FORUMS: list search recent posts

Native OMF export support needed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Native OMF export support needed
on Jul 9, 2012 at 5:02:41 pm

There is currently no reliable way to get an export of OMF. AD broke after the first update. No native support. No direct third party support. Xto7 has had an ongoing battle with the nature of FCP X's XML files. So my translations have been spotty where audio is concerned. Apple really needs to step up to the plate on this one. Either fix the stupid XML files or build in native support. And no, Roles isn't the answer, except as a last resort.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Native OMF export support needed
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:31:55 pm

[Oliver Peters] " No direct third party support."

Oliver...surely you know about X2Pro...

http://www.x2pro.net/

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:33:46 pm

[Shane Ross] "X2Pro..."

That's only AAF. Not OMF.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:36:15 pm

OK. And ProTools works with AAF. Trying to export to another audio app that doesn't have AAF support? Older ProTools (I know those audio guys can be running ancient hardware and software)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:53:17 pm

[Shane Ross] "Older ProTools (I know those audio guys can be running ancient hardware and software)"

Older ProTools version.

But, my bigger point is that by leaving this to third parties to solve, Apple effectively washes their hands of any problems. They simply aren't taking ownership of a problem that's in their court - namely a functional XML interchange. On one hand, they want us to believe they value the pros, but on the other, they don't tackle the pro users' requirements very well.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:01:59 pm

I have long given up the notion that they care about us broadcast pros. They don't include the tools we need to collaborate and get done what needs to be done. By leaving it to third party people, they are washing their hands of us.

And yes...I know Bill will come in and say how many broadcast shows he has done with FCX. Fine, it works for him and a handfull of other people for broadcast stuff. But the high end pros they are touting...LEVERAGE...couldn't do a dang thing with FCX if it weren't for third party support. And it's not like Apple will add this later, like they did with early versions of FCP where we relied on the Duck to export right. They won't do it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:15:35 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Older ProTools version."

Tangential but that points to Avid's problem
(runs and hides now)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:17:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Tangential but that points to Avid's problem
(runs and hides now)"

What? For making an industry-standard product?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:24:39 pm

[Oliver Peters] "What? For making an industry-standard product?"

Many professional users of Avid products don't upgrade. It's just one small part of their current financial situation. A lot of Pro Tools users were outraged at the hardware upgrade costs.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:32:05 pm

[Craig Seeman] "A lot of Pro Tools users ..."

Craig,

There's that word again.

You seem to know a lot of people.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:05:04 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "You seem to know a lot of people."

If I'm wrong then there's not much to worry about as the need for OMF for Pro Tools would be a rare circumstance given recent versions support AAF. Granted Pro Tools isn't the only DAW around.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:25:47 pm

Craig,

The implication is not that you are wrong - it is that you are correct.

A lot of Pro Tools users were outraged at the hardware upgrade costs.

And a lot of Pro Tools users loved the new hardware and software and rushed to upgrade.

Lots and lots.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:29:53 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "And a lot of Pro Tools users loved the new hardware and software and rushed to upgrade.

Lots and lots."

OMF wouldn't be an issue if there weren't a lot who haven't upgraded.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:44:13 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Many professional users of Avid products don't upgrade."

You mean like people sticking with FCP 7 when X is already a year old? ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:53:10 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You mean like people sticking with FCP 7 when X is already a year old? ;-)"

Or people sticking with 6 because 7 wasn't a compelling update.

Of course if you imply (or I infer) that you mean many Avid customers are not happy with recent updates, Avid is down for the count because they probably can't sustain that.

It's possible that Apple felt FCP/FCS reached a point of stasis that they weren't happy in their own cost benefit analysis. They may have felt the only way to grow beyond were they were in this division was to take a few steps back for a bit while they reconnoiter with a very different approach. Adobe may have hit a similar point and talk a very different business model approach to upgrades. I'm sure Adobe didn't want people to stick to older versions of Photoshop or After Effects so they re-examined their business model, upgrade pricing and policy, the concept of leasing rather than buying software.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 9, 2012 at 9:04:45 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Of course if you imply (or I infer) that you mean many Avid customers are not happy with recent updates, Avid is down for the count because they probably can't sustain that."

Huh? I implied no such thing. I think most existing, loyal Avid users are actually reasonably happy with the company's development, but want to see more.

