FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going to Avid...but don't want to

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Going to Avid...but don't want to
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:17:02 pm

Okay Ive been cutting on Apple product since I was 16 years old learning on iMovie, going to Express and Getting FInal Cut Studio and Mastering that. THis so called "upgrade" FCP X is 1 step forward and 35 steps backwards. Producers, Post-Production Houses and Directors aren't going to take FCP X seriously with a "Send to youtube Feature" Built in. Therefore causing the User base in the industry to avoid using FCP altogether. Now all of us Post Gurus understand that FCP 7 still works great but allot of Directors and Producers and Future post house owners now see that Apple has Pulled support for FCP 7 altogether and lets be realistic, if they did this in about 2-4 years FCP 7 will be a relic. People opening new post houses will be most likely be Avid. I'm not going to be optimistic this, I'm not going to wait for Apple to say" Surprise Heres FCP 8!" 1 year down the line. Apple has gotten lost...badly and are targeting mom and dad (much like Nintendo) therefore losing and pissing on people like me who wanted to use there tools to make a living. Apple has changed from being a Creative Company to Being a Consumer Company. They have made it clear that they don't want to fight over the Film industry with this release, and because of this Horrid new consumer program my Freelance editing rate will go down even faster, I'll be likely to get 12/hour cutting creative editing using anything that Apple has touched. People need to open there eyes, Apples not catering to the "Professional" world anymore and its foolish to think that "updates" will change everything. I'm very disappointed but really don't feel like going down with the ship. Lets not get confused though, FCP X is a great program, it's just gonna destroy and remnants of a Professional trying to make a living using FCS. Im now saving up for Avid cause thats were the money is at, Veterans who have connections in the industry may be able to continue to use FCS 3 for another 5 years, I however don't have that luxury.

-2 cents

Return to posts index

Jason Wood
Re: Going to Avid...but don't want to
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:21:02 pm

I think folks that have only used FCP will be pleasantly surprised by how much they'll like Media Composer. It's a pretty solid tool.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:56:07 pm

Yeah. I gotta say, I came to Avid from Speed Razor, Incite, and a very old version of Premiere Pro. It took me a while to get my head around Avid, I'm not gonna lie to anybody. It's a different animal. But now that I've been using it for a decade, I won't touch another system unless I absolutely HAVE to. It's become so second nature that it's like an extension of my two hands.

Avid has recently begun to make mousing around more accessible for people who like to use their mouse. It's driving the long-time users crazy, but new users will probably appreciate it. At least Avid is listening to their current customers (while trying to appeal to new customers) and are making it easier to disable the damnable "smart tool" which I'm sure is meant to appeal to FCP and Premiere users.

They listen, and the software is pro to the core. Always has been and always will be.

Chris

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:12:31 am

I used MC for 5 years and DS for 12. Based on those experiences I would never go back. I hate their proprietary architecture that make 3rd party support difficult. They really screwed up a fine system (DS) by inattention and lack of support.
FCP was a breath of fresh air after Avids stodgy GUI. I hated having to send out reference movies to do work in AE.
Adobe CS5 is everything that Avid isnt and FCP was...and more. Adobe cares. Apple and Avid havnt seem to.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Jason Wood
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:21:48 am

"I used MC for 5 years and DS for 12. Based on those experiences I would never go back. I hate their proprietary architecture that make 3rd party support difficult. They really screwed up a fine system (DS) by inattention and lack of support.
FCP was a breath of fresh air after Avids stodgy GUI. I hated having to send out reference movies to do work in AE.
Adobe CS5 is everything that Avid isnt and FCP was...and more. Adobe cares. Apple and Avid havnt seem to."

This isn't an Avid vs war. Use what you're comfortable with... good god.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:39:59 am

Jason "This isn't an Avid vs war. Use what you're comfortable with... good god."

Just to clarify, I am responding to the " Going to Avid, but dont want to" theme of this thread. I stated why I wouldn't go to Avid and a good alternative way to go. Clear?

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:29:28 pm

Don't worry. I use Avid at work and use FCP at home. I appreciate both systems. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Avid is a very good program.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:36:37 pm

Agree with all of you.

I'm not in a huge hurry to switch over, but I might have to within the next 2 years.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:47:34 pm

I don't think this will drive down the rates of professional freelance editors. Look at the audio side of the business - there a re a billion (well closer to 10) dirt cheap audio recording/editing/mixing programs but professional and serious amateur musicians still record in studios and pay freelance audio engineers to use pro tools HD (the expensive one).

