FORUMS: list search recent posts

Touchscreen Editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Mullins
Touchscreen Editing
on Oct 8, 2012 at 7:58:09 am

Hi,

Whether you're a fan of FCP X or not the main accolade it seems to receive is that it is faster to use than other NLE's. If improving workflow speed is a primary goal, and given the widely successful adoption of touchscreen technology now on the market, is it reasonable to expect touchscreen NLE's in the near future and do you think this would be an even faster workflow? What would you like to see in a touchscreen NLE and how do you think it might work for the user?

Ben.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Touchscreen Editing
on Oct 8, 2012 at 1:11:18 pm

[Benjamin Mullins] "is it reasonable to expect touchscreen NLE's in the near future and do you think this would be an even faster workflow? What would you like to see in a touchscreen NLE and how do you think it might work for the user?"

I think it's reasonable to expect someone to try it. It will be physically tiring to use and you won't have fine control without having to massively zoom in the interface. It's something that looks cool, but otherwise isn't very practical for day-to-day editing.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2012 at 1:19:24 pm

I agree with Gary on this. I can't see picking my arm up for hours at a time. I don't think Apple would do this either. It doesn't make ergonomic sense. I can see this on a tablet since there's no easy alternative on that device (such programs already exist). Even a touchpad would be problematic for fine control. I doubt it would be faster than keyboard.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 8, 2012 at 4:04:05 pm

Touchscreen has some uses, but it just doesn't make sense for extended computer use. Might as well skip it until you can invent a visual/thought based interface.

However, touchpad editing might be doable. Issues with fine control can be addressed, I feel, without making the interface clunky. And having a dual hand multi-touch pad in front of you would be much easier on your hands than a mouse, keyboard, or other pointing device.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 8, 2012 at 5:09:08 pm

I think you will see better integration of multiple input and interactive approaches to most application, whether it be touch, voice, eye tracking, mouse, keyboard, etc. For now I can see multitouch combined with mouse/tablet as a pretty nice interface. On my Bamboo tablet with touch, I hold the pen a certain way that still allows my two fingers to scroll, tap, etc. and quickly use pen for precision. My other hand is on the keyboard for text entry, modifier keys, shortcuts, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Oct 8, 2012 at 5:39:59 pm

[Craig Seeman] " I can't see picking my arm up for hours at a time."

If the touch screen interface really takes off, it will be real easy to spot editors in crowd. They'll be the ones with arms like Popeye. "Oh man, I did a 12 hour session today and my forearms are burning".

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 8, 2012 at 5:42:36 pm

[Gary Hazen] "They'll be the ones with arms like Popeye."

Or else they'll be the ones with computer monitors at a slight incline to the surface of the table instead of perpendicular.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:56:35 am

Or theyll be the people that dont have a crick in their neck from having to look to the right or left all day since the interface is right in front where they are touching, and the video monitor is straight ahead and not off to the right or left.

Everyone is being a bit short sighted. I edit with bamboo, a mouse, and the Magic Trackpad. The latter is by far the most versatile and least strenuous. You can program you most used hot keys and actions into infinite different gestures and tap combinations. You can even assign different yap combos to different locations. The hard part is remembering them all. I switch between different input devices every so often for fun. Keeps the carpal at bay too.

Don't keyboard users just look fast? On my experience yeah, it looks fast to press the 10 keys neccessary to perform an action that can often be done with a click drag. :)

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:53:44 am

[Bret Williams] "Don't keyboard users just look fast?"

No. It's quantifiably provable that keyboard shortcuts speed up the technical aspects of editing and with less stress to the hands than a mouse. They don't just look fast, they ARE faster.

That said, I'm a fan of both my Wacom tablet and the magic trackpad. Both are easier on my wrist than a mouse, and even the most hardcore shortcut user needs to use a mouse from time to time. It would be nice to combine keyboard shortcuts and a pointing device into one solid interface.

Andy

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Oct 8, 2012 at 5:58:15 pm

I can see how that might be fun and useful as an option as long as that was not the only way to work. But for me the monitor would have to be awfully big. Like Minority Report big. Editing and dance could then merge.

Tim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 8, 2012 at 6:03:17 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I can see how that might be fun and useful as an option as long as that was not the only way to work. But for me the monitor would have to be awfully big. Like Minority Report big. Editing and dance could then merge."

I can only assume that the gesture for dynamically trimming an edit point to the current time will be a finger snap.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 8, 2012 at 7:27:32 pm

Help Wanted: Beatnik Editor. Must understand multiple time signatures and know the difference between pop, jazz and symphonic editing. We're a largely Mahler shop - with a sprinkling of Django clients and we occasionally get "pro bono" clients who are, like, totally Satie. Can you improvise? Call us.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:13:53 pm

I can do all those but my base is really Mozart/Gershwin.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:46:12 pm

Only if you live in an alternate reality as a producer.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Oct 8, 2012 at 6:22:40 pm

This one brings back memories. Anyone remember DAR Soundstation? I edited sound with this for a feature.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]