FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple / Video Monitoring (without I/O device)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Apple / Video Monitoring (without I/O device)
on Jul 5, 2012 at 2:28:30 pm

Good reference article outlining current issues with Apple and video monitoring (of the non-i/o device variety) - it's framed in terms of the HP DreamColor monitors but outlines several issues with Apple hardware / software:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/hp_dreamcolor_mac_conn...

(for example, I had no idea that Apple had switched from RGB to YUV for display output, nor the implications of that)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Apple / Video Monitoring (without I/O device)
on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:39:43 pm

Thanks so much for posting this.

I have a Dreamcolor and I had no idea the software was updated for Mac. This is great news.

I do use an HDP2, so it's not as important, but this is interesting info none-the-less.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:41:58 pm

All I might be able to add would be "Holy work-around, batman!".

Never fails to amaze me what lengths individuals will go to in order to avoid the obvious.... you know, what the manufacturer recommends and has tested.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 5, 2012 at 3:57:29 pm

[Joseph Owens] "Never fails to amaze me what lengths individuals will go to in order to avoid the obvious.... you know, what the manufacturer recommends and has tested."

Yes. That's why I have the HDP2 as I know it works (and it's easy, and I can send whatever signal I want to the monitor and I know the DreamColor engine is still alive).

It will be interesting to see if it works with the Retina HDMI (I mean, then I could have a real live Speedgrade output that wouldn't cost me an Nvidia card plus a $5k SDI daughter card that I will never use for anything else).

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19:32 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "a real live Speedgrade output that wouldn't cost me an Nvidia card plus a $5k SDI daughter card that I will never use for anything else"

Have you noticed that the Speedgrade forum is at least as moribund as the Apple COLOR one?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:57:14 pm

[Joseph Owens] "Have you noticed that the Speedgrade forum is at least as moribund as the Apple COLOR one?"

You think it's dying, or maybe it's just too young?

It's a brand new application for most of us. I think that it probably won't be fully utilized until it stretches beyond the specialized workflows it supports now (EDL/DPX/Very Expensive Video Out *VEVO*).

I don't know where the forum hotbed of color grading activity is, probably Resolve.

If Speedgrade could be hooked in to Adobe's Dynamic Link system, and also to their Transmit video out system, it could be a very powerful tool.

Have you taken a look at it yet, or is it not even a contender at this point?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]