FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will ap[ple Drop suport for FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Will ap[ple Drop suport for FCP 7?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:52:32 pm

Given apples track record of Abandoning Things like, Shake, AGP, and others, do you think they will abandon Support for FCP7? therefore forcing people to buy and Use FCP X? Thoughts? I havent gotten it yet but was extremely tempted due to the fact that last Night I had to wait 10+ hours to Convert h.264 files into Proress, In order to Editing with them cause we all know how FCP 7 throws a fit with H.264 files in the timeline. ANyones Thoughts on FCP X? Is it worth 300 bones? Or should we all be waiting for the real FCP 8?

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Will ap[ple Drop suport for FCP 7?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:57:17 pm

If you work a lot in H264 and output to file, give it a go. If you have a sensible system (I'm using a new iMac) its screaming fast.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:59:36 pm

ya but h.264 is what Mom and dad cut in cause they fail to understand the workflow for what ever camera there shooting on. JUST DRAG AND DROP. I guess editing is that easy. having Native H.264 is great but what post in the western world would cut creatively or Color grade in h.264 its worthless.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:05:28 pm

You mentioned H264, so I'm letting you know it's as good natively as ProRes to work with - very fast.

Converting it won't make it better quality. Colour correction and adjustments are now 32-bit (if I remember correctly) so it's no longer the case that you need to convert to a 10-bit codec to get 10-bit adjustment. I was suprised how well it colour corrected. It seems 'better', but I haven't tested anything properly yet.

If you want to see for yourself, give it a go. If spending the cash now seems OTT, then wait - but I'd take a lot of reaction (mine included, I'm a bit giddy after my disappointment yesterday) with a pinch of salt. At least if you've tried it, you'll know for yourself. But hey - it's not my money...

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:19:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I've just never seen H.264 be a Legit codec to cut Creatively on, I mean you can layback h.264 I'm sure but what quality would you get?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:34:48 pm

[Greg Burke] "I've just never seen H.264 be a Legit codec to cut Creatively on"

Thats what the Canon 5D stuff is though. and the only reason to convert it was for easier playback (to prores) sure you would want that rendered and exported as something else if at all possible to avoid generation degradation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]