But you're wildly off the point. OMF support is not an Avid or a Pro Tools issue, but rather a DAW-user issue. OMF seems to be preferred by many mixers. Very few can actually open the AAFs generated by X2Pro, even though it's supposed to be a standard AAF.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:25:40 pm

How is that Avid's problem? This is an OLDER version of ProTools. The new ones work fine with AAF. The old ones only did OMF. And the current version of Avid exports older OMF, or newer AAF...thus ensuring compatibility with older versions.

Apple drops old tech before old tech is ready to be retired. NO TAPE CAPTURE? How do they possibly think that no one captures tape, or outputs to tape today? That's how out of touch they are.

They are catering to the DSLR crowd who keep importing and trying to edit the H.264's native and then complaining that it doesn't work...because they don't bother to learn anything about how the NLE works. That crowd is HUGE...the tapeless and direct to web crowd is HUGE...so Apple is now catering to them. Not broadcast professionals. So why broadcast pros continue to try to use an app that isn't designed for their workflow needs is beyond me.

Whatevs

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:46:43 pm

[Shane Ross] "They are catering to the DSLR crowd "

What about my crowd Shane?

Almost every major league sporting event I cover, the footage comes in the door P2 or XD

Shooters trim their stuff up in-cam before it reaches the truck. (we don't have time to mess around)

We do a ton of time-lapse stuff in sports, all on cards. That stuff looks great.

I worked on MLB spots for the ALL-STAR Game this week. All P2 out of Busch

I know some folks need tape, but don't sleep on sports my brother. Big time viewers, big time money.

Melts out the door on TB hard drives and on to the next city.

LIVE TV is high end. It's just done LIVE and fast

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:50:39 pm

Tony, in Shane's defence, this thread is about workflows where OMF matters so other broadcast applications for FCPX like live sport are not really comparative.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jul 10, 2012 at 1:42:38 am

[Michael Gissing] "this thread is about workflows where OMF matters"

The thread is, but I was speaking about his comment on Apple "catering to the DSLR crowd "

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:51:25 pm

[tony west] "What about my crowd Shane?"

Well, I know a guy who does major league sports...grabs footage from the EVS...edits highlights from plays for the throw to commercial, and throw from commercial. He didn't touch tape. And he used FCP 7. True, they are playing with FCX and it seems to work for them. He's sticking wtih FCP 7 when he can though, doesn't like the editing methodology. But he is playing with it, and admits it does go quicker for him.

Tapes are rolling of each sporting event...don't kid yourself. Yeah, the field cameras that aren't feeding live might be rolling P2 or XDCAM, but the LINE CUT...that's getting recorded to tape. Oh, and NFL films, still shoots film. How about that?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jul 10, 2012 at 1:39:44 am

[Shane Ross] "Tapes are rolling of each sporting event...don't kid yourself."

Not to cut with though Shane. Fox still wants to have a backup recoding (not in the truck) for archive but we don't go to the shelf for that to cut.

[Shane Ross] "NFL films, still shoots film. "

I run side by side with them Sundays and I hope they will forever, but doubt they will. I hear you though.

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:06:11 pm

I feel your pain. X2Pro only works with three specific versions of Pro Tools: 8 with Digitranslator, 9 (full product), and 10. That leaves the other 101 audio sequencers out of the picture, including crucial apps such as Logic, Cubase, DP, Nuendo, Sonar, etc. OMF was essentially universal, AAF not so much so, and X2Pro extremely niche.

There's nothing that can be done. Third parties and hackers apparently aren't interested in this aspect of video post-production. X2Pro is all we have. Red Giant just bought Singular Software (Plural Eyes) so who knows where audio is going. Rumors say Logic X is supposed to integrate more with FCPX but that's hearsay and it might not be that good after all.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:30:49 pm

[Lemur Hayop] "Rumors say Logic X is supposed to integrate more with FCPX but that's hearsay and it might not be that good after all."

either way. Try telling a die hard Pro Tools engineer to use Logic instead. LOL

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 9, 2012 at 9:42:59 pm

X2oPro doesn't work for us right now because it embeds the entire audio track of the source, although they've stated they'll add the ability to limit stems/handles in the next version. With 5 different hour long episodes in a single :30, the AAF file would be really bloated. Right now we're assigning roles, making sure elements in roles don't overlap, and then generate role based aif files Our mixer in protools just runs 'strip silence' off each track, and suddenly he's able to slide things around and manage them as needed. Basically we lose handles, but that's rarely an issue for us.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2012 at 9:53:20 pm

X2Pro doesn't do only media in the cut with handles? Does entire clips?

