FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: What we have really lost with FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Dobson
Re: What we have really lost with FCP 7
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:06:26 am

[Bill Davis] "I've don't feel as if I've "lost" anything. I had a great tool for 12 years. It's still on my machine if I need it, but I actually haven't opened it in more than 8 months now except for one instance 30 days ago where I had to open an old edit to 7toX it.

Now I have another great tool.

X has freed me to work in more places, more quickly and is superb for creating, modifying and distributing short, punchy video files electronically."

I totally agree with you Bill.

And for me I don't recall my time with FCP being that pleasant.

It was an unforgiving piece of software if you got things wrong. To edit fluently with it required a lot of training and technical ability. For the work that I do it was vastly over complex.

I have no desire to return to editing with it and after a year have probably forgotten all my keyboard shortcuts.

Whether people like or dislike FCPX it is undoubtably a lot easier for both experienced and new editors to use.

Whilst I acknowledge that production houses will encounter severe limitations with FCPX in terms of its inter-connectivity and output options, Apple have really improved the reliability and stability of FCPX over the last 12months.

[Will Hodgson] "What we have lost is our collective experience. 13 years of insights and experiments, battle hardened in real world scenarios around the world. And with no obvious heir to the Final Cut throne, it will be a long journey indeed until we have rebuilt our shared knowledge."

I can't really see that that experience is lost. Surely the huge advances in file based editing over the last few years have freed the editor up to get on with what's at the heart of the job, creating stories.

I'm just remembering the pain of digitising location tapes.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]