FORUMS: list search recent posts

Last Quarter And 10.0.6 To Go

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Fraiberg
Last Quarter And 10.0.6 To Go
on Oct 9, 2012 at 12:02:22 am

Well here we are in the fourth quarter of 2012, patiently awaiting the arrival of FCP X 10.0.6

New Features Coming Later This Year

Multichannel audio editing tools
Dual viewers
MXF plug-in support
RED camera support

There are 77 days until Christmas. How many days until 10.0.6?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Last Quarter And 10.0.6 To Go
on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:50:03 am

Well, I certainly doubt we'll have to wait THAT long. I can't remember Apple releasing anything of substance after mid-November. So I would be absolutely astounded if 10.0.6 isn't released by then.

They're way over their regular schedule. The longest update cycle up to now was 10.0.1 (91days), and it's been 119days since 10.0.5. So I think every Tuesday (the day updates have generally occurred for FCPX) is potentially THE day.

The longer it is, the more I think they'll have packed in there.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:27:03 am

[Marcus Moore] "
The longer it is, the more I think they'll have packed in there."

I remember someone on one of the VFX forums making this same exact observation about Shake. About a month later apple announced they were no longer supporting it.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:46:14 am

Except SHAKE hadn't had continual updates for the past year and a half. Though 10.0.6 has been a bit longer coming, let's not forget that FCPX has seen 5 updates in the past 16 months. That's a faster update track that legacy every had.

The Programs that weren't going to survive the purge are already gone: Color, SoundtrackPro, DVDStudioPro. The functionality of those programs has either been deemed better suited to be handled by 3rd parties or has been (or is likely to be) folded into the FCPX, Motion, and Compressor. With Logic likely seeing a more integrated role into the suite in the near future.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:25:53 am

[Gerry Fraiberg] "Well here we are in the fourth quarter of 2012, patiently awaiting the arrival of FCP X 10.0.6

New Features Coming Later This Year

Multichannel audio editing tools, Dual viewers, MXF plug-in support, RED camera support"

So these new features might improve the software. Certainly Multichannel audio editing tools would be useful, maybe through the rumoured Logic Pro X.

Personally, after a year and a quarter of editing with FCPX , I can't see the need for Dual Viewers. If they do appear I hope it will be switchable feature as I'm used to working with the current set up now.

But the biggest improvements that Apple could add to FCPX would be greater stability, since I've installed Mountain Lion I'm having to force quit and trash preferences on a regular basis, not as bad as the very early days but pretty annoying and time consuming. Sure, an up to date MacPro would probably get round these problems, and I have been toying with the idea of getting the beefed up Retina MacBook Pro, but like this update that's another thing to wait for.

And it's the smaller things that need fixing, disclosure triangles in the event folder resetting themselves, the inability to color code items in the event folder, the lack of timeline navigation shortcuts (try going vertically), the inability of changing the timeline view options with keyboard commands.

I really understand why a lot of people have migrated to PPro but there are still many more things I really like about FCPX than dislike.

[Marcus Moore] "They're way over their regular schedule. The longest update cycle up to now was 10.0.1 (91days), and it's been 119days since 10.0.5. So I think every Tuesday (the day updates have generally occurred for FCPX) is potentially THE day."

So maybe next Tuesday?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 9, 2012 at 4:40:15 pm

[Mark Dobson] "Personally, after a year and a quarter of editing with FCPX , I can't see the need for Dual Viewers. If they do appear I hope it will be switchable feature as I'm used to working with the current set up now. "

I need it for matching. While I agree I don't need all the time, there are times when it is needed.

You could see how a function like this could currently work in FCPX as the framework already seems built for it in the angle viewer for multicam. I foresee a second viewer working like that as well, reveal it when you need it, hide it when you don't.

I also agree that there should be a lot of the "fit and finish" fixes in this release.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:56:22 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I foresee a second viewer working like that as well, reveal it when you need it, hide it when you don't."

One of my bigger peeves is the 2-up used in timeline trimming. Trim with the mouse and you have the 2-up. Trim with the keyboard and you don't. Same behavior as FCP7. Drives me nuts.

I can see it popping up when marking outs (end of range) in the Event Browser. Some like to match action while editing rather than timeline trimming.

As per the Angle Viewer, Ganging should return as part of the Dual Viewer. That's a must in some situations as well.

I think the importance of this update is that there's two paths converging. One is catching up and new implementations of "old" features (as per aspects of the dual viewer). The other is implementing new features or improved appropriate to the paradigm (Roles needs more work for display and control).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:05:28 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I think the importance of this update is that there's two paths converging. One is catching up and new implementations of "old" features (as per aspects of the dual viewer). The other is implementing new features or improved appropriate to the paradigm (Roles needs more work for display and control)."

Fingers crossed.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:25:28 pm

I admit to being pretty damn curious. Are they in or are they out? The coming update will likely tell.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]