FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creative COW podcast on FCPX: Nonsense, disinformation and FUD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Brands
Creative COW podcast on FCPX: Nonsense, disinformation and FUD
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:21:20 pm

Dear COW,

I just listened to the latest podcast titled "Why we can't use FCPX" by two "experts" Rich and Walter and couldn't believe my ears. The amount of nonsense that one of them was spewing almost broke my BS meter.

Not sure which person was talking but one of the guys said that you can't access Mac App Store if you're not in the US. What?!? I've been in Europe for a shoot and used Mac App Store, with US account, almost every day.

Then, the same person said that you must go through the App Store and you can't back up the app. Another blatant disinformation. You can easily backup any app by simply burning it onto a DVD or putting it onto a USB keychain or just zipping it up and putting it into Dropbox. As long as you're logged in into MAS with your username, you can just run the app. I've done it with a ton of apps and it works with FCPX.

Next, the same person claims that FCPX will somehow "blow up your system" if you install it onto production machine. Really? It will mess it up?! Come on. It's just a self-contained app that doesn't modify anything.

I lasted maybe 20 min into this "discussion" before I shut it off. I just couldn't take more nonsense and disinformation.

Shame on you whoever you are for making up so much stuff and passing it off as truth.

Melanie Brands

Adobe & Apple Certified Professional.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Creative COW podcast on FCPX: Nonsense, disinformation and FUD
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:30:42 pm

Whoa, "Melanie Brand" - lighten up! These guys, whatever you think of their opinions, do know quite a a bit about what they're talking about and make a number of interesting points, even though there are so obvious errors which are largely down to how little time they had to assess the app.

But thanks for the tip about the App Store - why did I know that you would know that?!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jacob Goodnight
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:37:25 pm

How do you so harshly blast a podcast that is over an hour and a half long after listening to only 20 mins. of it? Take it easy.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:39:51 pm

[Jacob Goodnight] "How do you so harshly blast a podcast that is over an hour and a half long after listening to only 20 mins. of it? "

I think the clue is in the name of the poster (Melanie Brand) - I could be wrong but I sense that this person might not have the appropriate bona fides!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:40:25 pm

To be fair, I guess the same way so many blast a new piece of complicated software after one day...? Just playing devil's advocate.

Return to posts index

Jacob Goodnight
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:13:55 pm

Good point, and I would be wary of doing so. In reference to the podcast though, it didn't seem to me that these guys blasted the software. They just took a look at it and discussed the "deal breaking" missing features for them in their particular workflows as the software stands today.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:56:20 pm

Thanks for understanding that we had about 8 hours with app. I know I was wrong on blending modes. Walter pointed out right on show. Turns out IMX support there too. As far as app store. Jus going off what's on Apples site and how I understtod Eula.

I am not saying I am 100% right. I never am.

I just find the lack of information disturbing.

Happy to correct any errors I've made. Keep it civil all.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:41:31 pm

Dear Melanie, try kicking Walter and Rich on apple's behalf somewhere else please, it's not going to wash here.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:43:10 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Dear Melanie"

Sorry to correct you Aindreas, but I rather feel that should be spelt "Melanie" ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:58:00 pm

Hmmm, joined today, first day, and Google has never heard of you... of course, I may be looking in the wrong place... I should not be so suspicious. Can you give us some background on your experience with FCP-X so far, Melanie?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:59:31 pm

Such fun - I've never seen a real live shill in the wild before!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Melanie Brands
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:21:22 pm

I'm not kicking them on anyone's behalf. I speak for myself and don't even speak for the small studio that I work at. Please quit implying that my criticism has anything to do with Apple and that I'm on their payroll as you've said. I find that offensive.

Instead, why don't you discuss the nonsense that these two "experts" have been saying. They clearly have no clue about how MAS works or how FCPX works.

Facts are not "opinions". They're either truth or false. Most of what these two gentleman have said is completely false.

If I used you way of arguing, I could say that they're on Adobe/Avid's payroll. See how silly that is?

Melanie Brands
Adobe & Apple Certified Professional

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:25:33 pm

[Melanie Brands] "Most of what these two gentleman have said is completely false."

