FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video I/O Vendor Response?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Conlee
Video I/O Vendor Response?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:21:46 pm

Have any of the video I/O vendors weighed in on this development yet? They have to be plenty peeved. A market they spent years planning for and developing for is now potentially gone. No more FCS in the pipeline, and plenty of facilities now looking to switch to something else entirely. Yikes! They have hard earned capital on the line and in the pipeline and Apple just F'd them hard!

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Video I/O Vendor Response?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:29:45 pm

People still need I/O devices, so they should still have the same demand, the difference is what app is using their card.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:32:58 pm

Maybe so, but if FCS pros jump to Avid, even 1 to 3, instead of to Premiere, then that's a huge share of their market gone. Unless Avid gets off their azz and opens up to all the vendors (which, btw, could be happening from the rumors I'm hearing).

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:07:55 am

I think AJA OEM's the board for AVID now, it would be better for the end user to be able to have one card for most NLE apps.

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:31:34 pm

Premiere works with AJA, BMD etc. and this is where a lot of people will go and some very big players like the BBC have already gone last year. AVID is also opening up a bit with more support for AJA and Matrox. Now, if Avid is really clever and if they have learned anything from FCP's success back in the day when they were market leaders they would open up Media Composer to work with all cards from AJA, BMD, etc. in their next release. The money they'd loose from NitrixDX sales would be nothing compared to the thousands and thousands of users streaming over to buy a Media Composer working right out of the box with these cards.
Apart from that, there is nothing really any of these companies can say. It's not a question of updating drivers, the funcionionality to add such hardware simply isn't there in FCP X. Otherwise AJA wouldn't have come up with their current "workaround" using desktop preview.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:43:25 pm

Roger that. I'm sure they're not happy, though. And Apple's typical disdain for the needs of others is not a happy situation. If I was a vendor supporting Apple products it would make me think twice about my capital expenditures in the future.

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:56:10 pm

True, but this, too, is nothing new with Apple. My first video card was an Igniter card from Aurora. It was pci. Then apple moved to pci-x without telling them: they offered to replace the card for a nominal few. One year later Apple moved to pci-e... without telling before and all that time they refused to help them build a FW based IO product because the did just that with AJA and the original IO. Half a year later they were out of business and a very bitter letter from the owners describing how much Apple sucked in their lack of information and support circulated I think even around here back then.
If you talk to smaller companies nowadays building hardware for the Mac (some are here on Cow) is is pretty much the same thing. Quote: "We find these bugs in the OS, we cannot work around them, we report them to Apple over and over again but, as usual, they never even respond".
And the very same thing happened yesterday with the release of a certain piece of software.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:23:13 pm

Blackmagic tell me that FCPX is a completely new product, and they are continuing to work with Apple to develop a solution for it - but they don't have one yet.

Whilst, like everything else with X, it's probably just a matter of time before it gets sorted, it may come too late for a lot of people.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:18:15 pm

I asked a programmer to look into available AVFoundation docs and he said there is no word about video I/O in them. There could be something undocumented in this framework but that prevents third parties from using it just like it wasn't there at all.

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:18:54 pm

Look at what Apple did to the Dual Adapter for we P2 users...just wrote out the code...for no apparent reason that would allow it to mount and killed a perfectly good product in one software update.

Thank goodness I have an old 17" MBK that I keep the old OS on so I can still use mine. Historical disdain for supporters and end users.

Tim Baker

Chameleon Mobile Video Productions

(239)849-3295

"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:02:28 pm

I used Igniter. It was the only way to work with 24 fps footage in FCP and did a very good job. But it was built around Zoran chip that was obsolete even before FCP 1.0 came out. Aurora were nice little company but they milked their cow for too long.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]