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:54:06 pm

Thats Audio Though. and the Choices for Audio Tools are somewhat Limited, PRO TOOLS is the dominate Program and its by no means easy to learn. However FCP X is.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:05:21 am

I think you are missing the point.

People are paying you because of your skills, your chops, your attention to detail. Just because everyone and their mother will have video editing software for cheap now doesnt mean they will be good video editors!

Maybe a better example is cars. Almost everybody has a car, they are cheap and easy to get. Just because you own a car, and drive it every day even does not mean you are qualified to drive a race car in the Daytona 500.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:20:22 am

Why so afraid? Media Composer 5 is actually a really good program. Once you get over the cursing and frustration from learning it (which, believe me, won't be easy) you'll wonder how you got by without it.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:33:38 am

FCP X provides an extremely strong technical foundation for Apple to build on. The number of features that need to be added to make it suitable for high-end workflows is relatively small, and we already have what appear to be reliable indications that several of them are in the works. Jumping to Avid now is almost precisely equivalent to having choosing to jump to Windows back in 2001, one day after Mac OS X 10.0 shipped. Except that FCP X will probably get up to speed faster than OS X did.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:48:25 am

Chris, I don't know you but I have to commend you for keeping your head. I have trouble understanding why so many people here are planning to jump ship immediately. Seems to me they could simply wait a few months and see what Apple and 3rd paries bring to flesh out the FCP X foundation.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'm hardly an Apple fanboy - I just don't get why FCP 7 worked adequately for everyone 2 days ago and now is toast, and, yes, I've been reading all the posts here. Personally I think Apple released FCP X because it was far enough along to be useful to a huge number of people, and that there will be other features rolled out fairly quickly. That's just opinion, and I'll be very disappointed if I'm wrong. But if I am wrong Avid and Adobe will still be there, right? And if I'm right I won't have spent a long more money changing to a different system unnecessarily.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:00:42 am

Just curious, why not Adobe?

It's pretty solid. Some minor quibbles here and there...or what can't it do for you, should be my question...?

Return to posts index

Matthew Celia
on Jun 23, 2011 at 2:05:50 am

If you don't want to, you don't have to switch to Avid.

And predicting the future of your pay as an editor is about as up in the air as predicting when Apple adds EDL support. So you can't say that it's bullsh*t to not have a roadmap while at the same time lamenting your "future".

You must not be a very skilled editor if you see your pay rate declining like that. Anyone worth their salt knows that it's not the tools, it's the editor that gets hired. I still know FCP 7 and will cut on that, now I will know FCP X too and because I'll know it like the back of my hand while everyone else is whining about what it doesn't do, I'll have a serious leg up. I have my system and I rock it. All my employers know that and that's why I get work. They just care that their movie is good.

So I propose that everyone who is so upset, just pretend that it never came out today while the rest of us help each other out in figuring out the ins and outs of the new software like what I expected from the COW instead of this rant fest.

----------------
FCP Guru
http://www.fcpguru.com

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:06:25 am

@Matthew Celia

Come on man...I worked really Hard to get where I am today and I STILL work very hard,for very very little. I have People Who love my work and want to hire me.....for free. I have trouble getting my Hour Rate of $25.00/hourly. I really think(THINK MIND YOU IM NOT SAYING THEY DONT) that Seasoned Vets have no clue the state of entry level editing in 2009-2011. I know allot and I'm skilled but I have no people willing to give a chance. Thats not fair to call me a non skilled editor. Today at work I had to explain to our 95.00/hour editor how a FTP works, and I had to install Plug ins for her she (didnt know how). In hollywood I guess you fail upwards.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:26:58 am

Premiere Pro in osx is also very mature since last versions
Great BMD, AJA support. Real native tapeless support. Native RED etc.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:07:23 am

[Paul Jay] "Premiere Pro in osx is also very mature since last versions
Great BMD, AJA support. Real native tapeless support. Native RED etc."

I should point out that Matrox just released their new drivers for CS5.5 which, among other things, provides for CS5.5 support of closed captioning in the PTT...no added hardware required.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:12:46 am

[David Cherniack] "I should point out that Matrox just released their new drivers for CS5.5 which, among other things, provides for CS5.5 support of closed captioning in the PTT...no added hardware required.
"

Jeeze, go to sleep David.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:16:34 am

Sleep? I just woke up less than an hour ago.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]