FORUMS: list search recent posts

Don't diss the Surface too badly if you want a powerful state-of-the-art new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
Don't diss the Surface too badly if you want a powerful state-of-the-art new Mac Pro
on Jun 23, 2012 at 9:03:29 am

The way I see it, it's the runaway success of the iPad that's most responsible for Apple's near indifference toward the Mac Pro and the high-end creative pros who use it. So, if you want Apple to pay more attention to the FCPX editors and others who want a state-of-the-art Mac Pro sooner than a year from now, here's what you do: When you talk to people about the Surface and other Windows tablets, tell them about the good points instead of criticizing it because it runs Windows and joking about how long it took for Microsoft to catch up. If the iPad gets torched by the Windows tablets, it will light a fire under Apple and force them to re-think their strategy a bit. They would have to give some serious thought to putting some sort of backup plan in place should the iToys gravy train get derailed- then maybe they'd re-visit the high-end professional sector that kept them going before they got distracted...

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Don't diss the Surface too badly if you want a powerful state-of-the-art new Mac Pro
on Jun 23, 2012 at 3:28:13 pm

[Greg Andonian] "If the iPad gets torched by the Windows tablets, it will light a fire under Apple and force them to re-think their strategy a bit. They would have to give some serious thought to putting some sort of backup plan in place should the iToys gravy train get derailed- then maybe they'd re-visit the high-end professional sector that kept them going before they got distracted..."

Competition is good, but if Apple starts to slip in its iDevice market, it isn't going to find financial solace in the pro tower market to make up for it. It just isn't a big enough market. Apple is selling far more Macs now than ever in it history (and that's mostly laptops), and they are still only a small fraction of their overall revenues which are utterly dominated by the iPhone and iPad.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Don't diss the Surface too badly if you want a powerful state-of-the-art new Mac Pro
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:50:09 pm

[Andrew Richards] "Apple is selling far more Macs now than ever in it history (and that's mostly laptops), and they are still only a small fraction of their overall revenues which are utterly dominated by the iPhone and iPad."

A misconception in there? I think there's some confusion over unit sales vs revenue but these Apple April 2012 quarterly report show iPad and Mac revenue as very close. iPhone sales are many fold higher.

So when it comes to tablets specifically improving Mac sales may be an important offset if Apple losses some iPad sales to the Surface.

One may well say that Apple is very heavily dependent on iPhone sales and that would be their point of vulnerability.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 24, 2012 at 2:28:32 am

[Craig Seeman] " I think there's some confusion over unit sales vs revenue but these Apple April 2012 quarterly report show iPad and Mac revenue as very close. iPhone sales are many fold higher."

I was lumping the iPad and the iPhone together since they share so many common components and a common OS. Nonetheless, you make a good point- it's the iPhone that skews the scale and the Mac is holding its own.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 23, 2012 at 4:22:09 pm

[Greg Andonian] " If the iPad gets torched by the Windows tablets"

There really isn't a chance this will happen, sure it will take market share from Apple, but I'm sure they already planned for a drop in market share when the Android tabs arrived and they barely made a dent.

I also find it strange how Pros call them "iToys" when my iPhone and my iPad are vital parts of my everyday business life as they are for millions of other people. They have also created a vast new business for app developers far larger than the industry we all work in. We're starting down the app development path at the moment and the potential is enormous.

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:58:58 pm

[Steve Connor] "I also find it strange how Pros call them "iToys" when my iPhone and my iPad are vital parts of my everyday business life as they are for millions of other people."

Another reason why I think "consumer" is the wrong word when people create the artificial "consumer" "professional" divide. iPhones and iPads are certainly used professionally and they're all over enterprise. One might say these are now the "personal computer" or maybe the "personal portable computer"
Notable is that such devices really are designed for only one user, whereas other computers can have multiple user accounts, some admin, some non admin, some guest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]