http://www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html

Speculate away....

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: What will Apple say....
on Jun 24, 2012 at 2:05:43 pm

Nothing that isn't already available here?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 24, 2012 at 3:16:05 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Nothing that isn't already available here?

This was obviously a loooong time ago, but I toured Boris RED 3 at the same time Apple toured FCP 3, and we were at a number of user groups together, including the user group formerly known as LAFCPUG.

Needless to say, I blew them off the stage (LOL), but it really was just a demo. Asking about anything outside the demo was met with a good-natured "Next question!" Laughter abounded. Maybe so this time, maybe not...

...but in fact, the FCPX team has been much more forthcoming about features yet to be released than ever before. To their credit, they're being more forthcoming than any company I've ever seen. Be fair - have you ever seen ANYONE talking about features that will be rolling in over the next year? No, because they don't do that. Any previous Apple would have ignored the outrage until waving a hand with some ridiculous non-acknowledgement (it's not our fault! everybody does it! put some duct tape on the corner!), and then not actually doing anything for another year, a la iPhone 4, which had a lot more outrage from a lot more people, with a product that was at the core of Apple's business.

Anyway, while it COULD have some future-y stuff, my guess is that they'll be showing insane pro-grade performance on the new rMBP (their putative words, not necessarily mine). That's more than enough reason to take to the highway.

But I think that even a demo tour is a good idea. Show people some intended use cases, give some more specific insights into its advantages. Even if it doesn't make anybody feel any better about FCPX for themselves, the first anniversary tour is good time to take their case to The People, with a shiny new machine to back it up.

Don't expect anything about the Mac Pro. Be nice.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2012 at 3:58:42 pm

Apple is doing a number of these appearances now. It seems what I saw at the Blackmagic show in NYC was more or less the start of a return to public appearances about FCPX for Apple. I've heard other reports. I've also heard that Apple is not permitting these events to be recorded so there's no documentation of any new information being discussed. At least Apple is back to direct user group contact. I suspect they were disturbed that the biggest FCP User Groups have abandoned being FCP specific and, in fact, many barely touch on FCPX. In any case, I'm glad Apple is paying attention. I suspect they don't want the presentations being picked on online.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 24, 2012 at 4:40:44 pm

They deserve to be picked on, and I mean that in friendliest way possible.

Chide is a better term, perhaps.

I'm glad they are out in the world. See the look on people's faces, shake a hand, hear a horror story, share a laugh, take criticism, and also take the praise from the less embittered.

I hope it's a good demo. I have read over and over about people who looks at it for three seconds and decide it's not for them. Fair enough.

Good artists copy, great artists steal. Put the politics down, study and have a good look at some of the things FCPX does well, then go fill out some request forms to your other favorite NLE companies.

It's time to start making things better, which might be different from bigger and faster.

It would be nice if Apple would put on a pasty and tease a glimpse of what they are working on, but we should probably be more realistic. It's a family show, after all.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2012 at 5:18:25 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "They deserve to be picked on, and I mean that in friendliest way possible.

Chide is a better term, perhaps."

I suspect they are afraid of "misstatements" or wordings that are misinterpreted and spread like wild fire virally. Whether that fear is justified is another story.

I don't know how they're handling user groups yet but at the BMD roadshow the presenter was a table afterwords talking to people directly and answering questions. They BADLY need to do more of that.

Even if content can't be posted directly I'd love to hear from Michael Horton and friends on their evaluation of the presentation.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:50:14 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Even if content can't be posted directly I'd love to hear from Michael Horton and friends on their evaluation of the presentation.
"

I'm sure there will be no shortage of comments afterwards

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 25, 2012 at 10:47:14 am

Hey Craig,

you said Apple answered more direct questions at that Black Magic show.
Could you offer an insight to what was asked and what the answers were?

Very curious to see the presentations of Apple (or hear about it, I don't live in the US) and I hope they show some of their future features (how they enabled R3D support for instance) and are being straight up to where it's going with FCP X and at least give some information on what's coming.

They have been a lot more forthcoming with FCP X then in general or in their history, and I think they realized they just HAD to. I'm happy they are, and I expect more of it in the future.

I know I mailed Tim Cook once about the future of FCP X. If they would focus on the prosumers or if they were really taking in the feedback of professionals to make it better.
I got a response from someone of the FCP X team a day or so later, that they were absolutely committed to the professional in making FCP X better.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:07:53 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "you said Apple answered more direct questions at that Black Magic show.
Could you offer an insight to what was asked and what the answers were?
"

I didn't pay close attention to Apple's table. I don't think there were any surprises though or we'd be hearing the buzz. I'd also note that non of the appearances they've made since generated much online conversation. Doing these presentations does reflect a change in how Apple is communicating though.

What impressed me most is that during the presentation they said that the information they revealed in the one on conversations (to Larry Jordan, et al), is official from Apple. I expect Apple will know be speaking to "us" more directly rather than intermediaries. Many feel it's been off putting that they communicate through Jordan or Pogue rather than more direct means. I think how Apple jumped in quickly to clarify the MacPro issue to be indicative of their attempts to change that communication. It's very much a "work in progress" but it is progress. I think they realize their marketing to the "pro" community has be fairly disastrous.

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "I got a response from someone of the FCP X team a day or so later, that they were absolutely committed to the professional in making FCP X better."

They are hammering away at that. I think they're serious about it. They are going about it in "their own way" but all the bits and pieces indicate that they will be heading FCPX into a facility level product. I suspect that will play out from the release of Mountain Lion and FCPX updates through the 2013 MacPro replacement. Obviously it will be Apple's idea of a facility tool, which may not be what some people expect, but I suspect by the end of next year the bulk of the puzzle will be in place.

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:02:33 pm

Why don't they just send Franz another email?

Honestly, isn't this getting a little sad, or perhaps comical? I can't decide which organization Apple resembles more, the Vatican, or the Kremlin. The amount of interpretation, parsing of statements, and speculation devoted to their intentions is remarkable. No video? Just what will be said at this meeting that is so freaking sensitive or potentially threatening to Apple Inc?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]