FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPx + Mountain Lion on Mac Mini i7 = speed demon :)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Jacana
FCPx + Mountain Lion on Mac Mini i7 = speed demon :)
on Jul 26, 2012 at 9:46:54 pm

Ok so I'm not running a 100 core cluster just a dual core 2012 i7 mac mini with a AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB but wow, FCPx is a lot faster on the transcoding side. I swear I benchmarked 3x for 1080p60 transcoding now it's more like 1x !!!

Also OSX finally plays AVCHD natively even my nice 1080p60 footage at 28mbps does not stutter and it uses way less CPU cycles.

Looks like they are finally using Open GL. (On my shite box Windows 7 laptops I've been able to play native avchd with low cpu usage for the past year ;) so well done apple for catching up)

This is great new for us cheapskates using mini's instead of Mac Pros :)

Can someone confirm this speed increase just incase I've been drinking too much of the Job's Kool aid.

Return to posts index

nick ring
Re: FCPx + Mountain Lion on Mac Mini i7 = speed demon :)
on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:36:34 am

That's great to hear. On the MacRumors forum a member alluded to the idea that working with AVCHD under Mountain Lion is much improved. I'm installing it tonight on my MBP. Looking forward to playing with it.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:06:18 am

That might of been me :) spreading the word around. You results may vary as even though I have a pretty wimpy machine i7 dual not quad core I have a newish graphic card so if your machine is more than a year old, not sure if you'll get the speed increase.

My guess is that they finally programmed the OS to use the graphics card - like Windows 7 has been doing for the past 2 years ;)

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jul 27, 2012 at 12:19:11 pm

finally programmed the OS to use the graphics card?

Well i guess i haven't used my 5770 ATI card in FCPX last year.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:28:19 pm

Give it a try, not sure what cards are supported but I guess you need the latest and greatest for it to work best and all modern cards support Open CL so who knows. I basically have the lowest card as far as specs are concerned and only 256mb of memory.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Jul 27, 2012 at 7:31:23 pm

Ok, perhaps i got carried away here, 1080p60 footage still takes 2x, so that's down from 3x and add a quad core machine and you're down to 1x.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]