FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macbook Pro Retina owners or soon to be owners beware of firewire!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brooks Tomlinson
Macbook Pro Retina owners or soon to be owners beware of firewire!!
on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:09:41 am

Hey all,
Just got my apple thunderbolt to firewire adaptor, and I am a little disappointed. It is running much slower in speed test then an mbp with firewire built in.

MBPr disk speed test on OWC mercury 2tb drive, 46.7 MB/s Write, 31.2 read
MBP 13inch, 2011, same drive, 70.1 MB/s Write, 77.6 MB/s read.

Repeated the same results with my G-raid mini set up in mirror.

What really sad is, on the macbook pro retina, I hooked up the usb 2.0 to the OWC and got 36.9 MB/s Write, 37.8 MB/s Read.

What is worst, is if I hook up my 7200 RPM laptop drive, and use my usb 3.0 attachment, 53.2 MB/s write/ 54.2 Read

and if I hook that same 7200 rpm drive up, using my seagate thunderbolt adaptor. its, 54.6/54.4 MB/s Write/Read

So it looks like that thunderbolt to firewire adaptor is just there to give you some flexibility, and retrieve media off the drive. But not nearly the speed horse it was. Not to mention the G-raid Mini can not be powered by the Tbolt to firewire adaptor alone. It needs a power source. But if you hook up the G-raid mini to any other normal firewire 800 port, it works fine without additional power.

Anyone know a good usb enclosure that does mirroring like the G-raid mini? (i use the mirror when i'm in the field for my af-100 footage)

Thanks,

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Macbook Pro Retina owners or soon to be owners beware of firewire!!
on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:16:31 am

FW 400 or 800 tBolt to FW adaptor? Those speeds are below FW spec so I would expect a device that is sold to meet minimum spec. If it doesn't then it should be replaced or refunded.

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:30:20 am

The thunderbolt to FireWire adaptor by apple is FireWire 800. If you hook a normal hard drive up via sata you will get 60 to 70 mb/s read/write times. It's a drive limitation, not FireWire limitation. You will not instantly get faster speeds because instead of sata you are using FireWire.

Besides, the adaptor is on 30 bucks. The only other fw to thunderbolt adaptor is like 250 bucks. I just want to inform the cow about what I found. That there is a speed hit with the adaptor. Which is common with adapters.

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:01:57 am

You report usb speed only slightly under the adaptor. If it isn't reaching FW800 spec then it shouldn't be sold as FW800.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:12:26 am

This is making my choice to go non-retina feel like a REALLY good choice right now. As I am flush with FW800 drives. And I mean FLUSH.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:31:00 am

I don't know about this....i have the maxed out smok'n Retina Display MBP 16 gigs ram max HD..hooked up to my caldigit VR Mini with Thunderbolt to Firewire adapater and it's smok'n fast....

don't know how to do an actual speed test (point me to one to download and I'll do it) but no speed hit at all in fact it's much faster than last year's MBP model with all regular platter hard drives

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:30:54 pm

you can get the black magic speed test at the apple app store free. just search "blackmagic disk speed test"

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:49:56 pm

Andy can you test your soon and reply with status.
Almost on the same boat as you but I dont have a rMBP yet.

Return to posts index

Simon Rogers
on Aug 21, 2012 at 3:37:29 am

On a somewhat related note, is your Caldigit Mini VR working via bus power (via the TB>FW adapter) on the Retina MBP? I've read conflicting reviews as to which drives are working via bus power and which arent...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Aug 9, 2012 at 7:06:48 am

All your drives have e-sata. Get a lacie sata thunderbolt hub and you will have 2 drives running SATA speeds for fast editing.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:08:39 pm

[Paul Jay] "All your drives have e-sata. Get a lacie sata thunderbolt hub and you will have 2 drives running SATA speeds for fast editing.
"

LOL. There are a LOT of earlier model G-RAIDS that are Firewire only. I don't think they started adding eSATA until just a couple of years ago, around 2009 or 2010. I've got a half-dozen of those. I am using that LaCie TBolt hub, though. It works pretty well.

Return to posts index

Tony Sarafoski
on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:55:02 am

Paul, confirmation question.

I currently run a 4TB CalDigit VR2 drive which I connect to my 17" MBP via the ExpressCard/34 slot. If I upgrade to the 15" Retina, from what I understand I should then purchase a LaCie eSATA Hub which then becomes my gateway between my MPBr and CalDigit drive.

Currently having this drive running through my ExpressCard/34 slot, I seem to only be reaching read speeds of approximately 100-120MB/s, & write speeds of about 80-90MB/s.

I'm curious to know if I run this drive through the LaCie eSATA Hub, and connect it to my 17" MBP via Thunderbolt, would I be more likely to reach read/write speeds closer to it's max which are 250MB/s?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Aug 9, 2012 at 3:22:54 pm

There DOES seem to be a significant speed hit using the thunderbolt to fire-wire 800 adapter

Did test on OLD macbook pro got 43.2 write 63.7 read off Caldigit VR Mini

on New Retina display same test 36.9 write 24 read -- that's a big hit - although playing and editing video from that drive doesn't seem slow

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:05:34 pm

Thanks Andy.
Can this be also attributed to the OS version?

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:15:06 pm

On the test I ran, it was the exact same os version, 10.7.4. I will have to dual boot 10.8 when I get it and see if it helps.

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:54:42 pm

not sure - the Retina Display mbp has the latest Lion on it - the other older computer had snow leopard ..can't imagine the OS would affect the firewire/thunderbolt connection -- although the more programs i quit on the OLD macbook - the faster the drive worked in the test on that older machine

Testing on the Retina display with nothing else running (by the way i ran the test on the SSD on the new Retina internal drive too) that is CRAZY fast - pinned the needle in write and read -- i think something like 485 mbs....

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Eric Emerick
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:55:43 pm

I'm getting 68 mbps write and 86 mbps read with OWC 1Terabyte FW800 HD to TB adapter on maxed out retina MBP.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 8, 2012 at 12:31:44 pm

This is an old thread but I wish to bring a little update for any future readers.

My thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter was also producing bad results: 40-50MB/sec read and write. However, almost immediately afterwards my rMBP began having thunderbolt disconnect issues with all my devices. I've talked about this in a few other threads, but the bottom line is that my rMBP had some hardware faults in it. I use a thunderbolt RAID, and in the frustration almost forgot entirely about the bad FW speeds.

Apple swapped me a new model today due to the thunderbolt power issues, and same drive with same thunderbolt-to-FW adapter is now producing 80-90MB/sec speeds -- which is exactly the same as traditional FW. I can't say for certain that this is only due to a faulty port, as my old rMBP had OSX 10.7.4 and this replaced model has 10.8.2 ... but if it isn't the OS it most certainly was the faulty hardware.

Moral of the story: if your FW drive is acting up ...you may have a similar thunderbolt power issue that afflicted my rMBP and it needs to get checked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]