FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Cloud Atlas trailer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Harlan
OT: Cloud Atlas trailer
on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:44:27 am

Anyone know who cut the extended trailer for Cloud Atlas? Because they did an astounding job. Whoever you folks are, you are people I would love to work with! Brilliant stuff!

http://cloudatlas.warnerbros.com/index.php

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: OT: Cloud Atlas trailer
on Aug 10, 2012 at 10:13:16 am

I saw this recently, it's an astounding piece of work.

I hope the movie lives up to it!

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 10:25:47 am

[Steve Connor] "I saw this recently, it's an astounding piece of work.

I hope the movie lives up to it!

S"

I just finished reading the book, which is astounding in its own right. It takes guts to try to turn that into a movie--with a running time of 3:45, no less! Even if it fails, it will be a spectacular fail. One worth seeing. The trailer DOES line up well with the book, so I have hope.

Good on the Tom Tyker and the Wachowskis for taking on something truly hard, but worth doing.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:41:23 pm

Tykwer's Run Lola Run and Der Krieger und die Kaiserin are two of my favorite films. The second film especially has some amazing scenes.

Hopefully this is a return to form for him.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Aug 10, 2012 at 1:00:46 pm

Really?! 3:45? I don't think I could sit through it and I love movies.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 10, 2012 at 1:59:28 pm

[Craig Shields] "Really?! 3:45? I don't think I could sit through it and I love movies."

Have you actually watched it?

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:01:46 pm

Obviously not since I said "I don't think I could sit through it". My point was that it seems too long of a movie.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:10:05 pm

[Craig Shields] "Obviously not since I said "I don't think I could sit through it". My point was that it seems too long of a movie.
"

If you want to tell a complex story then you need the time to tell it, "Cloud Atlas is an incredibly complex book.

I'm happy to watch a long movie as long as it doesn't feel like a long movie.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:13:31 pm

The trailer looks truly epic - can't wait to see it.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:16:36 pm

I've been in a cave lately and haven't seen this. This looks great.

Cool website, too.

Thanks, Chris.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:22:32 pm

I have seen it. They did a preview screening (unfinished). I was completely blown away. It's an amazing film. The editing in it is groundbreaking in my opinion. It took me about 15-20 minutes to get comfortable with how the movie was unfolding, but after that I was in awe for all 3+ hours of it.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:30:04 pm

[Andy Neil] "I have seen it. They did a preview screening (unfinished). I was completely blown away. It's an amazing film. "

Glad to hear it!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:41:47 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Glad to hear it!"
I had a long day with my family.
Got to finally sit down and read up online.
This trailer humbled me.
Thanks for that.
I needed this :)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:32:01 pm

[Craig Shields] "Really?! 3:45? I don't think I could sit through it and I love movies.
"

Stay away from Lawrence of Arabia then. Almost exactly the same length. And, one of the greatest films ever made.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:54:55 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Stay away from Lawrence of Arabia then. Almost exactly the same length. And, one of the greatest films ever made."

Yes, absolutely.

Prince Feisal: With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me, it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.

T.E. Lawrence: My friends, we have been foolish. Auda will not come to Aqaba. Not for money...
Auda abu Tayi: No.
T.E. Lawrence: ...for Feisal...
Auda abu Tayi: No!
T.E. Lawrence: ...nor to drive away the Turks. He will come... because it is his pleasure.
[pause]
Auda abu Tayi: Thy mother mated with a scorpion.

And I wish there was a way to quote the look of a lone camel and rider approaching a well across the dessert shot with a super long lens while the heat waves rise and warp the image.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:21:34 pm

He likes your lemonade.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:39:51 pm

T.E. Lawrence: Certainly it hurts.
Officer: What's the trick then?
T.E. Lawrence: The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:01:07 pm

So where would you draw the line then on whether you would go see a movie or not? 4hrs? 5,6hrs? Because I do agree with a point that was made earlier that a movie not feeling like a long movie. Inception felt like a long movie to me. So if they said that this movie was 5:45 would you still be excited to go see it?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:10:59 pm

[Craig Shields] "if they said that this movie was 5:45 would you still be excited to go see it?"

at 5:45 they would break it into 2 movies. I don't know of any theatrical feature that is longer than 4 hours. The Sorrow and the Pity is a Documentary and comes in at 4:11 and only Woody Allen has probably ever sat thru the whole thing. On the other hand if they wanted to release The Wire as a feature, all 60 hours of it, as long as they fed me and stopped for bathroom breaks I would be waiting on line.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:34:13 pm

[Herb Sevush] " I don't know of any theatrical feature that is longer than 4 hours."

Herb,

It'll hinge on what you consider a "theatrical feature", but Our Hitler (Syberberg) is the first that comes to mind ... over 7 hours. It received a small theatrical run in some American centres after it premiered, I think.

Edit: I should probably mention Shoah (Claude Lanzmann) as well (Edit, already mentioned above), over 10 hours originally, though I don't know of its distribution history..

A couple of other long docs come to mind as well.

Franz.

