FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mountain Lion Stability

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Sonnenfeld
Mountain Lion Stability
on Jul 25, 2012 at 3:48:59 pm

So I will be waiting to upgrade to Mountain Lion until AJA confirms compatibility and Adobe and Avid fix whatever issues might pop up, but as an OS, what do we expect the stability to be like? Lion had a lot of issues at first, so much so that I heard people claiming that it just wasn't ready for prime time when it was released. Do we think that Apple has rushed another OS out, or will it be a strong release. Would love to hear from any early adopters if there are any out there!

Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: Mountain Lion Stability
on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:07:10 pm

I'm installing on a fresh drive today to test things out. Will let you know!

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:24:50 pm

Putting it on two iMacs and a macbook pro 2008 now. Will tell myself to wait, but we'll probably be installing it on the big macs today as well. Doh!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:26:51 pm

Oh, and it looks like AJA has ML drivers out today. Nice!

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:50:43 pm

Installed.

Everything seems to work fine including FCP 7.

Lance

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:52:41 pm

Does it seem like a worthy upgrade? I'd like to get it if the updated features are nice and it doesn't break FCP7 or Adobe CS6.

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:03:29 pm

There is nothing in the update that mean much to me. I upgraded due to OC disorder.

By the way, I have upgraded immediately every single time the OS or any of my business software (FCP, After Effects) changed.

I have read the endless descriptions of elaborate procedures for upgrading, involving multiple boot drives, etc. and multiple backups.

I always thought those were a waste of time. I have never had a single problem and estimate I have saved many many hours at the risk (which I was aware of) of rebuilding my system.

Best,

Lance

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:14:04 pm

@AdobePremiere tweeted that Mountain Lion improves performance and stability in Premiere. Of course check with all of your vendors, hardware, plug in and otherwise.

Also, released FAQ: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#lion-os

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:22:15 pm

I heard that 10.8 will take AVCHD folders and treat them as "packages" -- meaning you cannot view inside the packages unless you right-click > show package contents.

If this is true then this has implications for all NLEs I... and I don't know if there is a function to turn it off. Whoever has 10.8 installed it would be great to test/verify or debunk this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:46:00 pm

Couldn't find anything, but here's from the Montain Lion features page:

AVCHD video
In Mountain Lion, QuickTime Player makes working with AVCHD video easy. A built-in clip browser shows you the video clips in your AVCHD media. Choose the clip you're interested in to immediately play it back, quickly trim it to the perfect length, and even share it with others.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Update: Mountain Lion Stability
on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:26:39 pm

Updated 2 imacs. Worked great. 2 Macbook airs, No problems. Older 2008 Macbook Pro, like a charm. 2 Mac Pros - not working. The first mac pro got stuck for two hours at '34 minutes left' with no change. The second got stuck for 2 hours at 1 minute left. Apple support communities suggesting forceing a reboot and they would continue where left off. Edit 2 deleted all user accounts and started up like a new computer, edit 1 is still stuck at 34 minutes after three forced boots. Oddly, edit 1 still sees the applications, just not the users.

If you're on a mac pro, wait.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Update: Mountain Lion Stability
on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:57:02 pm

John-

Did you make a USB boot drive of Mountain Lion?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:09:59 pm

Not yet. We did it the official App Store way. Just another update -I reset PRam on Edit 1, repaired permissions, and voila, it rebooted back into Lion.
We will not be installing anything on this mac until we find out what caused the issue.

The second mac has everything inside it, but the user accounts are just gone. Normally this would be the end of the world, but there are no active projects on this mac. I've had issues with is losing sync on audio for years, so a clean install is probably a great idea. Aside form that, we have dedicated internal time machine backups on each mac pro, so the world isn't ending. Kind of a flub of a launch though.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:19:54 pm

I had one computer hang on a Lion install a whole ago. It was an older machine too.

I had a self made USB installer and it cleared it right up.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Update Part 2: I am impatient
on Jul 29, 2012 at 6:38:23 pm

Turns out I was just seriously impatient. I tried it again Friday and it stuck at 34 minutes (again). The system logs last note was that it was checking volume. It occurred to me that we have a lot of volumes, so I left the office with it still running overnight. Yesterday, voila, there's my new kitty waiting on me. AJA and Blackmagic cards are working great.

It's my fault for being impatient. Apple could maybe rework the algorithm for time left though. It's waaaaay off.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Update Part 2: I am impatient
on Jul 29, 2012 at 7:58:30 pm

Meow.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 25, 2012 at 9:45:12 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "In Mountain Lion, QuickTime Player makes working with AVCHD video easy. A built-in clip browser shows you the video clips in your AVCHD media. Choose the clip you're interested in to immediately play it back, quickly trim it to the perfect length, and even share it with others."

Nice.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:41:36 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "[Jeremy Garchow] "In Mountain Lion, QuickTime Player makes working with AVCHD video easy. A built-in clip browser shows you the video clips in your AVCHD media. Choose the clip you're interested in to immediately play it back, quickly trim it to the perfect length, and even share it with others."

Nice.
"

Just tried this, very handy!

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jul 26, 2012 at 12:43:43 pm

Does Color still work? On a friend's developer preview, the Preview monitor in Color was borked. constant flashing frames whenever he tweaked the colour wheels. If anybody knows, please report back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]