Craig Seeman
Mountain Lion's impact on Premiere Pro, PhotoShop, Motion - GPUs
on Jul 27, 2012 at 7:03:27 pm

http://barefeats.com/mtlion.html

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Mountain Lion's impact on Premiere Pro, PhotoShop, Motion - GPUs
on Jul 27, 2012 at 9:19:47 pm

With all the recent benchmarks barefeats has been doing, there's simply no clear "winner" besides perhaps a super brand new 16 core CPU with a nice cuda GPU, which is to be expected.

Some things run faster, some things run slower, CUDA is good but not a savior, OpenCL seems to be moving in a decent direction.

It's harder than ever to pick your poison based off of a benchmark.

Workflows need to be so varied for a lot of us that having specialized equipment (like a Red Rocket, or tesla GPU) seems uncertain. I'd gladly pay for the right tools, but it's hard to know where to throw money these days.

Or maybe I'm just gun-shy.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 28, 2012 at 12:01:13 am

Nope, you're right. I have an i7 iMac that utilizes OpenCL and sandy bridge blah blah to work great with FCP X. Premiere doesn't utilize the GPU though, but still runs great. The NEW AE is really cool, but rendering in the new 3D isn't supported by the GPU either and really, just, kinda, blows. Especially since the new 3D rendering disables multiprocessing. So, it's extra slow.

On other fronts, I have a Blackmagic card that supports DaVinci resolve. Awesome. But that card isn't supported by Smoke, which runs great on the iMac. Smoke only uses AJA. So running Smoke, Resolve, and AE would require something totally different I guess. A PC? Nope, Smoke 2013 is just mac at the moment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 28, 2012 at 3:23:59 am

Yep, all the while needing to keep a working copy of fcs3 around for the foreseeable future.

You can add SpeedGrade to that which can get SDI through a PC only Nvidia daughter card.

More waiting for everything to change, I guess.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 28, 2012 at 10:46:23 am

From the Adobe side, the Directional blur is not GPU accelerated, so it has no bearing on the results. They don't mention the amount of RAM in each systems which would make a big difference and their testing methodology is anecdotal at best.

Finally, it'd be great if they'd spell Premiere Pro correctly! ;-)

From the engineering side, I hear that Mountain Lion addresses a lot of GPU issues, though I am probably not going to upgrade to Mountain Lion any time soon.

Note that the Photoshop GPU accelaration is OpenGL not OpenCL or CUDA.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 28, 2012 at 6:34:47 pm

It's looking like my 2006 MacPro is going to be that machine since it. Any upgrade past Lion. . I still have the Matrox for it and it runs like a champ with a 5770.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]