FORUMS: list search recent posts

display card & FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
display card & FCPX
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:39:29 pm

I've read all the display card posts and it appears that MacPro's like mine can benefit from a 5770 or 5870, but it isn't entirely clear whether this will solve my issue.

I have a 2008 MacPro with 16GB ram, Kona K3, and high speed SATA disk array. FCPX runs on it, but I get frequent issues that I'm assuming is the display card. I cannot playback with the scopes turned on. Turning them off seems to correct this. If I have large stills, I get playback issues. All the media is optimized.

I'm happy to get a newer display card, but don't want to put money into an older machine if it won't solve this. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: display card & FCPX
on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:54:42 pm

You can get a 5770 or a new iMac.
FCPX runs terrible on MacPro without a 5770 or 5870.
If you're in doubt. Look for a colleage or friend that has one and test it.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jul 12, 2012 at 6:12:24 pm

I've got a 2008 Mac Pro and I bought a 5770 when FCPX was launched last year.

It all works really well running under Lion with FCPX 10.0.5

However you will be investing in a machine that has already been superseded at least twice.

My next investment is going to be a Retina MBP with the 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB memory. And all the peripheral thunderbolt devices, cables and an external SSD.

This I hope will tied me over until the next Mac Pro is launched next year ( if that happens )

I just think it's important to start moving forward especially with the news that Mountain Lion will not run on some older 64-Bit Macs.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/11/os-x-mountain-lion-officially-drops-sup...

What a game eh?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:27:13 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I just think it's important to start moving forward especially with the news that Mountain Lion will not run on some older 64-Bit Macs."

The root of the 10.8 cutoff seems to be old GPU drivers that run on 32-bit kernel extensions, or "kexts". Mountain Lion is the first OS X version to drop support for 32-bit kexts, so there is no way for the graphics cards in those older otherwise 64-bit Macs to work. But the Mac Pro is also the only Mac you can swap GPUs on, so while a stock 2006 Mac Pro with its factory GPU might not run MoLo, a 2006 Mac Pro with a Radeon 5770 might, since it would be loading the 64-bit kexts for that card upon booting.

A Retina MBP would still outrun it though.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 13, 2012 at 1:01:07 am

I have a 2006 macPro with 5770, esata graid, FCPX, and mx02 mini. It runs ok, even with native h264. But the matrox outputs crackly audio. I solved that by running audio out the system. This system is incapAble of booting into 64bit on kernel on lion and certainly not on m lion. Something to do with the hard wired EFI controller on MBoard.

My main system is an i7 iMac with intensity extreme and it puts the older system to shame.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 13, 2012 at 1:11:58 am

[Bret Williams] "This system is incapAble of booting into 64bit on kernel on lion and certainly not on lion."

Oh yeah, I forgot those can't boot the 64-bit kernel with their 32-bit EFI...

Nevermind.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jul 13, 2012 at 8:51:38 am

So what would happen if you put a proper modern graphics card in your 2006 MacPro, instead of a 2009 fossil? Say - an Nvidia GTX 570? I suppose you would need a driver from somewhere....?

Bernie

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 13, 2012 at 2:56:27 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "So what would happen if you put a proper modern graphics card in your 2006 MacPro, instead of a 2009 fossil? Say - an Nvidia GTX 570? I suppose you would need a driver from somewhere....?"

The 2006 Mac Pro itself is a fossil at this point.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 13, 2012 at 4:22:38 pm

Not to mention that the drivers for the GTX570 are only available for Lion, which can't run on that 2006 Mac Pro.

Again I say, shame on Apple for not doing an E5 Mac Pro!

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 13, 2012 at 6:35:12 pm

I am running lion very easily on the 2006 Mac Pro. Works great.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 13, 2012 at 8:29:16 pm

I thought Lion required 64-bit kernel? Is that new in ML?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 13, 2012 at 9:12:16 pm

Thanks guys for all the answers.

I just put a 5870 in my 2008 8-core and it runs like it's on fire. I have playback at High Quality instead of better performance... I have the A/V output on to drive the Kona 3... and I have the scopes on during playback and it plays flawlessly... no dropped frames.

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jul 14, 2012 at 8:36:53 am

"..... and it runs like it's on fire."

Compared to before, one assumes. Not compared to a 2012 PC with a core i7, a GTX680, and an SSD carrying the operating system. Not that my machinery has all of that very expensive stuff, but I did upgrade various bits earlier this year because my 2008 kit was soooo slow. The SSD is a very good addition.

Bernie

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 15, 2012 at 12:42:50 am

I'd be very interested in somebodies experience with a 5870 upgrade from a 5770. Is it worth it?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jul 15, 2012 at 8:42:37 am

There's a comparison here - http://www.barefeats.com/wst10g7.html

Presumably ATI only keep these 2009 GPUs going for MacPro users.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 17, 2012 at 5:08:53 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "Compared to before, one assumes. Not compared to a 2012 PC with a core i7, a GTX680, and an SSD carrying the operating system. Not that my machinery has all of that very expensive stuff, but I did upgrade various bits earlier this year because my 2008 kit was soooo slow. The SSD is a very good addition."

Well, I can't see how timeline performance could improve much, since it keeps up with all playback at max quality and keeps up with me when I jerk the mouse back and forth on the timeline. There is a point of diminishing returns, at which point going faster doesn't produce results, depending on the function.

Having said that, clearly rendering would be a lot faster on the newer machines, since it's processor driven. Perhaps importing, since I don't know whether that is a processor or GPU activity...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Luc Charbonneau
on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:41:47 pm

Hi,
Not sure if your display is in trouble. Can it be the Kona?

I have a Mac Pro 5.1 (12cores)
2x2.66Ghz
32GB
Radeon 5870
4 HD in Raid 5

Everything run smoothly even with the scope displayed.

For me, with over a 800 clips for one Event, the Event Library is not responsive as I thought it would be. (Thumnail view) But its another topic!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]