FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX does not even work for me a single user.I

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Burgess
FCPX does not even work for me a single user.I
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:02:39 pm

I only edit my own documentary work using FCP7 but I do need to be able to work on the same project of different machines including my Laptop, It seems that I cannot transfer a job to another machine to continue working on it in another location and if that is the case FCPX does not even work even for my limited needs.

So its not just editing pros that are finding FCPX limiting.

I do not rely on my work to live but if I did and was in the position of many here, I would feel pretty angry towards Apple for it seems they have deserted the pro market and I for one cannot see any chance of them correcting this blunder ... in fact whilst I hope they may at least give some sort of road plan so that users may make informed decisions, I do not even hold out hope of that happening.

Paul

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
Re: FCPX does not even work for me a single user.I
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:07:45 pm

[Paul Burgess] "It seems that I cannot transfer a job to another maching to continue working on it in another location and if that is the case FCPX does not even work even for my limited needs."

I haven't tried it yet But you should be able to do what you are asking. It allows you the ability to Create events (previously called projects) on any drive you want. It also will organize all your imported media into one location for you. So assuming you have an external drive and your media and event(project) are on that external...it should work on any machine.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:54:27 pm

So it does not store certain files in the Movie directory on your system drive that make it unique to that Machine?

Paul

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:58:13 pm

[Paul Burgess] "So it does not store certain files in the Movie directory on your system drive that make it unique to that Machine?"

It defaults to the Movie folder, but you can save an event and subsequent imported media anywhere you like.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:38:52 pm

This written by Walter is what I based my point on

"Let's just forget the word "professional" for the moment. You're an upstart filmmaker who has this installed on your iMac at home cutting your latest project. You gave the media to a buddy of yours who has offered to help on his laptop. So you send the Project file over to him and guess what? He'll see your timeline but all that organization you did with the smart folders, keyword folders, etc.... are gone. All he sees is a huge "Event" with all your media just laid out there. Whereas if you were both working in Final Cut Pro 7 or earlier, when you handed him the Project file, all of your organization (bins, sequences, etc…) would all be there."

Paul

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:24:45 pm

[Paul Burgess] "This written by Walter is what I based my point on

"Let's just forget the word "professional" for the moment. You're an upstart filmmaker who has this installed on your iMac at home cutting your latest project. You gave the media to a buddy of yours who has offered to help on his laptop. So you send the Project file over to him and guess what? He'll see your timeline but all that organization you did with the smart folders, keyword folders, etc.... are gone. All he sees is a huge "Event" with all your media just laid out there. Whereas if you were both working in Final Cut Pro 7 or earlier, when you handed him the Project file, all of your organization (bins, sequences, etc…) would all be there."

Paul"

NOpe... that's just plain Wrong. I just tested it. I have FCPX on both a MacPro and a macbook pro. I copied my "FCP Projects" folder as well as My "FCP Events" folder from my Raid on the MacPro to an FW800 Drive. Plugged the drive in to my

[Paul Burgess] " This written by Walter is what I based my point on

Paul"

That's Wrong... but not Totally Wrong. It doesn't work the way you'd want it to.

I just ran a couple tests. I have FCPX loaded on a Mac Pro, and a MacBook Pro. I edited/keyworeded something on my Mac Pro. Then dropped my FCP Events Folder and my FCP Projects folder on a FW Drive. I mounted that and the project opened fine....but I thought walter was right. It wouldn't load the events library meaning all the logging organizing metadata was gone. BUT. Then I decided to create a new event on that FW drive. Effectivly telling final cut Look at this drive too when searching for event directories. So when I quit out of final cut after creating that new event. I reopened and there was my original Event data from my MacPro.

There appears to be no way of manually loading an events library which seems to be a problem...but There's a workaround. Only took me five minutes to figure out. It does seem to illustrate a problem on the user end...which is once people hit a wall...they assume something isn't possible...so they give up. Rather than poking around a bit for a solution.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:49:47 pm

I hear you man.

I'm a hobbyist. I worked with FCP7 and Motion for a long long time. I do not need the pro features like XML, multicam, etc.

Even for me as hobbyist FCPX is unusable for two reasons:
  • Can neither import motion files, nor "send-to-motion" anymore. Only "publishing" from within motion is available. Worst. Workflow. Ever.
  • Can only operate on a limited set of resolutions. Try to create a project that is 1024x576 squared. IMPOSSIBLE!

• If they fix these two limitations, I'm happy.

And a lot of usability issues, for example no blend mode settings in the context menu.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
    on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:55:49 pm

[Stefan Buhrmester] "blend mode settings in the context menu"

No, actually, blending modes are well implemented despite what Rich Harrington says.

Lot of other stuff missing though, I grant you!!!!

Simon Ubsdell
    Director/Editor/Writer
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
    on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:58:26 pm

We immediately corrected that statement within the episode itself.

But I can think of several apps that let me use blend modes and experiment right from the keyboard.
    Also ones that don't keep caching render files with each change.

FCPX does okay with blend modes. I've seen better.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
    on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:34:28 am

[Stefan Buhrmester] "And a lot of usability issues, for example no blend mode settings in the context menu."

Wrong. The Blend modes are all there.

FUD-busting-away...

Edit Out Ltd
    ----------------------------
    FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
    EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
    RED camera transfer/post
    Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Stefan Buhrmester
    on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:48:50 am

Please have the civility to at least try to read and understand what I have written before calling me FUD-busting.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
    on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:15:09 pm

[Paul Burgess] "I only edit my own documentary work using FCP7 but I do need to be able to work on the same project of different machines including my Laptop, It seems that I cannot transfer a job to another machine to continue working on it in another location and if that is the case FCPX does not even work even for my limited needs.
    "

Absolutely not the case. I think the only limitation is carrying the project with the media - so if you take a drive from one computer to the other, the project opens exactly as you left it. I've been doing this all day. It's quite liberating.

Walter alludes to the fact that if two people are working on the same project, and both have local media, they can't mail the project to each other. If that's true (I'm sure it is) this needs fixing. But for what you want, if I read you correctly, FCPX is all good. A Thunderbolt drive would round stuff off nicely.

We could do with a little less FUD here.

Edit Out Ltd
    ----------------------------
    FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
    EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
    RED camera transfer/post
    Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
    on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:27:45 pm

[Ben Holmes] "Absolutely not the case. I think the only limitation is carrying the project with the media - so if you take a drive from one computer to the other, the project opens exactly as you left it. I've been doing this all day. It's quite liberating.

Walter alludes to the fact that if two people are working on the same project, and both have local media, they can't mail the project to each other. If that's true (I'm sure it is) this needs fixing. But for what you want, if I read you correctly, FCPX is all good. A Thunderbolt drive would round stuff off nicely.

We could do with a little less FUD here.

Edit Out Ltd"

Ben, read my response I just posted. Walter was Partially right.

I read your stuff on another thread...and the reason that worked for you is you had built the project on that portable drive...so when you opened the project it knew where the event's library was. I'm assuming walter did a test (he might not have). and it wouldn't automatically know where the event's library was and he couldn't figure out how to get it to mount the event's library.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]