FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Sound Forge available now

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Shawn Miller
Re: Mac Sound Forge available now
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:43:07 pm

Kudos to Sony for bringing Sound Forge to the Mac. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this application, you really owe it to yourselves to try it. Sound Forge's editing and mastering tools are simply excellent.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:32:14 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Sound Forge's editing and mastering tools are simply excellent. "

Agreed.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 4, 2012 at 8:00:48 pm

Never used SoundForge - can anyone explain why it's better/worse/the same as Audition/Soundtrack Pro/Protools? Thanks

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 4, 2012 at 8:48:44 pm

SoundForge has a different use than the multi-track editors you have mentioned. It's strength is in audio clean-up and repair and it is the gold-standard for mastering/finishing audio and CD prep. SoundForge is a tool you would have in addition to your favorite audio editor.

I'm hoping we're going to see Vegas on the Mac soon too - that would be a real game changer as Vegas 12 has more flexibility and pro features than any other current NLE.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:23:05 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "It's strength is in audio clean-up and repair and it is the gold-standard for mastering/finishing audio and CD prep. SoundForge is a tool you would have in addition to your favorite audio editor."

Yes, I should have mentioned this too. When I was a fulltime audio editor, this is what I used SF for; mastering audio CDs, cleaning up audio tracks for video and sweetening music tracks. Today, I use it as a complement to Audition and Sonar.

[Lance Bachelder] "I'm hoping we're going to see Vegas on the Mac soon too - that would be a real game changer as Vegas 12 has more flexibility and pro features than any other current NLE."

I noticed that Vegas 12 got some pretty nice updates (XML interchange, P2 compatibility (finally), Open CL acceleration). I always liked Vegas for it's flexibility and power, but became disenchanted with it's instabiblity in later versions (10-11). I would love to see a really stable Vegas on the Mac though, I have a feeling that people would really like it.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:57:53 pm

Yes stability with Vegas still an issue though better with 12 - that's why I'm curious if a fresh build for OSX may perform better than PC version...

By the way Vegas 12 has FCPX exporting! and it actually works! Plus FCP 7, Avid, Premiere and AE exporting! Not to mention the first NLE to support the Motion Picture Academy's new ACES color workflow for digital cinema and other workflows as well as true RAW colorspace for F3 users.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:08:24 am

[Lance Bachelder] "By the way Vegas 12 has FCPX exporting! and it actually works! Plus FCP 7, Avid, Premiere and AE exporting! Not to mention the first NLE to support the Motion Picture Academy's new ACES color workflow for digital cinema and other workflows as well as true RAW colorspace for F3 users."

I think that's awesome. I'm definitely going to keep a closer watch on Vegas.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Mac Sound Forge available now -- Vegas?
on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:57:46 am

[Lance Bachelder] "By the way Vegas 12 has FCPX exporting! and it actually works! Plus FCP 7, Avid, Premiere and AE exporting! Not to mention the first NLE to support the Motion Picture Academy's new ACES color workflow for digital cinema and other workflows as well as true RAW colorspace for F3 users."

And OFX support -- very cool. I'll have to give Vegas a look. With all this cool stuff, why do you suppose it hasn't caught on?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 5, 2012 at 1:00:16 am

One other notable and intriguing Vegas 12 feature -- magnetism!

From the Video Editing (features) page [link]:

Sync Link
Establish a hierarchal relationship between timeline events during editing. "Child" clips associated with a "Parent" clip can be moved independently on the timeline, while moving the Parent clip also moves the child clips in perfect sync.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 5, 2012 at 1:07:06 am

A little more research shows that Sync Link was new in Vegas 11, released October 17, 2011.

Jeremy and David, if you're reading this thread, here's a tracked NLE with clip connections we can tinker with.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Oct 5, 2012 at 5:16:17 am

[Walter Soyka] "Jeremy and David, if you're reading this thread, here's a tracked NLE with clip connections we can tinker with."