(Did I just Godwin this thread?)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:44:14 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Our Hitler (Syberberg) is the first that comes to mind ... over 7 hours. It received a small theatrical run in some American centres after it premiered, I think."

Which just shows you the limit of what I know. Does it break for an intermission or two, or are you supposed to hold your water till it ends?

There are plenty of Docs and art films that run longer. I believe there is a Warhol film that runs for 24 hours.

On a more serious note Eugene O'neil's plays were often very long and Strange Interlude, which runs over 4 hours, is often staged with a dinner break or alternatively over two days.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:47:01 pm

[Herb Sevush] "On a more serious note Eugene O'neil's plays were often very long and Strange Interlude, which runs over 4 hours, is often staged with a dinner break or alternatively over two days.
"

The Iceman Cometh is four plus hours. Brilliant play!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:41:58 pm

[Herb Sevush] "On the other hand if they wanted to release The Wire as a feature, all 60 hours of it, as long as they fed me and stopped for bathroom breaks I would be waiting on line."

Yeah, I watched the first three seasons of Breaking Bad this way.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:37:05 pm

[Craig Shields] "So where would you draw the line then on whether you would go see a movie or not? 4hrs? 5,6hrs? Because I do agree with a point that was made earlier that a movie not feeling like a long movie. Inception felt like a long movie to me. So if they said that this movie was 5:45 would you still be excited to go see it?
"

I really wouldn't think about it one way or another. In terms of pure film esthetics, the viability of the content is what sets the viability of the running time. One of the more searing experiences I've ever had as a viewer was watching the 1985 documentary Shoah, which sports a 9.5 hr runtime. I tend to think of Lord of the Rings as a single movie broken into three parts, and someday hope to experience it in a theatre exactly that way.

A movie's length is most often based on what is optimal for distribution, especially in the last thirty years. A 90ish minute film can have more daily screenings than a 2 hour film. The pressure is generally to keep films shorter. This is probably where you get your sense of why a film should be only be a certain length.

But throughout film history many blockbusters have bucked this notion. Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Napoleon, Greed, Les Miserables, Children of Paradise, Fanny and Alexander, Berlin Alexanderplatz (14 hours!), Gandhi, etc.

And, once upon a time, the audience was routinely primed for such long films. The notion of a night at the cinema was the rule rather than the exception. Newsreels, cartoons, single reel featurettes and serials preceded the feature (which is why we still call them feature films) The "Double feature," which has completely disappeared, other than in a few art houses, was a mainstay of movie going for decades. Your sense of what a movie's length "should be" is based on the needs of distributors and multiplex owners and not on anything intrinsic about movies themselves.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:47:20 pm

Relevant wikipedia list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_films_by_running_time

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:56:41 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Relevant wikipedia list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_films_by_running_time"

The most interesting films for me on the list are Napolean, the Able Gance silent film restored by Capolla, 1900 by Bertolucci and most interestingly Cleopatra, which is as hollywood as it gets - Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Rex Harrison and an army of extra's - I didn't realize it was that long - I thought it only felt that long. The film I would most liked to have seen is the 10 hour version of Von Stroheim's Greed - I've seen the 2:20 version that was released, and it was brilliant. They melted down the rest of the footage for the silver nitrates, truly a "greedy" decision.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Aug 10, 2012 at 7:25:48 pm

Herb,

Similar thoughts on Cleopatra, though I haven't seen it.

Frankly, I've been surprised by the return of long running times in theatrical films. In past where long times have tended to be the province of historical dramas and such sweeping epics, the current trend seems to favour pop culture and comic books.

It does seem to be based on the same idea of films as events though.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 8:35:54 pm

[Herb Sevush] "The film I would most liked to have seen is the 10 hour version of Von Stroheim's Greed - I've seen the 2:20 version that was released, and it was brilliant. They melted down the rest of the footage for the silver nitrates, truly a "greedy" decision."

There's a four hour reconstruction available on iTunes, which is quite nice.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 10, 2012 at 8:55:35 pm

[Chris Harlan] "There's a four hour reconstruction available on iTunes, which is quite nice."

Adding an hour and a half recreation based on stills seems a bit much, but I'll give it a look. It's been almost forty years since I saw it but the final shots with McTeauge stranded in the dessert starting on a CU then cutting to a MS, the WS, then Ultra Wide is almost a cliche now but that was where that type of sequence was born and it was amazing.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:12:50 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Adding an hour and a half recreation based on stills seems a bit much, but I'll give it a look. "

It is. Its mostly a curiosity. But it does give you a glimpse of what could have been. Correct that--what was, and is no more.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 10, 2012 at 5:39:11 pm

This trailer is just fantastic. I'll see the film based on the trailer and the cast alone. Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:32:55 pm

Speaking of long movies, Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" (opening Nov. 21) is going to be 3.14159265359 hours long.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

The typos here are most likely because I'm, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 11, 2012 at 12:19:36 am

[Tim Wilson] "Speaking of long movies, Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" (opening Nov. 21) is going to be 3.14159265359 hours long.
"

Long reverberating rim shot.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 11, 2012 at 9:03:52 pm

It's all greek to me...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>