FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quartz Composer may not be in the next version of OSX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
Quartz Composer may not be in the next version of OSX
on Oct 11, 2012 at 7:37:50 pm

According to this article, there's a good possibility Qrartz Composer won't be in the next major release of OSX.

It then goes on to say that if that is indeed true, it will be the end of FCP7...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: Quartz Composer may not be in the next version of OSX
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:30:35 pm

No matter if this will be true or not.

Fcp7 will be around for a year or 2.
But if you dont explore premiere cs6 or fcpx in the meantime you're asking for troubles.

Premiere cs6 is great. 64 bit. Aja/blackmagic support. Fcp xml import export. Future developement. And more.

Fcpx is great. New editing philosophy. Great multicam. Great audio based syncing. Great metadata management.

Future is nice:)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:44:06 pm

I am curious to know if Quartz Composer is a factor in how Adobe or Avid runs under Mac OS. Personally I expect to have FCP X on my Mac eventually so this just encouraged me to partition my system drive and have FCP Legend isolated so that I can chase OS and FCPX developments as customer demands develop.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:54:02 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I am curious to know if Quartz Composer is a factor in how Adobe or Avid runs under Mac OS."

Nope.

Quartz Composer is a visual graphics programming environment: a node-based system for visual processing. It's one of the dev tools, meant to help designers and programmers add effects and animations to their applications. It underpins things like Mac OS X screensavers, iChat effects, and real-time rendered animations in applications -- and germane to this conversation, in things like the FxFactory plugins.

I can't imagine that Adobe or Avid use Quartz Composer at all.

Frankly, I'd be quite surprised to see Quartz Composer go away. I'd think the ramifications on developers would be much larger than just breaking FCP7 and related effects.

The article suggests that it'll go away because it hasn't seen a lot of attention from Apple recently , and because it's not supported on iOS. I think as it stands QC was pretty mature and didn't need updating, and I'm not convinced that iOS/OS X convergence is inevitable.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:56:55 pm

Thanks Walter. I knew Fxfactory plugs used it but I wasn't aware if was used by other vendors or third parties.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:03:33 pm

Quartz Composer a really cool technology -- and Noise Industries has built a very clever system for allowing you to build your own plugins via QC.

If you're a little bit geeky and care to give it a spin, download Apple's dev tools. The documentation leaves a little to be desired and there's no training to speak of, but there are some good little communities built around QC and plenty of interesting samples to dissect and learn from.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]