FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5d Doc: to switch or no?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eben Abbaan
Canon 5d Doc: to switch or no?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:57:01 pm

Hi All,
I am shooting a documentary now, and am considering using FCP X because of its potential for handling DSLR video (I'm using a Canon 5d). My workflow now is to use FCP 6, transcode to ProRes, and sync audio with Pluraleyes. I then export big chunks of ProRes so as to "marry" the video and audio together. This is a pain because it's time-consuming and takes up a lot of disk space, but it's worth it because I get great images and good sound, and it's easy to edit.

FCP seems great, but my question is this: in the event that FCP X's audio sync fails (as Pluraleyes often does), can I sync clips manually? Is this more or less tedious than syncing clips in a timeline in FCP 6 (and then exporting or "marrying" the audio and video)?

Should I just forget FCP X for this project and stick to the plan I already know to work?

I need some thoughts and suggestions.

Much appreciated,
EA

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
Re: Canon 5d Doc: to switch or no?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:13:24 pm

I use a 5D and an AVCHD video camera to record recipe videos for our agency and I am switching to Premiere that supports both formats natively. I bought FCPX yesterday on the hopes it would speed things up, but actually FCPX renders everything to Pro Res anyway, just its happening in the background and it slows your Mac down in the process. There is not much good to say about this release which is why I requested a refund from Apple. It is not for professional use.

Return to posts index

Marc Roberts
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:29:17 pm

De select "create optimized media" in the preferences menu. The clips will not convert to pro rez and you can handle them natively.

I have a DLSR workflow and I am figuring out fcpx right now. There are a lot of things I like. Manual syncing of the clips is the same as in any other NLE should the auto sync fail (which it does often. I may be doing something wrong).

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:45:00 pm

Na, I prefer to use this product for three hours, swear off the company completely, then blindly react to every post - this is a much more productive workflow for me.

I'm switching to Microsoft ME, thank you. Windows Movie Maker is a fine editing program, and they LISTEN to their customers.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierro
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:39:41 pm

Your current workflow seems a little over-complicated. Rexporting the synced audio is an unnecessary step, and i'm sure very time consuming.

You can just link the synced clips in FCP 6 by hitting command-L.

That said, not having used X, I can't say if it would be any better or worse for you, though if you are thinking of getting an outside post facility to do any work (ie sound mix or colour correct) you'd be totally screwed with the current capabilities of FCP-X

Return to posts index

Eben Abbaan
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:28:20 pm

The reason I re-export is because I tend to have 20-40min audio clips and like 50 video clips that span that time period. Linking doesn't give me just the portion of good audio I want for any particular video clip.

Return to posts index

Justin Gutwein
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:03:26 am

There is a much faster way that doesn't require re-exporting. In the synced sequence, blade slice the audio along the edges of the video and link (command L) them together. Once link grab the "new clip" and drag it into your bin. This will create a new clip (still named MVI_0385 or whatever) that is linked to the HQ audio!

I have even tested moving the footage and audio in the finder, and when you reconnect it will ask you to find the video file and the audio file. The reconnect works fine!

Saves me a lot of time and space!!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:28:19 am

Rule #1 Never to an upgrade in the middle of a project.

I would post this in the final cut forum.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite