FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logic Pro X - Let the rumors begin

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Logic Pro X - Let the rumors begin
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:36:32 pm

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/26/image-claims-to-show-launch-scree...

The screenshot, allegedly taken on a 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, shows the product Logic Pro X, with a version labeled as "Build 10ka01b." AppleInsider cannot verify the authenticity of the image, and as such has included it on its back page in the interest of discussion.

A report a year ago claimed that Apple was working on a new update to its Logic Pro software, dubbed "Logic Pro X," following the branding established by Apple's revamped Final Cut Pro X. Last year's rumors claimed that Apple's logic team was making great efforts to stress it will not shift toward a GarageBand interface.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Logic Pro X - Let the rumors begin
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:52:08 pm

theyve already simplified the program so much since theyve taken it over from emagic, theres not much you can do else to it.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Sep 26, 2012 at 4:57:21 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple's logic team was making great efforts to stress it will not shift toward a GarageBand interface."

[Neil Goodman] "theres not much you can do else to it."

I'll be much more convinced of Apple's commitment to a trackless salvation when Logic gets rid of those old-fashioned tracks.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Sep 26, 2012 at 5:56:01 pm

Some users will obviously be upset with LPX, especially electonica musicians who are hoping for an upgrade, not a dumb down. Perhaps the most to benefit will be FCPX users if LPX is integrated.

I use X2Pro with FCPX and waiting for Pro Tools 11. Premiere Pro CS6 seems to have OK audio with its mixer. But serious tricks such as tempo, pitch, and time change, and MIDI and Rewire probably needs a dedication audio sequencer. If FCPX/LPX integration could do that, and FCPX trims reflected in LPX, it would be enticing, but that could be too much to ask.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:07:56 pm

[Lemur Hayop] "Some users will obviously be upset with LPX, especially electonica musicians who are hoping for an upgrade, not a dumb down. Perhaps the most to benefit will be FCPX users if LPX is integrated. "

do say this cause you know theve changed it dramatically? or speculation?

IMO electronic musicians are the only oneswho benefit from Logic..in that category is scoring/sound design

people who are seriuos about mixing audio, and recording usunally dont use Logic, so theyd be alienating there only customers.

Return to posts index

joe mordecai
on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:49:32 pm

i hope nothing too drastic happens to Logic, and as it has already been streamlined since Apple acquired it, I'm going on a limb thinking that there can't be much more to "revolutionize" about it.

I will say, Logic X being updated to roundtrip with FCPX as a sort of Soundtrack Pro-style replacement sounds like a great possible update, and I hope the next FCPX update is a great one. Could tip the scales. Could.

and for the record, i am serious about recording and mixing. iTunes listed my band's first EP (recorded in Logic) as one of the best alternative rock albums of 2009. just made another EP in Logic. i switched from ProTools. i think Logic is the best recording software out there, it's no slouch, and i've done great work in it. I know ProTools is the "industry standard," but so long as Apple does pull a FCPX on Logic's update, I'll stick with it for anything I do creatively. So, it's not just "electronic musicians" who are reaping benefits from this software.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:24:32 pm

[joe mordecai] "it's not just "electronic musicians""

Internet posts by definition must simultaneously bolster one's bias while putting down the perceived contradictory position.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:36:33 am

[joe mordecai] "and for the record, i am serious about recording and mixing. iTunes listed my band's first EP (recorded in Logic) as one of the best alternative rock albums of 2009. just made another EP in Logic. i switched from ProTools. i think Logic is the best recording software out there, it's no slouch, and i've done great work in it. I know ProTools is the "industry standard," but so long as Apple does pull a FCPX on Logic's update, I'll stick with it for anything I do creatively. So, it's not just "electronic musicians" who are reaping benefits from this software."

So am i, i write, record,mix and master all my music and video projects in Logic 9. I dont really like Pro tools, so i totally agree with you. BUT, all the people people i know/and places ive worked dont use it for anything other than the writing, and even then, Ableton seems like it stealing some thunder. So yea i dint mean to offend, im one of you..love logic.

