FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC - 'First' Production with BMCC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
BMCC - 'First' Production with BMCC
on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:06:03 pm

There seems to be a lot of interest in this camera and I thought I'd post this link from fcp.co

I think the guy who shot this would have done a good job with an iPhone.

Looks fantastic and it's almost funny.

http://www.fcp.co/uncatagorised/915-the-first-production-using-blackmagic-s...

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: BMCC - 'First' Production with BMCC
on Sep 6, 2012 at 12:58:19 pm

"This guy" is Marco Solorio who is generously performing a wonderful evaluation of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera now in limited distribution. Marco, and several other cinematographer/bloggers received a production version of the BMCC in August. The camera may not be perfect and lots of footage hit the cutting room floor, but the assembled short does illustrate some of the camera's capabilities when in good hands.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Sep 6, 2012 at 7:30:04 pm

Mr. Solorio was at SF Cutters last night (5 sept 12), showed the video, and talked about specific frames. Although he claims he's independent from BM, of course he won't offend the company/product since he's been spoon-fed the camera. Nevertheless, it is a fine device, albeit a prototype that seems would be superseded by an upgrade, given the numerous concerns people have, e.g., crop, power, audio, AF (lack of), iris, etc. The rep said it's "automatic iris control."

There's a barrage of unanswered questions about this camera, and the reps were vague on many aspects. The one concrete thing, according to the rep, is that production has slowed and this item will not be available to the public anytime soon. No estimate given....maybe don't expect an Xmas gift?

The emphasis is visual dynamic range. This beast shoots in the dark with ambient light and shows everything! Mr. Solorio said the "sweet" range is ASA 800. That is a hefty ASA and he said most footage of that cheesy video was shot with a low-cost and slow Sigma 8-16mm consumer lens. You can shoot this camera with just a lens, or put the whole caboodle on it.

I think the reps didn't say anything that can't be read in the manual. Kind of useless that they even showed up, but at least techies were able to drool.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 6, 2012 at 8:35:05 pm

Marco wrote extensively about the BMCC for the COW in April, and will be following up here soon. His first articles were the most read of ANY nab show coverage, by any outlet, anywhere on the web.

I feel obliged to mention that Marco placed his order to BUY the cameras like anyone else, and was offered pre-production gear based solely on the quality of his earlier coverage. Note too that he was not paid for those articles. He is not a professional journalist or reviewer of any kind. He is not a trainer who will benefit from this by having you buy courses from him. Marco is a working pro, who, as I mentioned, pays for his gear.

The rules of the game for discussing pre-production models or software releases are that criticism has to wait for shipping versions. That's true for any company, any kind of product, in any industry. That's reasonable. Any criticisms he has could well be addressed in the shipping units, and knowing Blackmagic, they may take the opportunity to add some juicy goodness that Marco hasn't seen yet.

As I mentioned above, I believe that Marco is exactly the kind of guy you want to have taking this thing for a spin. He doesn't get paid to review stuff. He doesn't get paid for training based on his insider-y knowledge. The services his company offers are editorial, grading, VFX, audio, music composition (I don't know of an instrument Marco can't play) interactive development, and, yes, shooting. He competes for clients who only pay him if his work is good, end of story.

Marco also holds very strong opinions, and you can expect to hear them in full force very soon.

In the meantime, you can take a gander at his earlier coverage here and here.

tw

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 6, 2012 at 11:08:33 pm

Thanks for the very kind words, Tim. You're always good to me! (check is in the mail, LOL!)

Here's a snippet from one of the Vimeo replies I posted, in regards to some of those that don't truly understand why we shot this video, and why we shot it this way:

We [OneRiver Media] think outside of the box, step outside of the status quo, and play by our own rules. This is due in part why we have been a successful operation for over 20 years now. But alas, I still don't think [some people in particular who'll remain nameless] get the point of why we did this, as a technical exercise that taught us and the viewing audience what this camera can do, without being distracted by gravy grades and the like. We knew people would do the beauty shots once they got their hands on the camera; we didn't want to go that route. Instead, I wanted to test the hell out of it in an extreme environment and learn what it could REALLY do. But again, to each their own. I have no regrets and cherish the knowledge I now posses using the camera in the manner we did.

