FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX no HD playback and Compressor 4 Quickcluster not working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Halper
FCPX no HD playback and Compressor 4 Quickcluster not working
on Jul 15, 2012 at 7:46:21 pm

I just got a new Retina MBP and installed all my software. Everything is working great except FCPX and Compressor.

In FCPX I can't get HD playback via my Blackmagic Design Intensity Extreme Thunderbolt. The A/V output option in preferences gives only Blackmagic 720x480 @29.97 as an option to select. EDIT: Nevermind. I just discovered you set the playback setting in System Preferences and not within the program. Hopefully this will change to allow the setting to be changed from within FCPX?

In Compressor I cannot get Quickcluster to work with 4.0.4. Go to Share This Computer, turn on Quickcluster with services, then check off Compressor and everything seems fine. Then check off Render and the CPU usage skyrockets and the whole computer becomes nearly unusable. I try to click on Options for Render and Compressor hangs. I have to force quit Compressor to do anything on the computer at all. Restored Compressor 4.0.1 from a backup and everything works.

I tried reinstalling both FCPX and Compressor, but still can't get it to work.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: FCPX no HD playback and Compressor 4 Quickcluster not working
on Jul 16, 2012 at 3:05:34 am

[Mike Halper] "Then check off Render and the CPU usage skyrockets and the whole computer becomes nearly unusable. I try to click on Options for Render and Compressor hangs. I have to force quit Compressor to do anything on the computer at all."

Why are you enabling Render in the cluster settings? That is for Qmaster rendering of stuff like Maya or Shake, it isn't used by FCP to Compressor itself at all.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:55:14 am

Okay, so I won't select Render then. However, regardless of whether or not I should be selecting Render, there's still a problem.

A new install of 4.0.4 and selecting Render causes the whole system to go haywire.

Restoring 4.0.1 and selecting Render works fine. No issues.

Restoring 4.0.1 and then upgrading to 4.0.4 via App Store work fine also. I gave that a shot earlier and it worked. So there appears to potentially be an issue with new installs of Compressor.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 16, 2012 at 3:35:06 pm

[Mike Halper] "Restoring 4.0.1 and then upgrading to 4.0.4 via App Store work fine also. I gave that a shot earlier and it worked. So there appears to potentially be an issue with new installs of Compressor."

My hypothesis (assuming you are on Lion): On Lion, App Store updates come as deltas, not full binary replacements, so there could be a corrupt resource in the full 4.0.4 payload on the App Store that isn't downloaded when updating from 4.0.1. You should file a feedback.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:32:00 am

Okay thanks. I'll do that. Though it looks like it may all be an issue with my Retina MBP which failed the hardware test and turned out to be defective. Apple is sending me a replacement.

Return to posts index

Robinsonshire Von Engrit Fengnnagin
on Aug 16, 2012 at 1:32:48 am

Sorry for your Retina MBP not working but FCPX automatically uses all cores when you send to Compressor, which is why only "This Computer" shows up in the "Cluster:" menu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]