FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can a corrupt Project file be fixed?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Ryan
Can a corrupt Project file be fixed?
on Sep 22, 2012 at 1:56:56 am

While working on a project today fcpx 10.0.5 started crashing often and dragging along. It was only a 15min project. had a lot of filters & transitions running. So i decided to try to break it into 3 segments and combine them later hoping it would help. I made a compound clip of the first 3 minute segment and it crashed for the last time. I could not get fcpx to open again.
It was crashing with an error "Final Cut Pro Quit unexpectedly while using the FxFactory Plug-in"
I Trashed Prefs.
I used App Zapper to get rid of FxFactory.
By process of elimination found that if i hid the project folder that i was working on, fcpx will boot again.
I reinstalled FxFactory. Once i booted again i opened another project, worked fine with FxFactory plugs and all. Then i quit FCPX. I put the corrupted project folder back into the Final Cut Projects folder. Booted up FCPX. everything is fine until i go to the project library. When FCPX tries to load this project it crashes.

Is there any fix for this? Does FCPX save older versions with autosave? Im not at a total loss, i can re-edit from scratch, i would rather not.
The event for this is fine and i lost no files.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Can a corrupt Project file be fixed?
on Sep 22, 2012 at 6:57:10 am

In the Final Cut Projects folder you will find folders of all of your Projects.

Find the corresponding folder to your corrupt Project.

In that folder, you will see "CurrentVersion.fcpproject". Above that, you should see a "backups" folder.

Rename the CurrentVersion.fcpproject to ProbablyHosed.fcpproject and move it out of that directory.

Duplicate the backup Project and move the dupe in to the root level of your Project folder.

Rename it to CurrentVersion.fcpproject.

Launch FCPX, does it work?

AppZapper does not uninstall FxFactory.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Richard Taylor
on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:12:52 am

Your Project folder could have Render files which might be the problem.

Remove those render files and see if your project launches.

http://fcpx.tv/troubleshooting.html#renderfiles

--Richard

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:24:31 pm

Richard
I tried removing the render files for both event and project. didn't have any luck. I deleted the event ones through FCPX but since i couldn't open the project i had to delete the project render files manually.

Jeremy,
thanks, i tried a few variations of the process you described and i just tried yours and didn't have any luck. Something in that project just doesn't like something in FXFactory. What does Appzapper leave behind? I've used it for other software and it worked fine.

Luckily before this project crashed i exported a movie of it so i had a reference to go by. i started building it again, in sections this time, with all the same plugins and no problems. I am backing up my projects to an external now (like i should have before).. Im almost back to where i left off.

let your fingers do the walking

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:43:35 pm

[Colin Ryan] "What does Appzapper leave behind? I've used it for other software and it worked fine."

It really depends on the software. To do a full install of FXFactory, use the uninstall option which should be under the actions menu in fxfactory.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]