Rocket Jump switching from Macs to PCs
on Sep 7, 2012 at 2:55:39 pm

Interesting read:

http://www.rocketjump.com/blog/why-were-switching-from-macs

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Rocket Jump switching from Macs to PCs
on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:12:06 pm

Not that interesting, just the same arguments made for switching, that have been around for the last year.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 7, 2012 at 4:36:49 pm

[Steve Connor] "Not that interesting, just the same arguments made for switching, that have been around for the last year."

I think the 'who' in the blog, is what makes the story interesting. Freddie Wong is a major influencer amongst young, independent filmmakers.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 7, 2012 at 4:40:32 pm

[Shawn Miller] " Freddie Wong is a major influencer amongst young, independent filmmakers."

Many of whom prefer to edit off a laptop, and the article still points out that Apple laptops are second to none, so I fail to see how this will be much of an influence in the long run.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:01:10 pm

[Gary Huff] "Many of whom prefer to edit off a laptop, and the article still points out that Apple laptops are second to none, so I fail to see how this will be much of an influence in the long run."

For editing, sure. But I think a pretty big part of his fan base are also VFX/Mograph artists... I'm guessing they're more likely to be desktop/workstation users. It might also be worth mentioning that, his post is partly about moving away from FCPX.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:12:54 pm

[Shawn Miller] "It might also be worth mentioning that, his post is partly about moving away from FCPX."

Yes, unless you want to run some Apple-centric hardware, there's no reason to be tied into one platform vs another.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:17:45 pm

[Gary Huff] "Yes, unless you want to run some Apple-centric hardware, there's no reason to be tied into one platform vs another."

I completely agree.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 7, 2012 at 4:41:46 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I think the 'who' in the blog, is what makes the story interesting. Freddie Wong is a major influencer amongst young, independent filmmakers. "

OK, didn't know that because I'm old!

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Sep 7, 2012 at 8:58:06 pm

While my main system is now PC and 99% adobe there are still needs for a mac(looking at the retina). Dealing daily with content that comes in from different companies & sources a lot of the time formats are mac specific, instead of dropping dough on a bunch of plugins and quicktime codecs so I can view the content on my PC it makes more sense to put that money towards a mac that will read it natively & also give me the option of portability that my PC tower setup is missing. Workstation PC laptops are similar priced without high-res screens and gaming PC laptops are way too bulky with TN panel screens for the most part, apple still has the notebook crown. And if I do have some footage that I need on PC(IE xdcam in a quicktime container) I can transcode to prores with the macbook. It also helps that my creative cloud subscription allows 2 installs and is cross platform.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 7, 2012 at 11:05:19 pm

[Nevin Styre] "Dealing daily with content that comes in from different companies & sources a lot of the time formats are mac specific, instead of dropping dough on a bunch of plugins and quicktime codecs so I can view the content on my PC it makes more sense to put that money towards a mac that will read it natively & also give me the option of portability that my PC tower setup is missing."

Yes, because the plugins and QuickTime codecs you'd need to purchase cost well over $2200.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 7, 2012 at 8:38:01 pm

Not surprisingly. If you're into making short, vfx effects heavy content -- then pure performance is key. Adobe and Avid software runs better on Windows 7 than OSX anyway (maybe not significantly better... but again "pure performance is key").

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Sep 8, 2012 at 8:14:53 pm

A stable OS with as less maintenance as possible is just as much 'key' if you ask me.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 8, 2012 at 8:43:31 pm

[Paul Jay] "A stable OS with as less maintenance as possible is just as much 'key' if you ask me."

I agree wholeheartedly.

Fortunately, Windows is very stable and maintenance-free on good hardware, so this particular point in the platform wars is a wash.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 8, 2012 at 10:27:03 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Fortunately, Windows is very stable and maintenance-free on good hardware, so this particular point in the platform wars is a wash."

I couldn't agree more.

I have not always owned and used Macs for video work. I actually started out on SGI systems, so I was used to a bullet-proof 64-bit OS (IRIX) long before OS X matured to the point where it was even usable.

In my experience, many Mac users have little experience using other operating systems, or at least little recent experience. I'm sick of hearing the same old tired arguments against Windows that I heard back in 1995. As much as I dislike Microsoft as a company and its earlier versions of Windows, and despite the fact that I currently use Macs, I must admit that Windows has matured to a point where it's just not a factor anymore in terms of its reliability or performance. Indeed, it has some advantages over OS X, especially its support for a wide variety of graphics hardware and better OpenGL performance.

Probably the smartest thing Apple ever did was to develop ProRes. If Windows had fully integrated native ProRes read/encode support, that would go a long way toward encouraging many video pros (non-FCP users, that is) to abandon the Mac platform completely.

The only things keeping me on a Mac at this point are A) FCP 7, B) ProRes and C) Autodesk Smoke. (A) will become increasingly irrelevant. Not sure about (B), and I'm curious to see if Autodesk eventually decides to port Smoke to Windows. I don't own or use laptops, and Apple's Mac Pro is downright abysmal at this point from a price/performance perspective when compared against Windows PCs. I don't see Apple releasing a new Mac Pro that does anything but further restrict expandability by removing so-called "legacy" ports, PCIe slots and internal drive bays.

Having said that, I am in no way an Apple hater. I adore my iPhone and iPad, and I still love my 2006 Mac Pro. Unfortunately, as far as desktop computing goes, Apple has moved away from me, not the opposite.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2012 at 12:42:25 am

Spot on Alan & Walter. Creative software is much more important than OS. FCP is why I bought a Mac. Now with my switch to CS6, I see no compelling reason to buy a MacPro or to use my 2009 MacPro. Expensive restrictive hardware and poor graphics card support is what I see.

The OS argument is not on my radar. Optimising hardware to software is and WIN is a clear winner here for da Vinci and CS6. I will keep my 2009 MacPro with FCP7 and if there is demand for it, FCPX.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 9, 2012 at 3:21:34 am

[Alan Okey] "I'm sick of hearing the same old tired arguments against Windows that I heard back in 1995. As much as I dislike Microsoft as a company and its earlier versions of Windows, and despite the fact that I currently use Macs, I must admit that Windows has matured to a point where it's just not a factor anymore in terms of its reliability or performance. Indeed, it has some advantages over OS X, especially its support for a wide variety of graphics hardware and better OpenGL performance."

Indeed. I've been using Macs and PCs every day, side by side, for almost a year now. Windows is a viable choice for professional creative work today.

In a way, I think Windows suffers here from the same perception problems that FCPX does.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]