Dear "Melanie"

If you were a regular visitor to the COW you could not be unaware that these "two gentlemen" are very highly respected members of the FCP community and their opinion, even if flawed at times, is always worth at least listening to.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Melanie Brands
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:54:58 pm

A coworker of mine gave me a podcast. I don't have time to waste on forums and I never visited this forum before today. Not everyone who's into FCP is on this forum, you know.

And I did a bit more research on this esteemed gentleman. Mr Harrington, and he's practically an ADOBE employee. He's constantly tweeting about Adobe and is enamored by Premiere.

So I'd like Mr Harrington to tell us who he really works for because the amount of nonsense and plain hate that he has for Apple products is obvious to anyone who uses FCP etc.

And yes, I'm a real person with no agenda (unlike Mr. Harrington)

Toodeloo,
Melanie Brands

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:26:36 pm

well out of the whole crowd here, you joined today apparently? then you listened to twenty minutes of two well intentioned, professional men with years in the cow running their own facilities on FCP expressing grave concerns we all share, and after twenty minutes of a detailed two hour discussion you turned it off, came on here and trashed them - I call shill.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ted Levy
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:08:37 pm

Exactly what IS an "Adobe & Apple Certified Professional" anyway? LOL Pretty vague.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:20:05 pm

Actually I've been on all 3am payroll at one time. I've been a certified trainer or all 3. Written official books for 2. And designed conferences for NAB with all 3 fairly represented.

Not saying we're 100% right can't be.

Also not saying I won't learn or use app. In fact I'm working on triainng now and you'll find SEVERAL FCP podcasts done by me.

Just saying that the ommissions are a deal breaker.

Before you bash me. Loki up my bio. I'm not perfect. But I'm not blowing smoke either.

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:43:53 am

You don't need to defend post or your podcast, most of us know you know what time it is!

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:56:48 pm

Another poster who joined today.

This is very fishy.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:05:31 pm

[John Chay] "Another poster who joined today.

This is very fishy."

I saw that too.
She is supposedly "Adobe and Apple Certified Professional", but yet we have never heard of her, and she has never found anything previously in the forums worth joining and posting about.
I find that a bit curious.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:11:27 pm

Maybe she is one of the new Creative Cow-X users. They were just rolled out today, and have made previous versions of COW forums obsolete:-)

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:56:21 pm

[Melanie Brands] "I just listened to the latest podcast titled "Why we can't use FCPX" by two "experts" Rich and Walter and couldn't believe my ears. The amount of nonsense that one of them was spewing almost broke my BS meter."

So you think you will walk-in here and insult two of most senior members of the forum & we will say, WOW!

Just in case you have not got the idea from other's post

Get the hell out of here if you & take your expert comments with you.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:06:14 pm

Thank you but let's keep it civil. I built my company on FCP. From my basement to a 10 person shop in 10 years. I lovethe app. Have taught it and evangelized for years. Even wrote several books on it and hundreds of podcasts.

I'm learning it now. Not saying there aren't things I like. Just that there are things missing (or that I can't find) that make it so I can't update the 15+ machines at our facility.

But thank you all for the support. Our intentions were to just raise issues that we felt needing to be addressed. I will continue to offer FCP7, avid 5.5, and CS5.5 to my customers.

At home I'll use cs5.5, iMovie (the original) when I edit with my kids, and even FCPX as I think there are some compelling reasons to use it. But at my shop.. As it stands today... It is unusable if we are to maintain the quality and workflows our customers expect of us.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:18:38 pm

Regardless of who Melanie is and with due respect to Walter and Richard there is some misinformation in their podcast, most likely due to the fact that they have not spent significant time with X. The amount of hysteria that has developed around FCP -X is... hysterical!

NT

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:48:12 pm

As I keep saying. Tell me what's wrong. And cite a source or link I can read with official info. I am HAPPY to retract or corre t any errors. Everyone wanted my opinion. I fully admit I usually wait longer to open my mouth. Just annoyed with all the apologists making version 1 argument. I tried to research. Read app store and software license. Looked up points in documentation. Tested for 8 hours.