Looks interesting. Have you downloaded the demo? I don't have a PC but maybe it would run under bootcamp? Curious to see what they've done.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:43:57 pm

[David Lawrence] "Looks interesting. Have you downloaded the demo? I don't have a PC but maybe it would run under bootcamp? Curious to see what they've done."

I haven't tried it yet. I'll post back when I do, unless someone else beats me to the punch.

I am sure Vegas will run fine under Bootcamp (assuming your computer otherwise meets its specifications). Bootcamp is "real" PC/Windows and doesn't have the compatibility limitations that virtualization software has.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:43:37 pm

Yes it should run under Bootcamp. GPU acceleration is still a bit spotty but 12 looks pretty good so far - just finished an editing/sound design and mix job for a major studio promo this week and it worked very well. This is the main reason I've kept Vegas around for over a decade - it's still the only NLE that let's me cut picture and has Pro Tools quality audio editing and mixing as I cut...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:00:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "And OFX support -- very cool. I'll have to give Vegas a look. With all this cool stuff, why do you suppose it hasn't caught on?"

It started out as a multitrack DAW, which is what I first used it for, back when it was Sonic Foundry. It then added multimedia capabilities, and could edit digital video files, but did not support any i/o hardware for a long time. As you doubtless remember, you could not edit Broadcast without hardware one upon a time, so it fell immediately into the consumer bucket. I remember thinking how nifty it would be to use, if only it worked with my Digisuite. So, it was late to the party. Add to this that it felt more like a DAW than an NLE--which I did not mind--and that Sony (after buying out Sonic Foundry) did not want it to compete with its own upscale NLE plans, I think you can see why its always been on the sidelines.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:42:01 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Sony (after buying out Sonic Foundry) did not want it to compete with its own upscale NLE plans"

This was typical Sony, always crippling it's non broadcast products so they could keep their high broadcast margins. The Xpri was Sony's broadcast NLE when they purchased Vegas and even thought they hired a bunch of the original Discreet *edit design team, after the EOL of that product, to try to salvage Xpri, it was hopeless. Sony finally seems to be putting some money and effort into their Sony Creative Software division and it will be interesting to see if they can make any headway in the market. this would be a good time for Lance Bachelder to hold forth on his Vegas pros and cons.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:01:40 pm

[Andy Field] "Never used SoundForge - can anyone explain why it's better/worse/the same as Audition/Soundtrack Pro/Protools? Thanks"

Hey Andy,

I've never used STP and I've only used ProTools very lightly, but here's what I like about SF:
  • It's stable
  • The UI is clean and intuitive (to me at least)
  • The built in tools like multiband compression, and noise reduction are powerful but easy to understand.
  • It ships with six plugins from iZotope (the stereo imaging plugin is my favorite)
  • It has very good analysis tools (phase, clipping)
  • Batch conversion tool is very good

It's just a very solid editing application. I hope folks will download it and give it a try.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:57:19 pm

Hmmm....Vegas on a Mac. Intriguing.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 8, 2012 at 3:55:40 pm

I've actually run some tests with Vegas 10 or 11 (can't remember now) on a 17" MBP under VMWare virtualization and Windows (not Bootcamp). I only tested it with DV footage, but it was pretty responsive. By comparison, I tried the same thing with EDIUS and it was really awful. I think the difference is how each writes to the graphics card for the UI. In any case, it seemed like a viable option. The Sony software (formerly Sonic Foundry) coders are very sharp. Their optimization for Windows has always been some of the best there is.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:44:19 pm

Oliver,

I'm surprised that you found Edius so bad. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I run Ediua under Bootcamp on my MacPro, but its real time performance far exceeds that of FCPX, rarely needing to render to see judder free, real time playback of full HD with multiple colour correction and other effects, even with native AVCHD.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:50:02 pm

[Geoff Addis] "I'm surprised that you found Edius so bad"

I only found it bad under virtualization. I've run it (as intended) on a high-end HP Elitebook and it really shines there. I've never run it under BootCamp, so I can't comment. However, the UI did not look right on the MBP compared with the HP.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]