Good lord. How big are the AAFs from LEVERAGE then? If they include the full take of each angle/shot?

Again...things aren't ready for prime time...even audio exports from third parties...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:22:09 pm

It took years for formats like ELs and OMF to mature. When OMF was EOL'd we all breathed a sigh as the format stopped changing and became predictable and robust. AAF is just another variant that we are expected to pay an extra license for, whether it's built into the DAW or third party software.

FCP's native OMF was really important in settling down what had been a crazy format and from FCP3 onwards it just worked. Even AVID seemed to be better once they had EOL'd OMF.

Since there is nothing intrinsically useful in an AAF that isn't already in an OMF, users like me do not want AAFs over OMFs. OMFs give us exactly what we want. Unaltered original audio with handles on a TRACK!

I agree absolutely with Oliver and said it from day one. A year later the fact that OMF from FCPX is still a dodgy workaround and needs third party software only confirms my predictions months ago that relying on third party solutions for fundamental features and facilities was brittle and a cop out. At the time I was howled down. Thankfully the free issue of Automatic Duck means that we can at least go from AVID to FCP7 with relative ease via AAF. So although FCPX means I am seeing more AVID originated shows I still have not had a single FCPX edited show approach me for post finishing.

Until FCPX has a robust level of interchange for both picture and sound I am reverting to my original advice to editors to avoid this NLE for broadcast workflows. I had relaxed and was telling people there was a way to get from X to the real world but if the reports from users in this thread are indicative, I can't in all honesty support this.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:43:29 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Thankfully the free issue of Automatic Duck means that we can at least go from AVID to FCP7 with relative ease via AAF."

FWIW, I'm using the Boris transfer plugins (that use AFF) with a lot of success, though you of course have to pay for those.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:46:25 pm

Yes Chris I have heard the Boris translator was very good. I had already bought and used AD from many years so 'upgrading' to the free final versions was the best path for me.

If you want the Duck tools as well and they are no longer up on the web, I downloaded them all.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 9, 2012 at 11:52:30 pm

[Michael Gissing] "If you want the Duck tools as well and they are no longer up on the web, I downloaded them all.
"

Thanks, man! I may take you up on that. The Boris stuff works amazingly well, though. Its sorta like just as everything got perfect, it all fell apart.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:59:02 am

Chris, Looks like all the Duck software is still freely downloadable

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/download/index.html

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:38:26 am

Apple would really have to pump up Logic Pro X to get anybody excited about it. I think it would have to be fully integrated with FCPX, but that probably won't happen. Logic Pro X is destined for a dumb down. Pro Tools will soon go to 11, with RTAS out-the-door, AAX in, 64 bit, offline bounce, and probably a lot of other stuff. 11 will quell all the other sequencer wannabees. Pro Tools and Reason are my audio apps of choice. I tried a bunch of other stuff, and retired them all. Logic is still on my plate but not for long.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 10, 2012 at 1:21:40 am

[Lemur Hayop] "Apple would really have to pump up Logic Pro X to get anybody excited about it. I think it would have to be fully integrated with FCPX, but that probably won't happen. Logic Pro X is destined for a dumb down. Pro Tools will soon go to 11, with RTAS out-the-door, AAX in, 64 bit, offline bounce, and probably a lot of other stuff. 11 will quell all the other sequencer wannabees. Pro Tools and Reason are my audio apps of choice. I tried a bunch of other stuff, and retired them all. Logic is still on my plate but not for long.
"

Logic already had its dumb down from 7 to 8. Does anyone remember "the enviroment"? Now all thats in the background. I don't see how they could make Logic any more user friendly? Everything is basically done in the background except busses and sends which are still really intuitive. What are they gonna do, get rid of the mixer? Its already pretty streamlined and neat, especially when you look at the competition. The only thing they should do with Logic in Logic X is improve the audio editing. Bring it more inline with Pro Tools in that respect.Other than that, theres not much to do there. Maybe thats why there hasn't been need for a big update in a while.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:56:18 am

[Neil Goodman] "What are they gonna do, get rid of the mixer?"

