FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tim Cook Apologizes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Shields
Tim Cook Apologizes
on Sep 28, 2012 at 2:22:33 pm

All I could think was "why didn't he do this when they angered so many Pro users?". I think it would have gone a long way in keeping the ones they lost.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/28/technology/apple-ceo-letter-maps/index.html...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Tim Cook Apologizes
on Sep 28, 2012 at 2:52:59 pm

Because he wasn't in charge?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:29:38 pm

[Bret Williams] "Because he wasn't in charge?"

More like because they didn't care. The Iphone is their business, Pro Aps is a hobby.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:33:45 pm

He is now. I think they could have stopped the bleeding. It's not really a complaint. I like that they did this. I think customer's will appreciate this attitude from Apple. They have been really arrogant as of late.

Return to posts index

Matias Canelson
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:35:06 pm

Because Apple doesn't care about pro users anymore. Would you like to sell 1 MacPro por $3000 or 5 unlocked iPhones por $3250. Remember, only the iPhone makes more money than ALL MICROSOFT products combined.

Everything Apple had done for Pros is being forgotten. MacPro with no updates, XServe discontinued, ProApps dumbed down... for them is better to have 10.000 amateurs using FCPx for $300 than 2500 Pro using ¿FCP8? for $1200. With the amateur they have sold 10.000 Macs + $3.000.000 in FCPx licenses...with the Pros would be 2500 Macs with $3.000.000 in FCP8 licences.

Many of the user that moved to Avid/Premiere maybe moved to Windows, but many keep on Mac so Apple will still sell Macs to them... And if they moved to Windows, they don't need to buy a Windows Phone, I'm pretty sure that if those pro users are Mac fans, have iPhones and will continue buying iPhones while editing in Avid/Premiere.

...I think.

--
MatiasCanelson
http://www.canelson.com.ar

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:38:46 pm

Because they don't care much about niche users and because his wife didn't got lost looking for a Starbucks when FCPX was released.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:41:42 pm

[Rafael Amador] "and because his wife didn't got lost looking for a Starbucks when FCPX was released."

LOL

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Sep 28, 2012 at 7:06:22 pm

Wife, right. LOL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 28, 2012 at 7:13:13 pm

I think everyone is missing an obvious distinction. FCP X worked as advertised. You might not have liked the direction Apple took with it, but it worked as intended. In the case of Maps, there are obvious technical glitches that affect satisfaction.

I think it's silly to say Apple doesn't care about niche markets. They may give off those signs and they often prioritize when certain products receive attention over others, but that's different. When Apple doesn't want to continue with a product, they kill it off.

Apple operates as an ecosystem with all parts providing some contribution to the whole.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 28, 2012 at 7:48:10 pm

Has anyone here used the new Maps yet?

How'd it work for you?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:06:49 pm

Writing this from a coffee shop in Sedona. Did the iOs6 upgrade on my phone right before I left town. Used the new Maps functions half a dozen times on the drive up from Phoenix. The first search back at home took a long time (loading new maps from the servers?) but since then it's been just fine. Not all that much different from old maps.

But this is just a quick first impression. We'll see over time.

FWIW

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:40:07 am

As an urban dweller it's hit me hard. There's basically no public transportation function and street view is gone. Other public transportation apps are upgrading like crazy (it's astonishing how many of those apps have gone through updates, some multiple it seems) since iOS 6 was released. I trust they're fix it but they've very much brought the Siri beta experience to maps.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2012 at 12:18:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] "As an urban dweller it's hit me hard. There's basically no public transportation function and street view is gone. "

Yep, I hear that.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Used Maps - found Sugar Man!
on Sep 29, 2012 at 6:39:53 pm

Kinda OT, but on my Maps guided trek to Sedona, I had a chance to see "Searching for Sugar Man" at the Sedona Film Fest - a new Swedish/British/Detroit documentary about the most brilliant unknown 1960s musician nobody in the US has much heard of.

What a GREAT documentary.

I hugely recommend you seek it out if it's in your town.

I came away with my head reeling in a VERY good way.

Fabulous storytelling. Great construction. Worthy subject. And I suspect it's going to show up on the 2013 Oscar night and do really, really well.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:10:23 pm

the new Maps has a number of flaws - including:

no streetview
terrible traffic maps (nearly invisible dotted red line..no green or yellow)
no robust business and location look up database
weak direction accuracy
slow to refresh maps (Google's was fast)
some streets missing or mislabeled
some landmarks off or not there
no transit or foot directions

this is not ready for prime time -

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:24:00 pm

The bottom line is that they seem to feel they have a big enough "fan base" to withstand all. I guess we'll see.

Tim

Return to posts index

Armando Ciurana
on Sep 29, 2012 at 12:36:34 am

It seems like somebody copied and pasted the first impressions on FCPX on this new thread!

I have moved to Premiere CS6 (mostly) and AVID since that day, will I move to android soon? hehehe

Best!