That said, what could they possibly do to change the paradigm for music creation? You cant get rid of tracks, would you just record into empty space? You need a Mixer in most situation with proper bussess and aux's. Other than that, what else is there. I doubt they want to go down the same road they did with final Cut and the backlash that ensued at first.

I hope Logic X just improves on the audio side side of things, mostly editing. Other than that i think Logic is perfect the way it is. Audio and music is way different than Video. You generally dont need the fastest machine on the market with the most expensive graphics card, etc. I know alot of people still running OS9 on Power PC G5 towers and there recording and mixing entire albums with a-list stars. I just hope apple realizes that.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:48:22 am

It's going to be built in a carbon fiber MacPro.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/26/apple-sourcing-carbon-fiber-components-...

Logic Pro X will have never weighed less.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Viktor Kamenický
on Sep 27, 2012 at 3:06:25 pm

Power to weight ratio is better than standard MacBook Pro, so it will be quicker, right?

"You never want to get to get a call from the editing room"
Art Adams

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 27, 2012 at 5:18:09 pm

[Viktor Kamenický] "Power to weight ratio is better than standard MacBook Pro, so it will be quicker, right?
"

I think it will run on a biodiesel battery. More torque, less overall speed, higher tow capacity.

In all seriousness though (sorry, Craig, you said something about rumors?) the article talked about carbon fiber in portables. I think it would help more in a bigger/heavier machine such as a MacPro.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2012 at 5:49:01 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "In all seriousness though (sorry, Craig, you said something about rumors?) the article talked about carbon fiber in portables. I think it would help more in a bigger/heavier machine such as a MacPro."

I was thinking the same thing regarding carbon fiber and the MacPro replacement next year. Maybe the better word is "trans" portable. As a means to make a Xeon powerful beast that's easier to take to a location. For me, this takes me back to the "pizza box" theory more or less.

Return to posts index

Gabe Garza
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:01:58 am

> what could they possibly do to change the paradigm for music creation?

Nothing, that's not up to Logic, that's up to the user of Logic.
Two words for all Logic users, "The Environment".

Everytime I mention it, it's like people shut the windows and doors to thier house.

After studying it and programming it, here's what I've done with it. Go to YouTube and put in this playlist

playlist?list=PLF0BFEA642A3BE3D9

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Sep 27, 2012 at 6:02:43 pm

I read many audio magazines, EM, SOS, and all the British ones with DVDs that have software and samples. Used to be Logic was second after Pro Tools because of its MIDI capabilities. A lot of big names (Moby, Chem Bros, etc) used or use Logic, but those things change and many returned to Pro Tools after Avid fixed up MIDI.

It's somewhat hard to speculate how Apple can possibly dumb down Logic, but FCPX is a fine example. Although FCPX is building up elements initially dropped for the rewrite, perhaps a similar scenario will transpire with LPX. If indeed Apple is trying to integrate FCPX with LPX maybe in a different way than STP did, then it seems to me LPX will need a rewrite from the ground up.

I think FCPX/LPX integration is the best route Apple could take. Avid has some MC/PT integration with their high end system, but if Apple can do it with FCPX and Logic, which would still have Rewire, and run on laptops, that would fill a void. Notice Adobe Audition dropped Rewire from CS6 but added better integration with Premiere Pro. If Logic drops Rewire, I won't be the only one to drop Logic.

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:55:59 am

I'm pretty darn excited.

This is pure speculation on my part... I'm wondering if the intention is for it to not only be a compositional tool, but also a sound design tool. Apple's purchase of Redmatica could add more sophisticated sample manipulation and a sample library.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:22:58 am

could it be garageband pro?
rc

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:46:44 am

I feel a new forum may be in order

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 27, 2012 at 5:42:03 pm

We'll look at this after there's more than one thread. :-) I wouldn't be surprised if this happened in very short order, but we already have a Logic forum. Since it's only getting around a post a month, we might just add an X on that bad boy and be done.

We're definitely keeping up with this, though - hey, and thanks for putting “rumors“ in the thread name. That'll get my attention even faster than a thread with my name in it. LOL

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]