FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise in Premiere vs FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bell
Noise in Premiere vs FCP7
on Aug 24, 2012 at 3:28:55 pm

Howdy, NOOB here, both from a forum standpoint and from an editing standpoint as well for the most part. I've only been editing for ~1 year so I'm still learning and still trying to develop a good workflow. But...HERE is my question. Up until now I have been editing in FCP7. I'm a print designer for a living and am well-versed in the Creative Suite so I decided to transition to Premiere because of the workflow benefits it has over FCP7 and how well it integrates with and operates like the other programs in the CS. Well, for my latest project (I'm getting to my question bear with me...) I decided to work from end-to-end in Premiere. My footage was noisy from the get-go unfortunately. 1 angle was shot with a Canon 60D with a 24-70 2.8 lens @ 2.8/60 and an ISO of 800. The other was my first time using a recently acquired AF100P with, I'm sorry to say, the stock lens at...3200ISO. Well, you can imagine the noise in the camera 2 shot, but I also had a surprising amount of noise from Camera 1. When I imported the footage into Premiere, the noise from Camera 1 resembled a beautiful morning in the PNW, it looked as if there were a literal MIST FALLING in the background. The noise was actually MOVING like a sheet of rain. Output a test, test contained rain. So for grins I imported the same footage into FCP7 and no strange Mist. So, because I was on a deadline, I just went back to what I "know" and did the project in FCP7. I'm still trying to decide on what software to use. Is this some strange thing I encountered in Premiere and is there a way to troubleshoot it (BESIDES better lighting next time...)? Meaning does FCP and Premiere handle/see noise differently? I would love to move away from FCP7 and go to Premiere or possibly even FCPX if Premiere has "noise issues".

Thanks for reading...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Noise in Premiere vs FCP7
on Aug 24, 2012 at 3:58:57 pm

I don't work with PP, but for what you say, PP is masking the noise at least on the canvas, but if you see the noise in FC, the noise is there. has you tried zooming in the picture (200/400%)/

[Matt Bell] "is there a way to troubleshoot it "
there are very good denoising filters for PP and FC.
I use NeatVideo that for my makes a top job, but there are few other options.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matt Bell
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:15:03 pm

Thanks for your reply Rafael, I did blow up my canvas while working to see if it was some strange magnification thing, but it was there regardless of what percentage I was viewing my canvas at. There was no obvious indication (to ME anyway) that PP was showing me a mask. I'm assuming this would appear like a Zebra or something like that?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:01:53 pm

Matt,

That's a head-scratcher. Maybe if you uploaded some footage for us to see we could find some clues.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Matt Bell
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:19:22 pm

Thanks for your response Jason, I'll upload some footage when I get a window to do so, still backed up against a wall by today's deadline.

Having the BELOVED "out of memory" issue with FCP7 that made rendering a nightmare ON TOP of Motion files displaying type in whatever Font IT chooses...POST a 5-hour render...

Again, all of this could be just because I'm new to this but some things just seem to be FINICKY for no justifiable reason.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:24:23 pm

Sometimes, Pr defaults to "half resolution" playback for more realtime performance.

Perhaps that why the noise looked softer.

3200 ISO will be noisy on an AF100.

Despite the conversion to ProRes in FCP, and native footage handing in Pr the footage will be very similar in look provided you've taken the proper steps of log and transfer in fcp7.

Pr won't add "rain", FCP won't detract rain.

Some screen grabs would be helpful, otherwise, all we are is dust in the wind.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 24, 2012 at 5:20:17 pm

"3200 ISO will be noisy on an AF100."

Depends on how fast your lens is, and what your gamma/matrix settings are. The AF100 can produce very clean images at high iso settings. :)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Matt Bell
on Aug 24, 2012 at 5:52:47 pm

I could use some instruction from you too then Shawn HAHA!! Yeah, the only reason I used that ISO setting was because it was preset in the camera and I had seen some images that looked good using it so I rolled the dice...and lost. I Guess it was the stock lens that was the variable that did it. I had not spent ANY time with the camera at that point so it was DEFINITELY USER ERROR!!!

