FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: If that is possible in this particular forum

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
OT: If that is possible in this particular forum
on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:08:43 pm

I thought this was interesting.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/08/hbo-cuts-the-cord-brings-streaming-...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: OT: If that is possible in this particular forum
on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:52:15 pm

I hadn't seen that yet.

I assume if it goes well HBO will try and do something similar in the U.S. down the line. I presume that current contracts with cable providers is one of the reasons this isn't happening in the U.S. yet. I wonder how $12.50 in the U.S. would fly though. I mean in relation to customer perception of value compared to Netflix and Hulu+ (which are both $10/mo I think). Let's say people are okay with $12.50/mo. How much do you think ESPN could get away with? Or AMC? I'd say ESPN could go higher but AMC would have to aim lower (and get its content off of Netflix).

It's almost like the a la carte service that so many people want but careful what you wish for. $50/mo is the average broadband price in the U.S. and for around $10 a pop for each 'channel' it won't take long to meet or surpass the price of the monthly cable bill but with a lot less bang for the buck.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:58:00 am

[Andrew Kimery] "How much do you think ESPN could get away with? Or AMC? I'd say ESPN could go higher but AMC would have to aim lower (and get its content off of Netflix)."

But these channels have different revenue streams all together.

[Andrew Kimery] "It's almost like the a la carte service that so many people want but careful what you wish for. $50/mo is the average broadband price in the U.S. and for around $10 a pop for each 'channel' it won't take long to meet or surpass the price of the monthly cable bill but with a lot less bang for the buck."

I'ts true, but I now have a broadband bill, a basic cable bill and the premium is extra.

It will be interesting to see if the test works.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:14:13 am

I think that this is probably the way of the future. I don't know anyone under thirty who subscribes to cable. Doesn't mean they don't exist. Just that I don't know them.

Tim

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:13:03 pm

This is the most way "off topic" post ever. Anyone else agree?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]