FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closing projects so they don't appear in the Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Blainey
Closing projects so they don't appear in the Timeline
on Aug 15, 2012 at 6:23:53 pm

Ok, so I have no idea how to stop a project form opening in the Timeline. There is a little white left / right arrow that allows you to move from one timeline to another, which is fine, but I want to close some of the projects out so that they are not available to switch between.

Anyone know how to do this?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Closing projects so they don't appear in the Timeline
on Aug 15, 2012 at 7:29:13 pm

Do you mean when you are in a Compound or Timeline?
Or maybe you want to click on the Project icon at bottom left (Film reel) and select Projects from there.

Return to posts index

Adam Blainey
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:07:50 pm

I mean in the timeline. I understand that if I make compound clips, I can use the arrows to move between timelines that contain them and / or the main project, let's say, but I also other projects from the past available to switch to, and it is annoying. All I want to do is close a timeline so that it is not available to switch between with those areas.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:20:44 pm

A quick way is to create a folder in the Project Library (e.g. ClientX) and drag them in there. I sometimes have 20 version of a project, So I make a folder for all timelines that are "done for ClientX" or "prep only". This way they don´t appear in the Project Browser all the time, only when I step into the folder.

If you want to have them somewhere else totally (and this works with events too) go to the Finder. Find the Final Cut Projects directory and drag the Projects somewhere else. Once they are out of that directory FCPX doesn´t see them.
I have in every project a FCPEventparked and a FCPProjectparked directory. Once I don´t need them or want to hide them I drag the event and projects in there. Takes a second (when they are dragged within the same drive!!!).

There is also an app EventManagerX, but I don´t use it, because it only makes sense on one machine and I edit on 2 or have to share external drives a lot.

Return to posts index

Adam Blainey
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:51:45 pm

Ok, that works. One proviso, however, is that ALL projects must be in a folder. I had a couple of projects that weren't in folders, so I couldn't get them out of my timeline. The weird thing is, the project I couldn't get out of my timeline was in a collapsed folder, but others weren't, so it was causing that issue. Kinda weird, but now I know what to do.

Thanks!
Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]