FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX still very buggy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Larkin
FCPX still very buggy?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 8:49:05 pm

After a year of testing over several projects, I'm finding FCPX to be not solid day-to-day.

I use it to cut ProRes QTs from direct attached storage on a late 2011 MBP 17". And my system is maintained regularly: Onyx and Disk Warrior are ran monthly.

Overall, the system lags sometimes; I try to key commands or drag the playhead and there is a loss of snappiness (Mind you that my media disks are never asleep). Other times, suddenly certain keyboard shortcuts don't work and I have to restart the program to get those shortcuts back. And yet other times I find strange media placement if I "break apart" a compound clip. Also, I have had random audio glitches happen when I add an EQ setting.

I like the program a lot and have learned to edit with it proficiently over the year. But I'm not happy with a lot of the weirdness I encounter each time I crack it open.

Am I alone on this one?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: FCPX still very buggy?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:39:51 pm

Not at all. I get strange things that happen like if I add a favorite clip and then go into the project timeline and hit spacebar - the favorite still plays in the source thumbnail. I have to select a different clip and shift-f it from the project to get the project to actually play back. This happens maybe once or twice a day.

I have a few odd little quirks like some tracks don't play audio in a compound clip (sometimes) and things like that. We've also found that key wording shortcuts sometimes don't work.

I'll still take these little quirks over "General Error" and "Cannot Save Project", from FCP7.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 11, 2012 at 11:50:41 pm

I'd have to say that 7 has more bugs. Stuff that's annoyed me for 10 years that for some reason they never cared to fix. I'm sure over time X will catch up.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:58:04 am

My experience is that the bugs in FCPX are vastly better than a year ago.

Like John Davidson I still suffer from quite a few though.

[John Davidson] "I get strange things that happen like if I add a favorite clip and then go into the project timeline and hit spacebar - the favorite still plays in the source thumbnail. I have to select a different clip and shift-f it from the project to get the project to actually play back. "

Yes, this also happens to me but overall with the help of Preference Manager and occasionally Force Quit I tend to have a smooth experience now.

From the posts on the cow, bugs seem very machine and operating system defendant, some people are still dealing with weird occurrences and crashes on a regular basis but I think that more experienced users of FCPX adopt preventative behaviour to avoid problems.

I now have 22Gb Ram in my 2008 Quad Core Mac Pro and that seems to have improved matters. It also seems important to run the latest FCPX version under Lion.

Larry, my name is, Jordan has written an excellent blog resume on maintaining performance:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-performance-tips/

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:48:20 am

[John Davidson] "I'll still take these little quirks over "General Error" and "Cannot Save Project", from FCP7."
Indeed. At least of late it doesn't shut down on you at any given time like our recent MC 6.01 option :P

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:08:22 pm

I wouldn't really call it *very* buggy at all. Not in the sense of these being show-stoppers. Still quite a few UI issues, like getting hung up on the source when you want to go back to the timeline. Typically clicking onto something else and then to where you want to go cleans this up. Also a few UI refresh problems. Largely nothing that hangs the machine or causes force quits - at least not on a regular basis. Biggest complaints for me are issues with the XML exports/roundtrips and general poor performance with many third party plug-ins and legacy Apple codecs (such as animation).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:41:39 pm

I get the bug where it plays the event clip instead of the timeline too. Seems pretty universal. I too hit F before I edit it in. I also keep the event on second monitor. I occasionally am able to play the event and the timeline at the same time.

BTW, am I the only one that thinks they should have multiple event windows? They'd all be the same, except each could be looking at different bins/keyword collections.

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
on Jul 12, 2012 at 3:47:14 pm

My takeaway from using FCPX since it debuted -- and yes, I still use FCP7 quite a bit on certain jobs -- is that it is useable if you are willing put up with "randomness" that you might have to investigate.

It's irritating that I might have to undo / redo / rework several editing decisions when X messes with the media on the timeline or just stops functioning in a certain capacity, like when the option + { / } stops rolling a clips handle points suddenly. All the quirks stated on this thread so far happen every time I use the program -- on other machines too.

I hope in another year, it will be able to keep up with a demanding user (and have those improved audio mixing tools and a source viewer as Apple has mentioned).

Thanks for the answers.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:50:56 pm

[Shawn Larkin] "I hope in another year, it will be able to keep up with a demanding user (and have those improved audio mixing tools and a source viewer as Apple has mentioned)."

Hi Shawn! .... so it will gain value as soon as X grows up to become Final Cut Pro 8?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Shawn Larkin
on Jul 12, 2012 at 6:20:21 pm

Hi Joe,

I know you are teasing with your reply. But I think there are a couple things about X which are notable for the future:

1) There are some amazing feats of engineering / programming / design that have gone into FCPX which no other NLE can match -- the way speed retiming / pitch shifting, drawing waveforms and quick range-selection audio editing work are genius. Also the way titles and filters are previewed, applied, and edited and, well, so much of the workflow in X is BETTER than any other NLE out there -- when it actually works.

2) The paradigm shift to having a "magnetic" trackless / ripple-always-on timeline has many tradeoffs from a traditional track-based system and it always will. This is the toughest one for me. I have to constantly rethink how I would want to do something to fit the new paradigm and even though I feel good about "getting around" on the magnetic timeline, it occasionally feels cumbersome because I am forced to manage connected points vs. tracks. Sometimes tracks make complex editorial movements "easier" than than connected clips. And sometimes they make editing much easier.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 15, 2012 at 10:19:37 pm

Sometimes tracks make complex editorial movements "easier" than than connected clips. And sometimes they make editing much easier.

If only all projects were "cuts only" like in the good old days of machine-to-machine, then management would be a no-brainer. One track, no waiting. I do concede that X has some internal mechanisms that are a leap forward - we'd be just as incensed if its reach did not exceed its grasp. This has all been discussed to death. However, just like audio used to be relegated to third world status sucking hind tit behind glamorous video, the real-world requirements for all the deliverables permutations that we are now faced with seem to have been glossed over, and forces some serious workarounds. Texted, textless, seamless, break structure variations, audio hierarchy in all its DolbyE, stereo, stems, surrounds, and have I left anything out yet? Oh yes, the extended versions with snap ins and alternate language/international window elements... but wait there's undoubtedly more, and no, this is no longer just a broadcaster issue, because all distributors want all these things plus, oh, you know, several layers of assignable polylingual subtitles. Not unusual for me to be working in three or four languages now.

It would be amusing to see how long the audio engineers of the world would have taken to line up the offending parties 'against the wall' if the magnetic one-track mind had suggested that they no longer needed multitrack as an operating hierarchy. It would not have gotten out of alpha.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jul 17, 2012 at 5:09:46 pm

[Shawn Larkin] Other times, suddenly certain keyboard shortcuts don't work and I have to restart the program to get those shortcuts back"

That is something that happened to me in the legacy version of FCP all the time. Never in FCPX. Go figure.

Overall FCPX seems less buggy and has fewer crashes in version 10.0.5 than my FCP7 had (especially when I edited long pieces with thumbnails in the bin and waveforms in the timeline-that caused crashes every two hours in FCP6 and 7).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]