President
Ciurana Dussauge Films Mexico

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:11:42 am

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com

The omission of public trans or walking directions is a loss.

My limited experience with Maps has been very good. I have not tested every location (how could I), but Chicago seems to be OK for what I have used. I have only used to get to specific point A to specific point B. I don't use it to look for businesses or landmarks.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/28/consumer-reports-compares-ios-6-m...

All of that being said, I think Apple should change their language.

They had to have known that Maps "fell short", but they also knew it would get better. Why not just say it's new, needs work, and it will get better when introducing it? They did it with Siri, and people's perceptions were in line with what was shipped.

I am all for taking risks and developing healthy competition, it's good for everyone, but from what I am reading in the press, I get the sense that people feel duped by Apple. When you get the sense you are being lied to, how can you trust the source? There's plenty of competition out there these days, so finding a new device to run Google better than Apple did should be fairly easy, and less expensive.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:03:23 pm

I hear what you are saying but Steve Jobs used to talk about that Halo effect a lot. The FCPX fiasco was the reverse. You don't think they are excited to hear about all these companies that are switching do you? If X would have been handled like a beta, I think they could have kept those folks and added the ones they have. Just like Maps, I understand that Google wouldn't play ball but they still had a year on the contract. The new Maps could have been called MapsBeta or something. So what's happened is that some developers are having problems with their apps because of it's flaws and it's spoiled the release of a really good phone. These situations are similar to me. For some reason it's all or nothing for Apple when it doesn't have to be.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 28, 2012 at 8:37:20 pm

[Craig Shields] "These situations are similar to me."

I don't agree. The misstep with X was only in marketing, not the product itself. As it turns out, Apple has and still is continuing to quietly sell seats of FCP7/FCS. Granted that is a reversal of their original position. Maps is an actual defect in the product. That's a lot different.

[Craig Shields] "You don't think they are excited to hear about all these companies that are switching do you?"

I think the news of switching is vastly overstated. It gets a lot of press, but in most cases companies are simply hedging their bets - trying a bit of CS6 (which they'd have bought or updated anyway), continuing to use 7 and sometimes testing X as well.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:04:49 pm

Yes, they continue to sell licenses for FCP 7/FCS3. The big question is: Do they continue to support them?

Tim

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:53:39 pm

Interestingly enough, I just called Apple to try and buy a few new FCP 7/FCS 3 seats... they stopped selling them a few weeks ago. Both through Business sales and Personal sales.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 29, 2012 at 10:19:44 am

[Oliver Peters] "I think it's silly to say Apple doesn't care about niche markets. They may give off those signs and they often prioritize when certain products receive attention over others, but that's different. When Apple doesn't want to continue with a product, they kill it off."
You are right. The truth is that this is the first tim in history that Apple makes such a exercise of humbleness and apology in public.
In the past, when Apple depended on the pro market, whenever was a problem, they just shut their mouth and let thousands waiting for the problem to be fixed, without never giving an explanation of what went wrong. Much less an apology.
The question is not about how they treat products, but about how they treat customers.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 29, 2012 at 3:11:36 pm

"iPhones map fails" is an official web meme. Here are a few places you can dig into them. I've never seen anything like some of these examples, and I bet you haven't either. Just a follow a couple of these links to see why they generated an actual apology.

Although, the fact is that you're really NOT holding it the right way.

My favorite is currently this nicely curated collection from HuffPost, "Apple Map Fails: 19 Ridiculous Glitches Spotted In Apple iOS 6's Anti-Google App." It's still being updated, and is now up to a couple of dozen. They also invited you to add your own...but they're being added in so many places around the web that this collection is still far from definitive. Still, gotta love that real-time reporting.

Close to definitive: a Tumblr devoted to Those Amazing iOS Maps. Some truly astounding stuff, and lots of it.

Apple Maps' 6 Most Epic Fails, Forbes. Most of the fails noted here are linked to other articles, which include even more fails. The Forbes author is being a bit of a drama queen when he says he hopes nobody loses their lives relying on these maps....but I hope nobody involved relies on keeping their jobs.

If you can read Japanese, here are hundreds more. An English translation of a few of the most epic of them -- and there are apparently many hundreds of them at truly epic scale --reveals that among the fails, Apple doesn't even include Narita Airport in Tokyo, one of the world's busiest. It's just not on the map at all.

Even Apple lapdog Pogue weighs in with 8 pretty good slides.

Those are just off the top of my head, but I've never seen anything like this. You'll have a alot of fun digging into these. A nice way to waste a couple of hours on a Saturday.

Enjoy!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2012 at 7:33:25 pm

[Tim Wilson] " but I've never seen anything like this. "

All that needed to be done was to change the psychology, just a little bit.

It's a shame, really. They should use their ubiquity to an advantage if they want to crowd source, and they could have asked their customers for help in the first place. I'm sure Timmy Cook is learning.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]