FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render/Encode Benchmarks: FCPX vs. PPro CS6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Render/Encode Benchmarks: FCPX vs. PPro CS6
on Jul 27, 2012 at 5:59:09 pm

Was this posted here already? It's from earlier this month.

I'd be interested in reactions. (I think he's using suboptimal hardware for FCPX if I'm remembering past posts correctly).

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Producer/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=...

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Render/Encode Benchmarks: FCPX vs. PPro CS6
on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:15:55 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I think he's using suboptimal hardware for FCPX if I'm remembering past posts correctly"

He is -- and this is the challenge I've found in trying to provide advice about hardware purchases. I'd get totally different systems if I were purpose-building them for FCPX or Premiere Pro. If Apple had released an E5 Xeon-based Mac Pro, it'd be an easier decision, as the only difference between the two systems then would be the preferred graphics card.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I'd be interested in reactions."

I was interested in Ben Balser's reaction in the comments. Since I find his articles on FCPX University to be highly biased themselves, his accusations of pro-Adobe propaganda were amusing -- but I am sympathetic to his point that this test is simply not fair to FCPX.

Personally, I think the more interesting test would be a purpose-built FCPX rig versus a purpose-built Pr rig with comparable editorial and effects. There is no optimal shared configuration, so perhaps hardware should be a variable, not a constant.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: Render/Encode Benchmarks: FCPX vs. PPro CS6
on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:53:56 pm

I think any kind of benchmarking involving X or related apps is a bit unpredictable and will give somewhat unreliable results.
I had to render a 90 minute project out of Motion 5 last week. It took three hours. I had to re-render it two days ago, no changes whatsoever, and this time it took only 2 hours. When I am sending the same project to Compressor (unclustered) it renders the thing in 45 minutes. It's just weird and inconsistent. Same machine, fresh boot, nothing changed at all. Also render times went up and down with recent updates for Motion so I am guessing the same might go on with X.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]