FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need answers with 5d mark lll and fcpx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Lance
Need answers with 5d mark lll and fcpx
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:24:10 am

I am a beginner and really need some advice.
I am going to shoot a 2 hour 45 minute video of a play on a 5dmark lll
here are the questions
1) can I shoot at 1080, edit on fcpx and output it in 1080 hd on one dvd? Two dvds? or is it to long for any dvd format?
2) If I export it as avchd can it fit on dvd? or is it too long? Maybe this question is the same as #1
3) Should I shoot the video at 720? On the 5dmark lll the choices for frame rate at 720 is 50 or 60.
I would like to thank you in advance. I have searched for hours and cannot seem to get an answer.

Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
Re: Need answers with 5d mark lll and fcpx
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:43:33 am

1080 is high def and DVD is strictly standard def. And DVD doesn't do AVCHD either. It'll need to be converted once you've finished editing. 165 minutes is a lot to squeeze onto a DVD but it can be done if you don't mind you're image getting pretty compressed. Compressor or a similar program will have settings for best exporting whatever your file size is to DVD.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Lance
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:08:57 am

how can I get HD to the end user? Blu ray?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:08:33 am

Do they just want files for editing or compression?
You can burn the to a Blu-Ray data discs which holds 25GB each. You may need a few discs 25GB discs or maybe 50GB disc.
FCPX should be able to "share" to a Blu-ray disc as a simple screener.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:00:31 am

Bluray or Filebased

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:14:36 am

Can you shoot video for that long on a 5D these days ...?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:55:29 am

The mk III with file spanning can shoot for 30 mins max. Not the right camera for shooting a play. Short shots, shallow depth of field, awkward viewfinder angle.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 25, 2012 at 1:32:02 pm

John:
"I have searched for hours and cannot seem to get an answer."

Can you do a test where you shoot some moving subjects and verify if you can be successful? If the play has no intermissions or scene breaks, your camera may be the wrong choice for the job as it will stop continuous recording at 29' 59". And if DVD is the only delivery medium, it's really best for durations between one and two hours for good quality. Hopefully you can rent a camera that can record SD rather than HD and record continuously for three hours.

When I have recorded long events on tape, there's always been an opportunity to swap in a new tape every hour but you may not have that opportunity unless you know there is time between acts to do it. If you use tapeless recording, you are going to have a problem with the file size limits you can record continuously. Your camera manual will describe those recording limits (29' 59").

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jonathan Lance
on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:40:16 pm

Thank you all for your help. I own one 5d mark iii and have access to another one, so I plan on having a two camera shoot. That way I can cover the camera that needs to be restarted. I have done some trial runs and it works rather well. There is no problem with over heating. There is also an intermission that will allow us to change cards etc.

My main problem is what to shoot the video in. With the video about 165 min. my choices are limited. Here are my 5d mark lll choices of format
1) 1920 x 1080 24 and 30 frames
2) 1280 x 720 60 frames
3) 640 x 480 30 frames

I need to deliver the product on a dvd/bluray disk.

I do not want to us 640 x 480.

Can I shoot in 1920 x 1080 and deliver that or is it better to convert to 720?
Should I shoot in 720 (1280 x 720) 60 frames and how would that work at normal speed.

Sorry I am very confused and would take any suggestions you all may have.
Thanks
John

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:38:23 pm

Having two identical cameras available with an adequate number of recording cards makes a difference to the feasibility of using the 5D Mark III. It may not be the best camera for the job as others have noted but if you're determined to go with the 5D, then you can at least manage the recording time limitations. I would run both cameras but delay the start of the second camera about 15 minutes so you'll be assured that you have time to load a new card into camera A while camera B is still rolling. And so on... May take a few cards but you can run a test to calculate how many cards you need depending upon the size of the card. You may find that information on the Internet as well if no one here tells you.

Of course the size of the recording space also depends upon the rate you record. I'd go with the highest quality recording and certainly use 1920x1080 24 fps and possibly the ciné mode to do some grading in-camera if you like. Or you can grade it in FCPX or with BlackMagic Design's Resolve Lite if you like.

