something in the next 6 weeks. But I think the reason they gave out the "2012" time frame was to give them enough leeway to release when they were ready. Which probably means they had a predetermined launch window. So I'm betting against them falling into next year. let's remember how pessimistic people were about 10.0.3 update's "Early 2012". Some equated that to be as far into the year as NAB. But on Jan31st there it was.

So based on how aggressive they've been with updates, that more likely means that this is just a Big (capital B) update for the software rings true. I don't think it will be 10.1, but certainly going a long way towards closing of the gaps on this iteration of the product.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:35:39 pm

[Marcus Moore] "So you're thinking that Apple is worried that it's servers won't be able to handle the appStore traffic from the release of 10.0.6 AND the influx of new device traffic from the iPad mini?"

Actually I'm sure the servers will be fine. I'm more thinking that the telephone lines to tech support might get overloaded on the mundane but probably inevitable stuff like "my download stopped half way - what do I do" stuff that accompanies every new Apple distribution. I imagine that Apple's call centers will be in ramping up soon for the holiday season and if they were to push a big new X out in the midst of this, it's just an unnecessary distraction.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:07:24 pm

I don't think FCPX users utilize tech support the same way that someone who's having problems with an iPhone do. I think we go to message boards and support forums to get answers.

It may be a big deal to US, but I just don't see and Apple having to worry about and FCPX update impacting their consumer-facing holiday plans. There's no competition for marketing space, and no impact on them technically that I could see that would make them push it out beyond their pre-announced schedule.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 16, 2012 at 12:03:44 am

They said by end of year. So, I'll start getting fidgety the last week of December.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:15:47 am

"New Features Coming Later This Year" isn't Apple's forte. Perhaps Avid learned from Apple - Avid's not at AES this year, in their own backyard. There aren't even any rumors about Pro Tools 11 and PT10 is still not officially qualified for Mountain Lion. (I recently received spam from Avid and MtnLion was not listed as PT10-compatible). Hence, I didn't upgrade my X2Pro, which should port to Logic but evidently there's a technical snafu in that pursuit.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:30:49 am

Apple's last pre-announcemet of features for 10.0.3 was equally vague... "Early 2012". Everyone presumed that would mean Mar-Apr. But we got it Jan31st.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:28:01 am

I don't necessarily see any connection between hardware announcements and the imminent FCPX update.

At WWDC, 10.0.5 was tied to the premier feature of the centrepiece hardware of the keynote.

I don't think another size of Retina MBP, or a MacMini/iMac update brings anything new to the table to tie into. Even if the iMac came with Retina screen (insanely doubtful), FCPX has already been updated for Retina support.

10.0.6 and all the goodness it will bring could come out tomorrow, or it could come out a month and a half from now. At this point I think each Tuesday has an equal chance. My only opinion on it at this stage is that I doubt it will be released in December. Noone releases anything in December, software or hardware. So I say between now and November 27th.

Return to posts index

craig slattery
on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:38:07 pm

My people say not until next year.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:42:08 pm

Until I see the FCPX What's New page change from "New Features Coming Later This Year", I'm not not giving the "Next Year" talk any credence. They gave themselves a broad enough target to aim for...

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:42:34 pm

My goodness, I'm certainly getting bone weary of these guessing and waiting games.

Apple says these things will come out this year. I'm so tired of the awkward audio editing, the inability to select which attributes I can copy and paste, and a gaggle of other workarounds I use every day with this thing. Pleeeeeese... can I have my update daddy? I'll be good. I promise.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 19, 2012 at 3:55:24 pm

App Store Update Page > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > Command-R > ...

Still not there. :(

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:07:38 pm

Heh. Only on Tuesdays, sir.... only Tuesdays...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 19, 2012 at 8:03:47 pm

Wimpy would gladly pay you Tuesday for an update today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]