I was looking at lens adapters for the AF100 but all we have is EF Canon lenses and it seems as though it's not an ideal marriage in terms of ease in functionality.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:13:29 pm

[Matt Bell] "I was looking at lens adapters for the AF100 but all we have is EF Canon lenses and it seems as though it's not an ideal marriage in terms of ease in functionality."

Birger was supposed to make a mount to made EOS to AF100 seamless. It never happened, I am not sure if it's ever going to happen.

In the mean time, if you want something cheap, but not very controllable, there's a Kipon adapter that will mount m4/3 to EOS. The Kipon has a manual iris, but it vignettes like mad so you can control exposure through ISO and filters. Just remember that the lens will be wide open at all times. It's not very elegant.

You can also do an exposure dance by setting the stop on the lens on a Canon camera and taking the lens off the camera before turning it off (thus freezing the aperture) but that is an exercise in insanity.

There's also this from RedRock: http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/LiveLens-active-lens-mount-for-Canon-...

It is a separate Canon aperture controller and lens adapter. I've heard good things but haven't used it.

Return to posts index

Matt Bell
on Aug 24, 2012 at 8:30:25 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You can also do an exposure dance by setting the stop on the lens on a Canon camera and taking the lens off the camera before turning it off (thus freezing the aperture) but that is an exercise in insanity."

I READ THAT!! And my first thought was, "does that mean what I THINK it means?!". Sounds like a stone hammer.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:38:21 pm

[Matt Bell] "I could use some instruction from you too then Shawn HAHA!! Yeah, the only reason I used that ISO setting was because it was preset in the camera and I had seen some images that looked good using it so I rolled the dice...and lost. I Guess it was the stock lens that was the variable that did it. I had not spent ANY time with the camera at that point so it was DEFINITELY USER ERROR!!!"

Totally understand, that's one of the more challenging things about the AF100, it's really flexible... but that means it's really easy to make less than appealing images. I strongly recommend Barry Green's Book and/or DVD. If you'll be using the AF100 with any sort of frequency, these resources are invaluable. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:08:47 pm

Mmm, I guess it depends on your definition of clean.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:54:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Mmm, I guess it depends on your definition of clean."

I think these are pretty clean images @3200 iso. FWIW, I've also done these types of low light tests on my own AF100s (home and work)

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Matt Bell
on Aug 24, 2012 at 8:34:38 pm

THAT IS THE CULPRIT!! That is the video I saw that made me think 3200 might be ok, again, I didn't bother to look at lens he was using and then use something at least similar. That is NOT what I got at ISO3200 using the kit lens.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:17:16 pm

[Matt Bell] "That is NOT what I got at ISO3200 using the kit lens."

Ah right, you did say that didn't you? The kit lens you're talking about, is it the Lumix 14-140? It's a fantastic lens for daylight and controlled lighting situations... but not so much for lowlight. For the times when I don't have or need much light, I will only use lenses f/2.8 or faster. The few times I've had to bump the iso level higher than 800, I have not had issues with noise.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Matt Bell
on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:25:04 pm

[Shawn Miller] " is it the Lumix 14-140?"

That's the one!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 25, 2012 at 1:53:03 am

Yeap. That was shoot with the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95. That's the 4/3 lens everybody wants to shot with low light.
Look at this 10.000 ASA shoot with the same lens on a GH2:

The zoom lens that I would like to have to work on those conditions is this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546539-REG/Olympus_261011_14_35mm_f_2...
I have no that money. I use the Lumix Leica 25mm f1.4.
rafael

Return to posts index

Matt Bell
on Aug 25, 2012 at 3:11:56 am

[Rafael Amador] "That was shoot with the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95. That's the 4/3 lens everybody wants to shot with low light."

Wait...so, growing up my Dad was an amateur photographer and had a few cameras. He passed away about three years ago and got all his old gear. One of his cameras is a Voightlander, Prominent (model?). THe lens is a 1:1.5/50. Can this lens be detached and used on the AF100?!?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 25, 2012 at 11:41:01 am

[Matt Bell] "Voightlander, Prominent (model?). THe lens is a 1:1.5/50. Can this lens be detached and used on the AF100?!?"
I don't know which kind of mount uses that lens, but i found this adapter for Voigtlander to M.4/3:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638122-REG/Voigtlander_BD215A_Micro_F...
Ask them, but anyway, keep well that beautiful camera.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]