FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere seems to be swimming into deeper waters now...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
Premiere seems to be swimming into deeper waters now...
on Jul 25, 2012 at 12:01:58 am

I couldn't help noticing that the use of Premiere Pro for more serious projects seems to be on the rise lately.

Not too long ago Walter Biscardi talked about a (mostly) positive experience using it to edit a show after Avid had issues with the media he was using, among other things, and he couldn't get the show into Resolve:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/a-cautionary-tale-for-the-fcp-switc...

Then just recently there's now another article on the Cow's front page about the Pursuit Network using it to edit two of their shows:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/one-week-with-premiere-pro

Aside from these higher-end examples, I also noticed that there have recently been more postings on the LA Craigslist page specifically asking for it. Here are several examples:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cwg/3158148823.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/3152726404.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cwg/3150049014.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cpg/3160528211.html

Premiere Pro isn't perfect, of course, and there are still a lot of glaring issues that need to be resolved. But it seems an increasing number of people are deciding that the good outweighs the bad...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Premiere seems to be swimming into deeper waters now...
on Jul 25, 2012 at 2:50:17 pm

If you have decided that Apple software (or hardware) isn't for you right now or in the future, you don't have any allegiance to Avid, and FCS3 is not working for you anymore, Pr is a very logical and good choice.

It kind of feels like FCP Legend and takes little "ramp up" time, and in some cases trumps Legend. There are also performance benefits in the native editing, 64bit editing, accelerated CUDA, Dynamic Link, and Adobe is really serious about making CS a top notch suite.

There's also XML support so that you can go from FCP Legend to Pr fairly easily. Of course, this doesn't work for every situation or project, but the capability is there and will get you pretty close for simpler projects.

It makes perfect sense to me the Pr is a logical successor to the folks that are through with Apple software editing, and I am sure that the CS will only get better as Adobe is very visibly taking notes and making improvements. Personally, I am hoping Speedgrade can get hooked in to Transmit. Also for me personally, there are some workflow considerations that the CS doesn't address for me quite yet, and that's why I am sticking to Legend for now but I am sure Adobe is listening to all of our concerns.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 25, 2012 at 3:31:56 pm

The job listings could also be for experienced PPro folks.
I havent read each one if I was migrating from FCP legacy to PPro, it would make sense to hire experienced users right?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 25, 2012 at 3:52:22 pm

Agreed on the performance benefits. Real-time rocks. I'm also pretty impressed with dynamic link, which can be a big deal for AE-heavy workflows like mine. Now that I've adjusted to Pr, FCP7, for all its enormous flexibility, feels a bit anemic.

Also agreed on the negatives. Pr needs better media management, a proper mezzanine codec, and a few more UI refinements. Bonus points for continuing the suite-wide workflow and integration efforts.

Every NLE on the market today, as well as the notable NLE recently retired, has strengths and weaknesses whose importance varies according to workflow.

Premiere Pro is very deserving of the attention it's receiving.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jul 25, 2012 at 4:08:04 pm

Adobe is absolutely listening. Their product evangelists respond to every email, acknowledge shortcomings (hello, Apple?) and promise improvements. A refreshing experience in the NLE world.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Jul 26, 2012 at 2:54:22 am

Walter Soyka Also agreed on the negatives. Pr needs better media management, a proper mezzanine codec, and a few more UI refinements.

I totally agree there, especially on media management. One of the gripes I noticed people have mentioned with PPro is it's poor handling of sequence imports during collaborative editing. If you put the same footage on two systems, and two people edit different sections of it, and then bring a sequence from one system over to the other and add it to the other project that's using the EXACT SAME MEDIA FILES, Premiere creates a new folder for the new sequence's media, even though it's already being used in the project.

I've participated in a couple feature-length PPro projects a while back where collaboration was involved, and remember this being a bit annoying. If I remember right, it even conforms the audio again for each new sequence that comes in.

But on a positive note, Premiere is being used more now for projects like this, and annoyances like this are getting talked about more, and we know Adobe is paying attention. Based on all that, I think CS6.5 is going to be a great release...

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Jul 27, 2012 at 1:31:00 am

Jeremy, do you know why my speedgrade demo is not showing video in the app? It only shows the video when I click and HOLD the left mouse button down as it plays the timeline. I am using HD 4000 integrated in my Intel i7 3770K CPU. The video looks great when I hold the button down. The audio always works fine. Wish I could demo more of speedgrade. I have tried adobe chat and they know nothing.probably underpaid people in India answering. I asked here and not one moderator on top could even say hello or I don't know.

I keep asking around. I am sure it is probably only one setting somewhere or it just won't work unless I use a dedicated graphics card. Adobe should of at least told me one or the other.
sorry OP for temp hijack of ur thread. Just trying to get someone to reply after waiting a week or more. I expected one of the gurus at the top to say something. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37:15 am

Hi, Gary.

My guess would be no dedicated GPU in your system.

Check out sys requirements here: http://www.adobe.com/products/speedgrade/tech-specs.html

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Jul 27, 2012 at 1:49:21 am

thanx Jeremey, ueah, says dedicated card. funny how it does work when i click and hold. This reminds me of when I couldn't demo Smoke for not having an nVidia. I hope someday they see how Intel has greatly improved their integrated graphics display with HD 4000. The future keeps moving in the direction of having everything smaller and inside one chip. HD 4000 works good and looks very nice to me and I am using 3D animation,ppro, etc.

I lost my mac system a few months back and decided to try and build a new, very high end overclocked pc along with cs6/ppro. Took some getting used to after being on mac.

Gary

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:08:09 am

[Gary Alan] "how it does work when i click and hold."

Perhaps it's forcing a real time preview render? I don't really know.

[Gary Alan] "I lost my mac system a few months back and decided to try and build a new, very high end overclocked pc along with cs6/ppro."

Throw a Cuda capable card and you will be good to go! ;)

Initegrated graphics aren't quite powerful enough yet.

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:20:00 am

yes and no. i get 30 fps with overclocking using hd 4000 by testing with cinebench and only 3rd place score with the render test. Only systems using dual cpu's, 6 cores 12 threads, get higher scores than what i have seen. I get great performance using ppro and ae. i think most people just don't want to try or believe the internal is worthy from poor results ith nthe older hd 3000, 2500 , 2000, and 1000. this hd 4000 is new when the i7, i5 cpu's and ivy bridge came out. I will have to try and get a card like you say and see how much things improve.

Well, nice hearing from you. I have been away from the cow for a few years. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:32:18 am

[Gary Alan] " I have been away from the cow for a few years. :-)"

Welcome back.

The integrated graphics simply don't have the horsepower as a dedicated GPU at this time, but that's not to say they aren't powerful.

Adobe (and Speedgrade pre-acquisition) is centered and optimized around Nvidia/CUDA for now, and have started to venture in to openCL with certain apps/computers: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/opencl-and-premiere-pro-...

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jul 30, 2012 at 5:03:07 pm

I've relied on Premiere since the start of this year (previously fcp for years)
for every new project. Client supervised and not.

Sure there have been a few hickups, but the experience has been good
and not having to transcode anything has been a huge time saver.

Very pleased with 2 installed seats of CS 6 MAC in our shop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]