I amo not denying I can make mistakes. Not trying o be defensive. Please tell me where I'm wong and point out a way I can verify so I can correct.

Since I come off as a jerk on forums often when I don't intend too. I am being sincere.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 23, 2011 at 1:56:28 am

[Richard Harrington] "As I keep saying. Tell me what's wrong. And cite a source or link I can read with official info. I am HAPPY to retract or corre t any errors. Everyone wanted my opinion. I fully admit I usually wait longer to open my mouth. Just annoyed with all the apologists making version 1 argument. I tried to research. Read app store and software license. Looked up points in documentation. Tested for 8 hours.

I amo not denying I can make mistakes. Not trying o be defensive. Please tell me where I'm wong and point out a way I can verify so I can correct.

Since I come off as a jerk on forums often when I don't intend too. I am being sincere.

"

I can only speak for myself, and I have only listened to about half of the podcast. But from watching a few of your other video things on the podcast you seem like a pretty decent guy and you always seem to just be presenting things as best you know how, and from what i"ve seen in the past and even now, you always seem to be willing to admit when you're wrong about something.

But I've noticed sometimes that walter has a tendency of being right even when he's wrong. over the years I've seen him say stuff as if it were the absolute bottom line truth about something, even when it isn't. Like at the front end of the podcast you said something about having installed it on a machine that already has FCS or something like that....and Walter Is like "whoa, you're a braver fella than I am". THe insinuation is that it's dangerous to do things the way you've done it....as if your machine will explode or self destruct. But really, it's not that dangerous. Apple recommends it be on a differnt partition, but says it will work on the same partition if you install it there. So it's not always just the things that are said, but the way in which they are said.

Furthermore I've noticed that at least one of the assertions walter makes about the software in his article (Final Cut Pro X: What's Missing for Some Pros) is not the whole truth. Weather or not he knew it wasn't the whole truth, only he knows....BUT he still presented it as if it were the absolute truth about the matter.

FWIW, I come across as an a$$ hole in real life and on messgae boards on the internets, but really i'm a nice guy in person.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 26, 2011 at 4:56:17 pm

Thanks for keeping it civil. I have posted more on my COW Blog.

We reacted.... tried our damnedest to be accurate. Neither Walter or I have ulterior motives. We were speaking from the point of view as business owners.

Return to posts index

Annaël Beauchemin
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:18:30 pm

[Melanie Brands] "Not sure which person was talking but one of the guys said that you can't access Mac App Store if you're not in the US. What?!? I've been in Europe for a shoot and used Mac App Store, with US account, almost every day."

Yes, but your credit card is US based.

With my Canadian credit card, for example, I can only use a Canadian iTunes/App Store account.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:52:08 pm

I don't know if yup can access us app store abroad. I was raising questions because the EULA was really long and confusing. And talks about iPhone apps and mac apps and iTunes purchase in same document. Could not find stratiht answers. The bigger point is I want to back up media and installers or when I travel. Not have to boot from a backup drive.

Last trip to IBC I paid $700 for 75 MB or traffic. Yes megabytes.

I can burn my iTunes purchases to disc. Apple even tells me to after each download. Why not software?

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:44:47 am

Didn't South Park do an episode about Apple's confusing EULAs?

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 22, 2011 at 10:32:40 pm

I did a google search - no Melanie Brands anywhere. Maybe 'Brands" stands for 'branding.' ;)

Return to posts index

Erik Freid
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:42:56 pm

I do have to say as standard Ops practice no edit/graphics workstation (anything with client content) should even be hooked up to the internet, so how do you expect to access the app store to begin with? You cannot download the app on one computer, save it to a thumb drive and load it on another. It is not feasible in large professional shops that take security seriously and maintain dozens of edit stations.

Erik

Erik Freid | MediaSilo, Inc
207 South Street | Third Floor | Boston, MA 02111
t. 617.423.6200, m. 617.306.8632, f. 617.507.8577
http://www.mediaSilo.com erik@mediasilo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]