Adobe Photoshop CS6 on 2010 MacPro and various Mac laptops - Barefeats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Adobe Photoshop CS6 on 2010 MacPro and various Mac laptops - Barefeats
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:02:21 am

SHOOTOUT: Adobe Photoshop CS6 on various 2012 and 2011 Apple Laptops
http://barefeats.com/mbp12cp.html

Note how the 2010 MacPro is fastest in all the tests.
Note how the 2012 2.7GHz MPBr with 16GB RAM was trounced by the MP with Iris Blur and didn't do well with Liquify either. Note how much better the 2011 MBP does.
So is the souped up MBPr really the ideal tool for photographers?

Note his comment
The one puzzling behavior was the Retina MacBook Pro. Unlike the other MacBook Pros, "Use OpenCL" is grayed out in Performance preferences. Adobe and NVIDIA are looking into the issue.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: Adobe Photoshop CS6 on 2010 MacPro and various Mac laptops - Barefeats
on Jun 25, 2012 at 12:56:07 pm

Likely this will be addressed very quickly since it appears the discrete GPU was not used. Interesting results then showing the Intel 4000 integrated graphics' performance. Until then the benchmark is useful to explain why the MacBook Pro Retina may be underperforming in some operations with CS6.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 25, 2012 at 1:08:25 pm

[Rick Lang] "Until then the benchmark is useful to explain why the MacBook Pro Retina may be underperforming in some operations with CS6."

It's conceivable it could be impacting other programs as well. I'm sure Apple wrote for it but people might be using other graphics or effects packages that may be underperforming as well.

It's also clear the issue is specific to MBPr since the non r MBPs don't have the issue. It's something about managing access to the GPU and it's involvement with the display it would seem.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:45:01 pm

Craig:
"It's also clear the issue is specific to MBPr since the non r MBPs don't have the issue. It's something about managing access to the GPU and it's involvement with the display it would seem."

I would think it may be related to the current release that isn't specifically 'retina ready' since I can understand that Adobe may not have done much with their video products yet as possibly they were concentrating on having a version of Photoshop that was ready for the new Macbook Pro Retina first. All should be well when the retina-ready versions of CS6 are released.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:18:05 pm

I was originally thinking that Adobe Retina support was just around display resolution. These aren't display related issues. There appears to be more to Retina than meets the eye.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:05:19 am

Craig:
"There appears to be more to Retina than meets the eye."

There an 'Extremely Detailed Review of the rMBP that Andrew Richards posted recently in this forum. It's AnandTech's opus on the new machine with some revelations about the magic that Apple performed to pull this rabbit out of the hat. It's understandable that there may be the occasional update to get it all right. To make a long story short Apple has coded aspects of the machine that result in their unique approach to impenentling such a high resolution physical screen. It's far more complicated than the coding to support the retina screen on the iPhone and the iPad. Some day when you can take some time off, you might peruse that review if you haven't seen it.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]