To add clarity to why we shot this video and shot it in the manner we did, I created two blog posts to cover that ground, which can be viewed here:

Part 1: http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=700
Part 2: http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=709

Part 2 really spells it out clearly, and if it doesn't I don't know what else to do! But in the end, it doesn't matter, because as I mentioned in another Vimeo post, I have in my back pocket an understanding of how this camera works in specific conditions in a real-world production environment in stress situations. Had I stuck with the status quo, I wouldn't have gained all that knowledge pushing the camera as hard as we did. Without chances, you learn nothing in life or your profession.

Cheers!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 7, 2012 at 1:43:44 am

Marco-

The proof of any camera is in the pictures. I will be the first to admit, I am still skeptical about the longer term viability of this camera.

I think you and your crew's work have caused me to think harder about this camera. Can't wait to hear about what it's like to actually shoot with it, form factor and all.

Nicely done, everything looks really good from here. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it all together.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:19:09 am

Thanks so much for saying so, Jeremy. That's very kind of you to say! Honestly, I think you'll quite enjoy the camera! =)

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 7, 2012 at 8:12:58 am

Excellent film that answered a lot of questions about the camera for me, much better than endless shots of landscapes or people in crowds. We ordered ours on launch day and now have no regrets about doing that!

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 7, 2012 at 2:44:27 pm

A passive micro 4/3 mount version was just announced.

No rest for the wicked, I guess.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Sep 7, 2012 at 7:04:14 pm

And with a release date of December 2012 for the BMCC MFT model, it looks like they fully expect their supply problems to be ironed out before then because they must know that a micro four-thirds mount (supporting PL-mount with an adapter) will be a popular option for many people who were deterred by the paucity of wide lens options for the original BMCC EF and lack of support for PL-mount.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:25:48 pm

Thanks so much for saying so, Steve! You guys are really going to enjoy using the camera for sure. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Sep 6, 2012 at 9:12:16 pm

Lemur:
"The one concrete thing, according to the rep, is that production has slowed and this item will not be available to the public anytime soon."

Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure how closely you have followed the BlackMagic Cinema Camera but I read everything about it I can find and participate in BMCuser.com and the BMD forums. There certainly are lots of questions and sometimes things change of course both while it's in development and now in limited distribution.

When the BMD rep mentioned automatic iris control, that was likely a reference to the Iris button on the camera back. When you press the Iris button, for those lenses that support iris control via the EF mount, the iris will change to provide an exposure just under that determined by your zebra setting (from 75% to 100% zebra).

Several 'production' cameras were distributed recently for testing by outside pros, meaning they have the same hardware and firmware as the cameras being shipped to real customers. The shipments to real customers commenced August 31, 2012 but as far as I know, BMD has not released any numbers or identified all the distributors who are receiving cameras. I'll try to check when the next wave of shipments will occur. At least I have not heard about a cessation of production shipments. It may be that the general public may not see the camera anytime soon because they have a large back order to fill before anyone can walk into a store and buy one on the spot. Hope that's what the rep meant. If I find something more definitive, then, as Arnold said, after General MacArthur, "I'll be back."

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:29:21 am

I read both blogs that Marco linked and I am more impressed at how hard they tried to make life difficult with lights down the lens and huge stop range. But I was more impressed at how little grading was done.

Personally I think this kind of test and the effort to make it hard with the minimal of grade disguise is exactly what a lot of people like me want to see in this sort of unbiased demo.

Extra well done Marco.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:51:30 am

Yes, apparently BMD is now on record saying that there are supply shortages for the sensor! The sensor is designed for scientific uses and it makes sense that the normal volumes for those uses we're quite modest compared to the demand for the sensor in a BMCC. The ramp up in production if the sensors has not gone according to plan. Wow, you think you have the bases covered when you take on a project like delivering a new camera but Murphy us always lurking around the corner looking for an opportunity to apply his Law.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]