Neil,

They're working on a way to get rid of those troublesome tracks.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:06:36 am

Sucky situation to be in. Feel free to export an AAF anyways and ask one of your fellow Avid/Protools editors (including me) to convert to OMF for you. Avid or Protools can both do this.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:31:14 am

Daniel, On a recent job the old trick in AVID of dropping the audio onlu into an SD timeline didn't work. The editor was using MC6 and the OMF export was not available with that trick.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 10, 2012 at 12:37:46 am

Hmm, well I can't speak for this other editor or the surrounding circomstances, but I've done this many from working in the animation industry.

That being said, I would have fired up ProTools most likely since it fits the job better.

Edit: Doh, I think you're right about MC6. Well then...protools it is!

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jul 10, 2012 at 11:19:27 am

Quite honestly I don't know if I'd use an audio facility that is still on Pro Tools 6.1 or earlier.
http://www.avid.com/us/products/DigiTranslator
Actually we were using a guy that was several versions behind...He didn't know how to export M&E stems at the same time as the stereo mix (which wastes a lot of time on an hour show), or when a compressor was breathing for that matter either.
All exports from Avid we do are AAF these days as it contains the RTAS plugin information - it's nice for the sound mixer to get an approximation on reverbs etc or at least know they should be there if the producer misses it.
I'm sure X2Pro will get there in the end with regards to handles etc. I'd rather Apple not rise the price of OMF licensing which I'd assume would be around 200 dollars on FCPX. (Gee remember it cost 2 grand on M100?)
I'm hoping there will be busses on the new 'roles' mixer - as all I need to do on some line record programmes is slap a compressor/limiter on the master to make sure the audio is legalised.
Why not just buy Xto7 and export to FCP7 and export the OMF from there?

Jon

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:06:31 pm

Perhaps this is relevant or not, X2Pro v2 feature list announced. Coming in "August".

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=480c02edc83b008592a0592f6&id=864e6d96d0...

For my purposes, getting an FCPXML to FCPXML friendly programs (such as red cine x pro) is easier than try to get an XML of all native content from Pr to other programs via XML.

Walter Biscardi has blogged about Avid difficulties when using AMA (I know, it's AMA).

All the audio mixers I've spoken with are just fine with AAF. OMF does seem to work in Premiere, AAF is trickier.

So while X needs a bunch of work, it's already working for certain and specific workflows/applications.

Resolve, RCXPro, Autodesk Smoke 2013 are included in that list. Rcxpro allows translation to other interchange formats as well. I'm not saying it's perfect.

I wish someone would build a conform tool for all formats that works like rcxpro, but it must not be worth it or we'd have it already.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:25:21 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So while X needs a bunch of work, it's already working for certain and specific workflows/applications. "

That's all well and good, but I have yet to get a sequence from X into 7 without the audio having issues or other random clips come up missing. For example, audio that's missing from a clip and randomly placed 11 hours down on the timeline. And yes the folks at IA are aware and have been trying hard to fix the issue.

The bottom line is the XML from FCPX. I have yet to hear from a single developer who likes it or thinks it's good. My suspicion is the timeline design is the culprit, since clips are no longer locked into a direct relationship with a fixed time ruler. Rather, they are linked to each other. Regardless of whether you want OMF or AAF, it still gets back to Apple supplying the developer with a substandard, non-standardized starting point, which is far from mature and still keeps changing.

As far as working well with Resolve, I've had issues with those round tripped projects, as well.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2012 at 5:31:03 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The bottom line is the XML from FCPX. I have yet to hear from a single developer who likes it or thinks it's good. My suspicion is the timeline design is the culprit, since clips are no longer locked into a direct relationship with a fixed time ruler. Rather, they are linked to each other. Regardless of whether you want OMF or AAF, it still gets back to Apple supplying the developer with a substandard, non-standardized starting point, which is far from mature and still keeps changing.

As far as working well with Resolve, I've had issues with those round tripped projects, as well."

I understand. It's not perfect. It's the reason I have stuck to FCP7 for paying gigs.

FCP7 XML didn't start out perfect either. It took a little while, and it took a lot of developer insight and help. For v1.1, FCPXML is just OK at this point, but it's v1.1.

And

There isn't another workflow that is perfect out there. Sure there are better working ones with other NLEs, and they have more capability (such as EDL) but there are still road blocks and hoops to jump through, and these are much more mature applications.