Do you have a Blu-Ray drive on your Mac and drivers? Do you have Blu-Ray authoring software so your Blu-Ray movie will have all the movie professional-looking bells and whistles? You should be fine as long as you know your client!s requirements and they are met by Blu-Ray. DVDs are not the way to go if the client will accept Blu-Ray.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jonathan Lance
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:57:47 pm

Thank you Rick for all your help.
I don't have any bluray equipment or software at this point. What do you think of converting 1080 24 into 720 24? or is it just better to shoot it in 720 60 frames? will it fit onto a dual layer dvd?
thanks
John

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:21:44 pm

[Jonathan Lance] "What do you think of converting 1080 24 into 720 24? or is it just better to shoot it in 720 60 frames? will it fit onto a dual layer dvd?"

You bring up DVD again. It's already been stated DVD doesn't support HD. If you're just storing files as data I mentioned Blu-ray as data disc. If you're just burning a screener FCPX can do that now as long as you attach a Blu-ray burner.

You really need to explain whether you need a Data disc or a Video disc. Basically questions regarding both of those have already been posted.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:35:46 am

Jonathan:
"What do you think of converting 1080 24 into 720 24? or is it just better to shoot it in 720 60 frames? will it fit onto a dual layer dvd?"

I would shoot in the highest quality the camera supports, (1920x1080, 24 fps) even if you eventually will only be producing DVD (720x480). You'll get better results through edits and grades. It sounds like you've given up on producing Blu-Ray although that would produce the best results. Still if DVD satisfies the client, you can do that. As for the dual layer, can your client handle it or will they expect a conventional DVD to pop into the typical player and select a movie from a menu? Not all players can handle dual layer DVD.

As for size, the process of creating the DVD, includes the logic to squeeze your footage into the available space on a single layer DVD. Not sure if it can handle nearly three hours of video but it might. One or lwo hour, yes. You can test this by going through the process using a test of any scene with some motion. Just keep shooting traffic at a modest distance for example for 20 minutes (and add the clip 8 times in FCPX's timeline to get 2.75 hours) of H.264/mpeg-4 video (full HD), then quickly edit it into one FCPX project and then create your DVD and look at the results (hopefully with the client) so you can watch it on a HDTV and decide well before the theatrical event if this is what they want. If you're not happy with the quality, ask if they'll consider Blu-Ray. Does this help? Any other opinions from anyone most welcome?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:49:51 pm

Hey Lance,

Two things.

You really would do better asking this on the FCPX Techniques forum (this is a philosophical forum...not that people don't also work around here.)

Most importantly - you simply need to tell us how people are going to view your work and why you're distributing it.

DVD is not an option, but there are options. But first you have to be clear about how you expect people to view your work.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:47:43 pm

Jonathan,

You're in for a world of hurt, my friend. However many full and dress rehearsals they run of the play, record them all. And, assuming they are running this for more than one show, start at the first show and record them all until you get it right. You will need the practice and you'll find out quickly the limitations of doing this with 5Ds, and how to compensate. Be humble.

(BTW, I don't blame you for coming here, since people actually respond on this forum. Just don't tell anyone.)

As far as DVD vs Blu-ray... Figure this out NOW! With the amount of money you'll spend on Bluray equipment, etc., make sure it has to be high definition. Because if it doesn't, save your money and rent a tape based camera to film this in that will have the longer record times. It will make the recording process about 100 times easier.

As far as delivering this, either on DVD or Blu-ray, remember FCPX cannot create typical disc menus. It's extremely limited and, if you ask me, most unprofessional.

If you're sticking with the 5D, get online and research your brains out on DSLR filmmaking. (Start with learningdslrvideo.com and go to the beginning of Dave's posts. He also links to other resources.) Again, be humble. If you're truly a beginner, you've got a LOT to learn about what that camera can do. You can easily mess things up if you're not prepared.

Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Viktor Kamenický
on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:05:16 pm

My advice is to get a camera. If it is a play, where the actors do have mics on them it will be much more easier to get a long XLR cable and stick it in your camera. You dont have to worry about the sound. (in most scenarios). Sound is (in my opinion) important in a play. I dont think a standard 5D mkIII will give you the best sound.

So to sum up. Get a camera.

"You never want to get to get a call from the editing room"
Art Adams

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]