FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not just the pros

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernard Newnham
Not just the pros
on Jun 23, 2012 at 8:31:26 am

My London newspaper this morning has an article that suggests that the iPhone5 will ship with a different connector.

Potential buyers are quoted as saying "this won't fit my three docks", "what about the ten chargers around my house" and, best of all "Steve wouldn't have allowed this". Steve Jobs, agreeing to ship an Apple product that's incompatible with all the earlier versions? Never!

Bernie

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Not just the pros
on Jun 23, 2012 at 3:26:47 pm

It's based on rumors so I'd take it with a grain of salt. Also, even if true, it's not the first time Apple (or another company for that matter) have changed connectors on their devices. The company (or a third party) typically manufactures adapters for those with the older connectors. So all this hullabaloo is just another excuse to pile on or panic over nothing.

Some connector changes in the past...

• VGA - DVI
• DVI - mini display port
• Firewire 400 - Firewire 800
• Firewire 800 - Thunderbolt

In each of these circumstances, an adapter has been manufactured so that people are not out in the cold. This is the nature of technology advancement.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 23, 2012 at 5:30:51 pm

"• VGA - DVI
• DVI - mini display port
• Firewire 400 - Firewire 800
• Firewire 800 - Thunderbolt"

The odd one out is first one, which is common to all desktops - and the adapter always comes free with the graphics card. VGA is of course still standard on most laptops that are not Apple. Helps when you are doing your Powerpoints in university lecture theatres. Just plug in.

The others are mainly Apple, and we found to our cost in time and money in an emergency that if the only laptop around has Firewire 800, your standard Firewire cables don't fit. Much angst and shouting and running to the local Apple shop.

Another upgrade common to all systems is USB. Same connector for all flavours. No problem.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:39:34 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "The others are mainly Apple, and we found to our cost in time and money in an emergency that if the only laptop around has Firewire 800, your standard Firewire cables don't fit."

Firewire is a particular bane given there's 4 pin (400), 6 pin (400), 9 pin (800) so you need to have cables around to attach every variation of drive (and camera) to laptop.

Now the new PITA on the block is HDMI with the need for Video Input boxes and then HDMI to whatever the flavor you're walking into.

Now if only Thunderbolt in/out would become pervasive. If only other camera manufacturers followed Blackmagic's use of Thunderbolt out on their Cinema Camera.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:32:13 pm

[Andy Neil] "In each of these circumstances, an adapter has been manufactured so that people are not out in the cold."

Still waiting for my NuBus to PCI adaptor.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 23, 2012 at 6:46:05 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "My London newspaper this morning has an article that suggests that the iPhone5 will ship with a different connector. "

Surprise, surprise, technology marches on. The connector has been the same for 5 generations of the phone in todays terms that's not too bad.

Steve Connor
"The ripple command is just a workaround for not having a magnetic timelinel"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 24, 2012 at 8:51:36 am

"The connector has been the same for 5 generations of the phone in todays terms that's not too bad."

FCP has been compatible for seven generations of the software - in today's terms that's not too bad.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 24, 2012 at 9:49:32 am

Actually of course it is, it's really bad.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:39:29 pm

really?

Man I sure don't want know how felt when they went from floppy to CD to DVD... from serial to USB and Firewire and back to USB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]