The developers I have talked to don't like FCPXML either. Along with everything else, it's just way different than the XML of old.

Plus, it simply frustrating when this stuff doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 10, 2012 at 5:34:26 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " and they have more capability (such as EDL) "

Someone at ProApps engineering just threw up in their mouth. ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2012 at 5:40:33 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Someone at ProApps engineering just threw up in their mouth. ;-)"

Yes, yes they did. I don't know what ever happened to these guys: http://www.xmil.biz/

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 10, 2012 at 6:01:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't know what ever happened to these guys"

I believe it's still in development.

I recently went through the exercise of trying to get a number of developers interested in producing a utility that would take an XML or EDL and relink to new media that had been renamed and trimmed by the render output of a grading app. Relinking would be based solely on reel ID and TC (ignoring the name). Everyone - except one - felt the market was small and not worth the effort. Most said it couldn't be done.

One said that too, but hacked around until he came up with a workable solution. Still in a rough beta and may never become commercial, but ultimately some of these things are such a small market, that only personal curiosity drives the development. EDLs fall into that category.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:15:46 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I recently went through the exercise of trying to get a number of developers interested in producing a utility that would take an XML or EDL and relink to new media that had been renamed and trimmed by the render output of a grading app. Relinking would be based solely on reel ID and TC (ignoring the name). Everyone - except one - felt the market was small and not worth the effort. Most said it couldn't be done. "

What I like about RCX, and I know it's specialized, is not just the color correction and color metadata control. There's plenty of ways to grade a raw signal, even Color will accept Epic R3D now (thanks to Red).

What I like most about it, is that it's a transcode and interchange powerhouse, you can also import and EDL and spit out an XML, or vice versa, you can from one place to another, and you can do it with the raw media, or transcoded media, and you can even sync audio in a batch. You can send timelines, you can send bins, and can spit out both of those, you can even do very rudimentary editing. This "holy grail" is certainly what Premiere is missing.

It would allow trimming/consolidate, XML, EDL, OMF, AFF, whatever. You could sync audio, you could make tc window burns, you could edit metadata, assign reels, you could even standardize around a frame size and frame rate. It would have to accept a giant number of camera native formats and be able to make sense of all of that, and it would also need to somehow keep track of it all so that if you ever DO need to go back to the cam original for whatever reason, it's not a painful journey.

We'll call it, "Glorious".

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matthew Lyons
on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:40:04 am

Jeremy you speak perfect sense. FCPX has some issues to work out but so do all the other NLE's. I'm learning Premiere, Media Composer, Smoke, and Lightworks but the one that has me editing the fastest is FCPX so I keep coming back to it, and it's a 1.0.x release!! Metadata, roles, trackless timelines etc., it's going to take some time for developers to adjust but I'm willing to bet that they will catch up. X2Pro does say AAF media handles are coming in August and Apple has announced audio enhancements coming this summer. I think taking the chance and completely rewriting the NLE was a good idea.

instant gratification needs a new publicist

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 11, 2012 at 11:46:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't know what ever happened to these guys"

I believe it's still in development."

EDL-X is done, and waiting for app store approval. It works really well. ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 11, 2012 at 11:51:07 pm

[Charlie Austin] "EDL-X is done, and waiting for app store approval. It works really well. ;-)"

What's the workflow?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:01:48 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Charlie Austin] "EDL-X is done, and waiting for app store approval. It works really well. ;-)"

What's the workflow?"

export fcpxml, open in EDL-X, edit source tables if needed (awesome feature BTW!), choose audio, video or both, save EDL's. EZ :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:06:08 am

Do they have an OMF button?

;)

What about consolidate? Will it copy the media somewhere for you?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:15:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Do they have an OMF button?

;)

What about consolidate? Will it copy the media somewhere for you?"

Yes, it has an OMF button. It also demagnetizes and puts discrete tracks back into the FCP X timeline :-D

... It just makes EDL's, no consolidation. But the EDL's work just fine. And being able to edit the source table is a nice thing to have when 8 out of 10 of your sources had no reel numbers logged to the file and are all ID'd as 001. Don't ask me how I know.

But I've said too much. ;-) Keep an eye on the app store, hopefully it will appear soon...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:39:53 am

Thanks, Charlie.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:59:12 am

How many FCPX software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

None.......

Sorry you need to buy a third party app for that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]